The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Who does your computer upgrades or repairs?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 24, 2007 10:13 AM PDT

-- Local computer shop (Name them, and give them a plug.)
-- Giant retailer (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) (Which retailer?)
-- Family member or friend (Are they OK with it?)
-- I do everything myself (How did you become so self-reliant?)
-- I don't, I just go out an buy a new computer (Do you have a lot of machines sitting around?)
-- Other (Who is it?)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who does your computer upgrades or repairs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who does your computer upgrades or repairs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
who does my computer repairs
by udrtrat / May 25, 2007 12:02 PM PDT

its Robyn,s Mobile Computer Services in Ingham, Qld. Australia. They have been right with me from the start when they sold me this magic box.

Collapse -
Self Reliant PC Repair
by maldelus / May 25, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

I learned the computer by having a Zenith Z248 dumped on me by the USN. I had to learn without schooling other than a blinking white cursor. I purchased and read the complete Time Life series "Understanding Computers." I took one college course in computer uses. I took advantage of NRI, PCDI, and ICS courses in computer repair and general use. Having purchased and using five different PCs, I had no choice but to work with a variety of software in the DOS and Windows environments and learning about keeping my PCs ticking. Heck, I even had a closet full of PC periperals and a variety of items from attaching screws, cables, drives, and various cards along with multimeters and tools. I can modify, upgrade and recommend based on traversing every evolution of PC from the 286 to the current dual core processor technology. Yes, I'm using and am hooked on Microsoft's Windows Vista Home Premium. At least I can say goodbye to the 56k modem limits.

Collapse -
Best computer configuration for photo and video computing?
by StarChart / May 26, 2007 4:10 AM PDT

I am heavily involved with digital photography and video processing. I use a 2004 Model Sony Vaio PCV-RZ54G, 3.20GHz Intel P4-HT CPU, 1G ram, 500G HD, GeForce FX5200 w/128meg, an ASUS P4SD-VL MB, WIN XPMCE 2005, 2 Optical drives plus externals. I use Adobe PS CS-2 and Creator 9 for photo and video work. I am interested in system configurations others find best for this type of work. This system is 3 years old and I need to prepare for the future.

Collapse -
Recovery CD's for Sony PCV-RZ54G
by vicwebb1 / May 23, 2008 12:58 AM PDT

My sons Sony PCV-RZ54G seems to have a bad hard disk and he didn't create the recovery CD's. Is it possible to get a copy from you. It is XP Media Edition. I've checked with Sony and some employee in their infinite wisdom decided not to offer these cd's for purchase anymore. You may e-mail me at: vicwebb1@comcast.net

Vic....

Collapse -
Who does my computer repairs
by lynnesmith / May 27, 2007 5:45 AM PDT

I always take my computer to Webb Systems at Bulwell in Nottingham. They are very good at fixing, upgrading and getting rid of any rubbish you have on your computer. They are a small but reliable business who will not rip you off and they do not charge the earth. I am very happy to deal with them and would not hesitate to recommend them.

Collapse -
update to above
by udrtrat / December 21, 2014 1:05 PM PST

I now use Bundaberg computer service since moving south. good place

Collapse -
I do most upgrades myself but
by jaflady / May 25, 2007 12:19 PM PDT

when certain things need doing (like replacing a motherboard as happened recently) or when I get baffled I call in a local guy who is a Mr Fix-it. He usually works with the tech crew at the local PC Club shop for parts and even more stubborn problems. Since I handle about 11 computers between work and home this works out well for all.

Collapse -
I do most all of the work myself but
by happygirlt / May 25, 2007 12:32 PM PDT

When I run into a problem I have to call Rick at ATTL Computers. He knows them inside and out.

Collapse -
I have the best...
by aliensquirl / May 25, 2007 12:47 PM PDT

The last couple of times I needed computer help I checked the white pages for a local shop and found OnSite Computers in Middle River, MD. I was very impressed with Jerry's knowledge and very appreciative of his reasonable charges. I would recommend him to anyone and won't hesitate to call him if I have more computer problems which I can't handle.

Mack B.

Collapse -
Not many places......
by Over_kill / May 27, 2007 4:33 PM PDT
In reply to: I have the best...

Yea, I'm here in Dundalk,MD. ,and there isn't too many places around,besides Bestbuy and Circuit City,but they are way too over priced for repairs.
I'll keep OnSite in mind.

Collapse -
I forgot to mention...
by aliensquirl / May 28, 2007 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Not many places......

... that OnSite does what their name implies... they do in-home work and I was under the weather last time I had puter problems.

I have also used Hi-Tech Processing at 525 Eastern Blvd. in Essex and they are very good with reasonable charges also, but they have cut down to two or three days weekly.

Collapse -
PC Technologies
by micron929rr / March 19, 2009 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Not many places......

Be sure to check out PC Technologies. They are located in the White Marsh area. You can drop off or they will even come to your house. Here is a link to their website www.pctechnologiesmd.com

Collapse -
Do it all myself
by winsoftwareman / May 25, 2007 12:48 PM PDT

My first computer was a windows 356. i then got a 98 and an hp laptop. my hp laptop got stolen, so i bought a Toshiba in 2002. I was still using 98 on my pc, but when 98's registry failed, i upgraded it to XP. with a un-costly RAM upgrade, it ran great. When vista came out, i got a lenovo vista home premium for $540! I still use my 2002 Toshiba laptop today, but I plan to get a lenovo laptop soon. I like lenovo now because the computers are cheap but reliable and fast.

Collapse -
i do it all myself
by data40 / May 25, 2007 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Do it all myself

i do myself becouse its cheaper an you know what is in there and if any thing goes wrong you can sort out the problem your self i would ot send it to the repair people becouse the mght look at turn it on and it might come on and they might say its done and they have not done any thing to it or they might change soft wear

Collapse -
Computer fix
by Neil Bradley / May 25, 2007 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: i do it all myself

I do it myself too-use Acronis AND external HD.It's a little tricky to learn but have 'fixed' my computer 4X already! :>)

Collapse -
None of the above
by FrankWoolf / May 25, 2007 12:54 PM PDT

I have used Macs since 1984 and stopped using PC around 1988. I don't recall ever needing to upgrade one of my Macs or have one repaired.

When I really need to upgrade the old one has usually been obsolete for some years so I give it to the kids.

Collapse -
So you're saying you go out and buy a new one?
by aka_tripleB / May 25, 2007 1:41 PM PDT
In reply to: None of the above

Sure you wait until it's definately obsolete, but it was one of the choses. So seems how it's been nearly 20 years you've gone out and bought a new one, how many Mac and PCs do you have laying around?

Collapse -
I use an IT Consulting Company.
by johncriley / May 25, 2007 12:59 PM PDT

I use a company called Atlanta Tech Services (www.atlantats.com) that does everything for me--- from quoting and setup to proactive support and monthly check ups. For my Small Business, they do contracts and serviced base support and my residential, they do service based. They also do audio visual, so I can go to them for anything! Even stuff from filming a wedding to setting up a projector!

Collapse -
I do everything myself
by jameshosmer / May 25, 2007 1:04 PM PDT

It is way cheaper to do it all myself. I find pretty good prices online and am able to do all of my upgrades myself. Everything I know about computers I learned by hands on trial and error over the past 15 years. Learning this way helped me get a job working for a computer company where I live.

Collapse -
How 2 popoff the side of my tower
by engin_loser_ / May 26, 2007 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: I do everything myself

0028598691, Gateway, Microsoft Windows 2000 XP. Hope that's enuf info. It heats up and I want to get inside to clean and also add a DVD or CDRW. It has 1 vertical cdrw, that I hate. You have to upload whatever you want to copy, then change the cdrw to download it. It's a pain. Any help is greatly appreciated. BTW, there are no screws or anything holding only 1 side so it appears it pops off. But Im not sure, that's why Im asking. TIA, Vixxen

Collapse -
Timex,Ti 994A, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, Gateway IBM Clone
by janenolan / May 27, 2007 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I do everything myself

I started out with the Timex Sinclair, Texas Instruments Ti994A, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 500, and then several Gateway IBM Clones which I still use with Windows XP. I do some of my upgrades myself and if it is over my head I call upon a friend who lives in Baltimore to assist me.

Collapse -
I Do It Myself
by edbrady / May 25, 2007 1:14 PM PDT

My first computer was an old Compaq, purchsed used, with Windows 95. I upgraded it to 98, then 98 SE, then Me.

For me, it was a LOT of money, even used. So, I learned everything I could about it.

Made LOTS of mistakes, and learned.

My next computer was a Dell. It came with 98Se, and I upgraded it to Me, then XP Home, then XP Pro.

At every step of the way, I learned all I could about what I had at each step.

Never failed me. Some now think of me as some kinda expert (which I'm not). But, if all "goes south," I can restore to where it was without a lot of hassle.

Why spend a lot of money on something and have no idea how it is put together?

Collapse -
I'm A Do-It-Yourselfer Desktop PC Man
by Archie Rabbit / May 26, 2007 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I Do It Myself

Before opening your unit, read the owner's manual, make sure that you log out, shut down the power and unplug the cords. Study the housing and compare it with your owner's manual's illustrations and detach it from your unit. Use a grounded anti-static mat to absorb your body's excess static electricity, so as not to damage the sensitive ICs. Vacuum the dust from the interior of the unit and off the circuit boards. If you need to upgrade the memory card to a higher capacity one, remove the fasteners, carefully pull out the old one straight out, without rocking it and note the designation and the shape of the circuit board's slide contacts. Buy the replacement memory card from your nearest electronics parts store. If there's an unused slot in the memory board, simply slide in the old memory card and the new one in the designated slots. Make sure that the memory cards are pushed in all the way into the slots before putting back in the fasteners. Close up the computer, plug in the cords, turn on the power and log in. You should notice a change in the memory capacity of yur PC in the SETTINGS. Thank you for reading this and good luck!

Collapse -
Repair
by screaming / May 26, 2007 3:16 AM PDT

Screaming Pcs has a lifetime warrinty and minimal charges for upgrades

Collapse -
i do it all
by eha1 / May 25, 2007 1:19 PM PDT

i do 2or 3 upgrades a week
and build 1or2 rebuilts,my first comp was a Apple2 the a comodor vic20,Ti(Texas Instrument)99,Tandy RS80(RadioShack)then my first windows based with the 3.1,seems i've been around since moby **** was a minnow ,when i started programing ment you had to end everything line by line
(goto*line70-start.exe) Now i have it in with the local recycleing center and pretty much get anydiscarded part of system for free
then i rebuild them and donate them to the local schools and handicaped,needy familys ,whoam ever and i started repairing my own stuff when i became tired of waiting for my comp to come back from repair and they never give you a loaner
then i started installing software and then the hardware just came after
its like a big model for me ,and trust me a blew up a bunch when i first started lol
anybody can be a parts installer, it getting them all to play together ,thats the hard part
right noe im checking out the new solairs10 o/s
supose to be the most advanced in the world
but we will see
i love a challenge\
EvilHandyAndy

Collapse -
by Shewak / May 25, 2007 4:24 PM PDT
In reply to: i do it all

I too do it myself. I took up and learned the Computer assembling course twice, at two different Institutes, that also at the age of 61 and 63. And then, when very close friends & relatives came to know about me, first thing they use to ask was, about the Brand, type & configurations of computers to buy! I use to give them FREE advice. As & when I became popular among close friends & relatives, I started repairing/trouble shooting their computers and become a bit expert. And now, repairing/or trouble shooting of computers have become my Hobby, and believe me I do it absolutely free to any one who approach me and I do it with my pleasure. I really feel proud of my self and it is time pass for me at this age.

Lakhiani Shewak
shewak@gmail.com

Collapse -
need help on do a complete reistall of all backup disc
by choc / February 25, 2008 6:02 AM PST

I have a gateway desktop that needs a reinstall,I have the backup cd's I have know problem reinstalling windows, but I don't know how to reinstall all my drivers which I have on backup I want to do a complete reinstall because my computer sometimes take's two or more time's to boot up. my desktop is a gateway 556GE

Collapse -
I bought a computer service contract
by vince8 / May 25, 2007 1:55 PM PDT

When I purchaced my computer, they offered a 4 year parts and lobor warranty. I have already used it. My hard drive went up on a thursday afternoon, I called tech support, had a tech with a new drive at my house the very next day. less than 12 hours after I called it in. Can't ask for more than that!

Collapse -
Who does my computer upgrades or repairs?
by JonJontheMighty / May 25, 2007 2:01 PM PDT

The best in the business ?Dell?, a very professional company.
That makes absolutely certain your system is in perfect working order

Collapse -
by pchts / May 25, 2007 2:47 PM PDT

I do most of my repairs, if something gives me real problems I have a tech come to the house and do the repairs in-house. My machine never leaves the house! Why take a chance leaving it with the in-store geeks who could steal your information right off your HD. It may cost a little more to have them come to the house but they are less likely to steal your stuff if you're standing over them and watching.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.