General discussion

Who am I

by Mac McMullen / September 20, 2008 6:59 AM PDT

Who Am I?
I am under 45 years old.
I love the outdoors.
I hunt.
I have many children.
I have held high level political appointments.
I am a Republican reformer.
I have taken on the Republican Party establishment.
I have a spot on the national ticket as vice president with less than two years in the governor's office.
Can you guess who I am? (scroll down)
I am Teddy Roosevelt in 1900.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Who am I
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Who am I
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The giveaway....
by Josh K / September 20, 2008 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Who am I

....was in items 5, 6 and 7 which do not apply to the current Republican candidate. Wink

Collapse -
Guess you need some History lessons...
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: The giveaway....

because you are most decidedly WRONG.

Collapse -
Really?
by Josh K / September 20, 2008 7:36 AM PDT

What high-level political appointments does she have?

Collapse -
For one...
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Really?

Palin served on the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which is quite important in Alaska and considering the energy situation, to the US.

Next...

Collapse -
That's a high-level political appointment???
by Josh K / September 20, 2008 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: For one...

Sure, if you say so. I was thinking along the lines of an ambassador or something, but whatever.

She can see Russia from her yard though!

Collapse -
YOU were thinking?
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 7:50 AM PDT

Did you write that piece Mac quoted?

Collapse -
She can see Russia from her yard though!
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 8:03 AM PDT

By the way, you know she never said that, right? That was a joke on SNL. Some dopes think she said it. Charlie Rangel for instance also quoted it.

What she actually said was: "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Which is true.

Some people in the world can't tell Iowa from Minnesota. Some think there are 57 states in he US. Go figure.

Collapse -
Right
by Josh K / September 20, 2008 8:48 AM PDT

She tried to gain foreign policy cred by saying she could see Russia from parts of Alaska. I know it wasn't actually her yard but what's the difference?

Collapse -
No she didn't, but...
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Right

When are you going to address the other two points?

For extra credit...what were Bill Clinton's Foreign policy credentials when he was running for PRESIDENT??

Collapse -
Yes she did
by JP Bill / September 20, 2008 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: No she didn't, but...

What she actually said was: "They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

And here is the setup for her response

GIBSON: Let's start, because we are near Russia, let's start with Russia and Georgia.

The administration has said we've got to maintain the territorial integrity of Georgia. Do you believe the United States should try to restore Georgian sovereignty over South Ossetia and Abkhazia?

PALIN: First off, we're going to continue good relations with Saakashvili there. I was able to speak with him the other day and giving him my commitment, as John McCain's running mate, that we will be committed to Georgia. And we've got to keep an eye on Russia. For Russia to have exerted such pressure in terms of invading a smaller democratic country, unprovoked, is unacceptable and we have to keep...

GIBSON: You believe unprovoked.

PALIN: I do believe unprovoked and we have got to keep our eyes on Russia, under the leadership there. I think it was unfortunate. That manifestation that we saw with that invasion of Georgia shows us some steps backwards that Russia has recently taken away from the race toward a more democratic nation with democratic ideals.That's why we have to keep an eye on Russia.

And, Charlie, you're in Alaska. We have that very narrow maritime border between the United States, and the 49th state, Alaska, and Russia. They are our next door neighbors.We need to have a good relationship with them. They're very, very important to us and they are our next door neighbor.

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in
Alaska.

So Gibson was asking about Russian actions in Georgia and her response was

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in
Alaska.

Like if someone said to me, what do you know about the guy on the other side of town....if i go down the road 5 miles and get on top of that hill...I can see his house. but I don't know what he's doing in the house...but I can see it.

Collapse -
But she did NOT claim...
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes she did

that she was qualified because you could see Russia from Alaska. That's what Josh claimed. "She tried to gain foreign policy cred by saying she could see Russia from parts of Alaska." Nope.

And she actually DID give a pretty detailed answer about Georgia and the Russian situation.

The fact that Russia more or less borders on Alaska could lead to frictions, incidents, etc., So it's not unimportant.

So what's the problem?

I'll tell you what it is, Josh hates her. That's all there is to it. Simple and ugly as that.

Bye now.

Collapse -
Cindy McCain also used Russia and Alaska Proximity
by JP Bill / September 20, 2008 1:25 PM PDT

Russia and Georgia are Foreign countries.

She responded look how close we are.

Today on ABC?s This Week, Cindy McCain tried to rebut the criticism that Gov. Sarah Palin (R-AK) has no national experience by taking a talking point from Fox?s Steve Doocy. McCain pointed to the fact that Palin?s state is near Russia:

STEPHANOPOULOS: But she has no national security experience.

McCAIN: You know, the experience that she comes from is what she?s done in government, and remember, Alaska is the closest part of our continent to Russia. It?s not as if she doesn?t understand what?s at stake here.

yes...bye now

Collapse -
Cindy McCain isn't running for anythibg...
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 8:48 PM PDT

Anyway, you took it out of context.

And, in spite of clumsy editing, I am still waiting for Josh to address the other two points he claims Palin is unlike TR on.

Collapse -
RE:Anyway, you took it out of context.
by JP Bill / September 20, 2008 11:12 PM PDT

because Cindy McCain put the answer out of context.

I'll highlight "what I think" the answer should have been.

here is the exchange

STEPHANOPOULOS: But she has no national security experience.

McCAIN: You know, the experience that she comes from is what she?s done in government, and remember, Alaska is the closest part of our continent to Russia. It?s not as if she doesn?t understand what?s at stake here.

If Cindy McCain wasn't saying "national security" experience is "living next door" she shouldn't have brought that geographical tidbit up.

And I know she's not running for anything, but she's speaking for someone.

Collapse -
Whatever...
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 11:17 PM PDT

But she DID NOT claim Foreign Policy creds based on Alaska being near Russia.

So, where's Josh with his answer about the other two points?

Collapse -
RE: So, where's Josh
by JP Bill / September 20, 2008 11:21 PM PDT

Well, I'm not Josh

Were is it written that people have to respond to your request?

People can answer/ not answer/ answer the question they want you to ask/ change the subject and talk about flying squirrels/ and rides.

The possibilities are endless.

Collapse -
He made a claim...
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 11:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
RE: He made a claim...
by JP Bill / September 20, 2008 11:36 PM PDT

OK before we start up the "ride" I want you to agree that you know you are getting on a ride and will not make reference to "flying squirrels" or "rides"

Collapse -
(NT) No deals.
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 11:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sure she did
by Josh K / September 21, 2008 12:21 AM PDT

It was the totality of her response to the question. "You can see it from Alaska." Therefore it's reasonable to believe that she considered it a satisfactory response to the question.

Collapse -
No. It was NOT...
by EdHannigan / September 21, 2008 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure she did

the totality of her answer. Read the thread.

So, you gonna back up your claim about the other two points? This is really just a silly distraction; fooling no one.

Collapse -
You do know.....
by Josh K / September 21, 2008 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: No she didn't, but...

.....that Clinton received a degree from the Georgetown University school of Foreign Service, don't you? He was well educated in manners of foreign affairs. He also studied Government at Oxford.

Palin didn't even get a passport until around a year ago.

Collapse -
Hahahaha
by EdHannigan / September 21, 2008 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: You do know.....

Pretty weak considering his terrible record in Foreign Policy.

Collapse -
You asked, I answered
by Josh K / September 21, 2008 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Hahahaha

Not that I expected you acknowledge that he did, in fact, understand quite a bit about foreign policy before he became President.

Collapse -
HA HA HA !!! Reading about it is experience???
by critic411 / September 21, 2008 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: You asked, I answered

When you need a heart transplant, choose the guy who read about it !!

Collapse -
Not enough apparently....
by EdHannigan / September 21, 2008 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: You asked, I answered

He didn't do too well.

How long are you going to dodge the real question?

Collapse -
(NT) So, you going to address the other two points?
by EdHannigan / September 21, 2008 2:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) two out of three ain't bad !!
by critic411 / September 21, 2008 2:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yeah, I guess...
by J. Vega / September 21, 2008 2:51 AM PDT

Yeah, I's guess that if you decided to run out on a ROTC commitment and go to Oxford, you'd need a passport to travel there.

Collapse -
Reminder....
by EdHannigan / September 21, 2008 3:20 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!