system running any better, its either like this:the one that said i was
error free is crap, or the one that said i had 174 errors fabricated the
results to make its product look good..or both, i buy products from your
site on your recommendations many times over the years but this is one
product i am so unsure about and suspicious i feel further investigating
needs to be done.
thanks for your time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: who agrees?????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: who agrees?????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: registry errors
by Kees Bakker / October 9, 2005 8:11 PM PDT
In reply to: who agrees?????

One simple advice: don't clean the registry in Windows XP, unless it's the only way to solve problems that are otherwise unsolvable.

There is no clear definition of 'registry error'. So every program has its own rules, which explains differences between them. If the rules are reasonable or not can only be judged by inspecting what they remove, not by simply counting how much they remove.
And you don't write anything about that.

My definition for the moment: a registry error is something in the registry causing errors running Windows or an application. And that can only be judged when you run such, not by having a look at the registry alone. This might not be fully true, but it's good enough for the purpose.

Kees

Collapse -
Registry repair
by sabyasachi_lawyer / October 21, 2005 2:53 AM PDT

Try 'Windows Registry Repair SE'. It works very well with WINDOWS XP. But I think u'd better re-install u'r O.S. & format u'r partitions once first.

Collapse -
Registry repair, real or scam?
by Charlesrod / October 24, 2005 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Registry repair

I have tried RegistryFix v. 3.0 and Registry Mechanic with essentially the same results as Mikehunt, although I wasn't as thorough before I gave up trying to determine if these programs really do what they say they do. It's all very confusing. Can anyone out there tell me if any of these programs are worth what they cost or is it all just a big scam? I am not looking for philosophical musings; I need to know unequivocally how to clean up my computer before I spend any money to do so.
Thanks.

Charlesrod

Collapse -
Registry repair
by The Fly / October 31, 2005 8:50 PM PST

I would not trust any program to blindly change my registry. I consider these programs only a way to identify possible errors that I have to determine whether or not those are true errors and then I will decide if the fix they suggest is valid before I would let it actually do anything to the file(s).

Collapse -
Who agrees???
by Henry Williams / October 31, 2005 1:26 PM PST

Registry Cleaners (valid or invalid) that is the question:

I ran across the same scam with several registry cleaners. After tracing a few of the so-called 147 invalid files, I noted that the files were valid and the manufacture would add a character at the end of there file. It goes something like this. HKEY_CURRENT USER Software etc. etc. percentage sign1. In other words there was not anything wrong with the file in the first place and the program is inserting or in some cases, looking for a character that should not be in the file in the first place. I have Norton and utilize freeware RegSeeker. I run the Norton performance test. That is in the Norton System Utilities. All is well. I agree there should be an investigation and benchmark what product is legit. Well enough said on that I am not going to go nuts over a microsecond.

Collapse -
Just my thoughts
by nodakpaul57 / November 2, 2005 9:22 AM PST

I've come to the conclusion that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I only run a couple of spyware detection programs along with AVG antivirus and as long as my computer is humming along I'm not going to go fooling around in the registry, no matter how many "errors" the registry cleaners say I have. There are so many programs out there that will tell you your computer is broken unless you use their software to "fix" it, although you are using it just fine.

Collapse -
I don't completely agree.
by PKsteven / November 2, 2005 10:50 AM PST

I can say this, many registry editors will differ in many ways and you aren't really being scammed.
Some will consider files (bad) and need repairing or removing that may not be any harm, while others may find actual files that need to be fixed but still consider other files bad. Then there are some that find needed files and usually warn against this but will delete needed files, along with actual bad files and ones that aren't considered bad by some. Follow so far? So, for some, yes they claim a certain number of safe files, ones that cause no harm and don't need to be removed to try and out-do the other guy. While most of the top cleaners do this, usually they still get rid of\fix bad files. So, in short, they aren't scams but use different types of files that can be detected and rid of without harming the system to make their software look good.
I have tried as many reg cleaners\fixers as possible and the only two I trust, one is included in Vcom Fix -it utilites, which does a wonderful job on the registry and you can actually tell the difference. Along with all that, it has (excellent) Anti virus, reg defrag, backup, and darn near everything you can think of included. I don't put a plug for this and I don't work for them but I simply say this is one of the only all in one tools that actually do what it's supposed to. 6 years, two upgrades only and no problems. The anti spyware on the new ver.6 works great, finds everything ad aware can and in less than a minute.
The other is Ccleaner. It's a free little app that erases history tracks, has a great little reg fixer that allows you to backup before cleaning. There is a new version but now they want $ so I stay with the old one. It's not that I mind buying something but it's not that worthy in my eyes, the free version works great anyway.
So, to be honest, I have not been impressed by any of the top reg cleaners and have never used them again. The one in Vcom, really sorts it out and allows me to manually go through and get rid of things if I want but is also auto.
over and out Paul

Collapse -
Finally!! Something that makes sense.
by Minor Tron God / November 4, 2005 6:27 AM PST

Tracking this, I was starting to believe I knew less than what I know I don't know. I don't have a powerfull all in one utility for doing all the housekeeping and security needed to keep a system running smooth. What I have used on the Registry is a dizzying array of different programs, but only 2 stand out from the rest. 1 was a trial to buy, ACE Utilities by Ace Logix, and CCleaner free from download.com. They were the only ones that gave me the same results when tested in comparisons, needless to say which one I kept.

MTG

Collapse -
WINDOWS REGISTRY REPAIR SE
by sabyasachi_lawyer / November 20, 2005 1:18 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.