HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

Who digitally supports old school 4x5 photography?

by donsrs / May 3, 2006 11:43 AM PDT

I'm continually impressed by the exponential developments in digital photography but while image quality continues to improve, I don't see anyone bringing in the age-old ability for perspective correction available on our old 4x5's.
Recently, true distortion-free wide angle lenses have come on the market but that still doesn't give the architectural photographer the range of adjustments available on his fifty-year-old camera.
Does anyone make something like Nikon's old shift lens (can this be used on the new Nikon SLR's?)or is anyone developing a camera with digital controls like a 4x5? I'm sure there is a market for this and it doesn't appear to me to be a great tecnological hurdle. In the meantime we have to haul a 10 MP digital and twenty pounds of gear to get the shot we need.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who digitally supports old school 4x5 photography?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who digitally supports old school 4x5 photography?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon has shift and tilt lenses. There are also digital
by Kiddpeat / May 3, 2006 12:04 PM PDT

backs that work with 4x5s. Cheap they are not.

Collapse -
Here are the Canon Tilt-Shift lenses
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 4, 2006 12:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the info
by donsrs / May 4, 2006 2:24 PM PDT

pricey but worth a look. Of course I'd have to switch cameras and that makes it even more expensive.

Collapse -
20 pound comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2006 12:03 AM PDT

Even I remember those cameras with bellows and you could crank the lens to just about any direction to do interesting perspectives.

I thought the gear in the car was closer to 50 pounds.

Bob

Collapse -
can this be used on the new Nikon SLR's?
by steimed / May 4, 2006 12:48 AM PDT

I believe that the lens will still work on Nikon film cameras but will not use the various automatic features of the new camera. I understand that the lens does not work on Nikon digital cameras. I'm holding on to my trusty 30-year-old Nikon F (bought used at that).

Collapse -
Large Format Digital Cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 4, 2006 9:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Those are medium format. I recently saw a back for
by Kiddpeat / May 4, 2006 12:18 PM PDT

a bellows type 4x5. It could be the same unit I guess, but I didn't stop long enough to find out. No matter what, it's too rich for me at this point.

Collapse -
Maybe some old technology shouldn't be thrown away
by donsrs / May 4, 2006 2:50 PM PDT

Thanks for the info on the Mamiya, I'm sure it is quite expensive, but also overflowing with features - most of which I am sure I won't use.
There is something about the simplicity of a 4x5, with manual adjustments, external metering and visual rather than electronic feedback that is hard to replicate in today's cameras. The world is moving very quickly these days but I don't have to so I think I'll just keep going the way I have until someone recognizes that complexity should be in the photographer' eye, not the equipment.
I can have the best lenses and cameras at a fraction of the cost of the digital vesions, I just need to go the extra step of printing and a high-res drum scan.
Of course, if I was a sports or journalist photographer...different story.

Collapse -
Cost Effectiveness
by jump1127 / May 7, 2006 4:40 PM PDT

In my personal opinion, the digital camera doesn't do well in the large format and medium format camera sectors due to the cost effectiveness. Digital large and medium format cameras are currently too expensive. Instead, many professionals rather use with the film large-format camera and a expensive and good scanner. In other words, the best scanner, capacity around 20 megapixels quality, cost around $1,000 which is far less than over $ 20,000 ( minimum price of medium format digital camera ). In additions, the film still provides the better dynamic range for the cheaper costs. Many people may disagree.

Collapse -
I don't know where you are getting your scanner prices, but
by Kiddpeat / May 7, 2006 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Cost Effectiveness

it is way too low. It is quite true that many large and medium format shooters are using scanners, but the scanner that many use costs almost $20,000.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.