Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Who asked about foreign aid for Katrina?

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 10, 2005 1:44 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who asked about foreign aid for Katrina?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who asked about foreign aid for Katrina?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And still some confusion
by JP Bill / September 10, 2005 2:10 PM PDT
German plane carrying Katrina aid turned back

Military craft did not have authorization, German official says

AP

Updated Sept 10,2005

BERLIN - A German military plane carrying 15 tons of military rations for survivors of Hurricane Katrina was sent back by U.S. authorities, officials said Saturday.

The plane was turned away Thursday because it did not have the required authorization, a German government spokesman said.

The spokesman, speaking on customary condition of anonymity, declined to comment on a report in the German news magazine Der Spiegel that U.S. authorities refused the delivery on the grounds that the NATO military rations could carry mad cow disease

The spokesman said U.S. authorities had since given approval for future aid flights, but it was unclear whether the German military would try again to deliver the rations.

Since Hurricane Katrina struck the United States, many international donors have complained of frustration that bureaucratic entanglements have hindered shipments to the United States.

A U.S. Embassy official, who agreed to discuss the matter only if not quoted by name, blamed the German flight?s rejection on temporary technical and logistical problems that have accompanied recovery operations in the devastated region.

German military planes have flown several loads of rations to the Gulf Coast. Berlin is also sending teams equipped with high-capacity pumps to help clear floodwaters.

Entire article
Collapse -
I was the one
by TONI H / September 10, 2005 9:34 PM PDT

who asked about where the UN was for our disaster four or five days after the flooding......it was a few days after that that an announcement was made by Rice that offers from 12 countries had come in with indications that more would come on board and that the White House was talking with all of them.

As for the other response here about the German flight being turned back, I would that after 9-11, the USA would be very cautious about getting authorization, even if the aid is badly needed, since we didn't need a 'second' disaster because of 'unknowns' regarding the aid. The evacuees had already been put through the mill many times over....a bad food supply or some other wide-spread contaminent (deliberate or otherwise) is something we would have to at the very least consider as a possibility. Vulnerability and outside "aid" could easily come hand in hand........

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And it was a military plane at that.
by Evie / September 10, 2005 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: I was the one
Collapse -
a bad food supply or some other wide-spread contaminent
by JP Bill / September 11, 2005 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I was the one
Historic shipment of food, supplies

The Mexican army trucks, filled with of thousands of ready-to-eat meals, drinking water and medical equipment, were searched at the border like regular vehicles and took two hours to cross into Laredo, Texas.

I've heard stories of people having problems with the food and water in Mexico.
Collapse -
Concern about bad meat slightly delayed
by John Robie / September 11, 2005 12:58 AM PDT

the Mexican army's cooking efforts in San Antonio, but they were well equipped, organized and set up their kitchen here to help feed the evacuatees. The Mexican army won't be serving up carne guisada to evacuees as planned. The SA Health District said the USDA wouldn't approve beef the army planned to use in its dishes. ''Because they're beef products, there were some concerns about mad cow and all of that''. The health inspectors checked the army's food and requirements Friday night but didn't try to close the operation. ''It was more a precautionary measure than anything else''.

Gleaned from this mornings San Antonio Express-Newspaper.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?