Computer Help forum

General discussion

who ate my RAM?

by 1wannabesmart2 / March 29, 2004 6:59 PM PST

I am running a four-year old PC with a new pentium 4 2.0 Ghz processor, 256 MB of DDR266 RAM and an nVidia TNT2 with 32MB RAM.
I run Windows XP with service pack 1A. I also use cacheman, a utility that shows you how much RAM is used and free.
Cacheman shows me that over 55% of my total 256 MB RAM is being used when I have absolutely NO programs running.
Is something wrong with my machine or the memory sticks or is the application just inaccurate?
I cannot currently afford to upgrade my RAM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: who ate my RAM?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: who ate my RAM?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hopefully there is no free RAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2004 7:15 PM PST
In reply to: who ate my RAM?

The memory article at http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm might help, but in VM based OSes, the idea is to have no free memory since such would be wasted memory. If one was to be able to keep 256M free out of 512M on a certain OS, what difference could there be if you had 0 bytes free on 256M? To limit the application/OS to keep free memory on a VM OS is well discussed and the idea of free memory is a DOS legacy item.

In short, RAM beats hard disk speed everytime. As such, try to use all the memory.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:who ate my RAM?
by Willy / March 29, 2004 11:49 PM PST

The ram is always active(not idle) in a XP-OS system and at least some processes are running for XP housekeeping. Cacheman itself really isn't a good idea under any windoze OS becauses it wastes ram to do itself as well. XP provides a picture of what going on under its "task window" in effect just like cacheman many times it reports at 100%. Though you could use a ulitity that "optimizes" whatver installed pgms. and tasks are working for a cleaner system operation, such as Norton or I use TuneUp Ulitiies 2003 but also those from Ontrack SystemSuite, Aladin utilities(sp), etc. should do the job as well. So, don't rely to heavily in cachman, its days were for win95 and DOS.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
by Brandon Eng / March 30, 2004 8:14 AM PST

"I have absolutely NO programs running". Well, you probably have many Services running. You may want to try visiting http://www.blkviper.com to get a handle on what Services are running, and what (in his opinion) should be turned off. By default, XP turns on many unneeded Services. Just make sure you keep track of any changes you make in the event you need to reverse the process. You may also want to google "optimizing XP" for tips on how to make the most of your 256 megs. Ideally, imo, you should have a minimum of 512, but depending on the applications you run, you may get by with 256. When you can afford it, I strongly suggest you upgrade at least another 256. Good luck.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / March 30, 2004 8:26 PM PST
Cacheman shows me that over 55% of my total 256 MB RAM is being used when I have absolutely NO programs running

You can check via the command prompt by typing net start which give a list of all active services.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!