Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Whither now the Democrats?

I can only guess of how this one hurt. However, it's perfectly appropriate to ask the question I asked given that the present course just isn't working for the Dems. I found this piece in the San Francisco Chronicle almost a month ago, and promptly forgot about it until today when I was cleaning out all my 2004 election bookmarks. The piece, I believe, gives us a look at what we can expect from the Democrats in the days to come; a continued slide into political irrelevance:

Fights over a political party's future are common after the party loses a big election. But John Kerry figures to face a fight over control of the party from fellow Democrats even if he beats George W. Bush on Nov. 2.

Influential figures on the party's left wing are planning a long-term campaign to move the Democrats to the left, just as right-wing activists took over the Republican Party and moved it to the right over the past 30 years.

If the left's campaign is successful, it could transform the political landscape of the United States, changing the terms of debate and bringing dramatically different policies on local, national and international issues.

After George McGovern's landslide loss to Richard Nixon in 1972, some centrist Democrats argued that Democrats had become too liberal to win national elections.

The accusation was repeated after Michael Dukakis' lopsided loss to George Bush in 1988. Leading the charge was the Democratic Leadership Council, a group of centrist Democrats who subsequently pushed the party rightward on crime, economics and foreign policy during the presidency of Bill Clinton, himself a council supporter.

Now, leftist Democrats are planning to challenge the centrists' control. The leftists argue that many Democrats, especially the party establishment in Washington, have become too much like Republicans and too afraid to stand up to right-wingers like George W. Bush.

There's only one problem with this analogy as I see it: If the Republicans were successful under Ronald Reagan and his heirs to move their party to the right, it was primarily because enough Americans were suppportive of the move to make it a success at the ballot box. Does anyone really see a similar groundswell in favor of a sharp leftward move by the Democrats? Can anyone see this being an electoral winner?

"We're going to celebrate with John Kerry the night of Nov. 2. But the morning of Nov. 3, we're going to start organizing to take the party away from him, because we have serious disagreements about what the party should stand for and where this country needs to go," said one activist at the "What We Stand For" conference, Bertha Lewis, co-chair of the Working Families Party in New York state and a leader in the grassroots antipoverty group, ACORN.

"In 2004, we have to elect anyone but Bush," said a veteran labor strategist working to link unions with other progressive groups. "But if we keep working and build on the lessons learned and the partnerships we're forging during this fight against Bush, we can elect somebody we really like four or eight years from now."

All this signals a historic shift in the American left's approach to national politics. In the past, left-wing groups and individuals would moan about a Democratic nominee's perceived deficiencies and defect to a protest candidate, such as Ralph Nader or Jesse Jackson.

By contrast, the Beat Bush Brigades are showing a new patience and maturity. They are working in the short term to elect a Democrat they see as imperfect in order to build their movement's strength over the long term.

Democrats like Zell Miller, who see clearly the self-built trap the party is falling into, will have a stark choice to make: They can stay with the sinking ship, keep fighting to prevent the Dems from self-destruction....or become Republicans!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whither now the Democrats?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whither now the Democrats?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I feel really sorry for Kerry

In reply to: Whither now the Democrats?

He's apparently wanted to be President and worked toward that end his whole life (not that I agree with how he went about it). Now not only did he lose, but to realize he was just a warm body the Dems stuck up there as a sacrifice has to really hurt.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
I feel sorry for him only because...

In reply to: I feel really sorry for Kerry

...he's married to Teresa Heinz, who seems like a demanding, unloving, woman who seems more to tolerate Kerry as a husband than actually love him.

Collapse -
I heard she once said that she'd give up all her money

In reply to: I feel sorry for him only because...

to get her husband back. The comment I heard about that was that it wasnt clear whether she was talking about Kerry or her first husband.

Collapse -
By now Kerry would...

In reply to: I heard she once said that she'd give up all her money

...give all her money to have the other husband come back too!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Let's not mock a widow's loss, please.

In reply to: By now Kerry would...

Collapse -
Whither? Rejected by Americans, yuk yuk yuk!

In reply to: Whither now the Democrats?

Paul, the leftists keep trying to find new deceptive ways to package leftism and foist it on the country by whatever dishonest means they can devise each and every day. Real Americans hate their guts (hey, what about Daschle and Kerry today? lol) but they don't get it and never will, which redounds to the benefit of real Americans.

They'll continue on the same way, because that's what leftists do. And they'll continue to slide into the deep end of the irrelevancy pool. Yuk yuk yuk!

I have no sympathy for them today or any other day. I'm just glad that their lies cost them power this time rather than gained it. Yuk yuk yuk!

DE

Collapse -
May I humbly suggest in the mean time...

In reply to: Whither? Rejected by Americans, yuk yuk yuk!

that y'all get on with it and quit governing by reactionaryism. The opposite of what us "leftists" believe, is not necessarily the best thing for the country.

Collapse -
All reasoned thought is welcome

In reply to: May I humbly suggest in the mean time...

And always will be. I'm glad to hear good ideas from anybody who has the time to speak their mind.

But TODAY I'm gloating and that's that, lol.

DE

Collapse -
Yeah? Well thank you (I guess) very much.

In reply to: All reasoned thought is welcome

Party on, Garth!

Sad

Collapse -
Re: Yeah? Well thank you (I guess) very much.

In reply to: Yeah? Well thank you (I guess) very much.

Oh I WILL, lol. Been stepped on for four years, one day isn't an excessive time of yukking it up.

Yuk yuk yuk!

DE

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "Been stepped on for four years"??? Ahhh! Poor baby!

In reply to: Re: Yeah? Well thank you (I guess) very much.

Collapse -
Four years of daily "Republican this! / Bush that!" crap

In reply to: (NT) "Been stepped on for four years"??? Ahhh! Poor baby!

on the forum, EVERY steenkin day. But it helped us win. Unintentionally, but it helped, so it was worth it, lol.

Yuk yuk yuk!~

DE

Collapse -
Alright, Dave'O. Yuk yuk yuk!~ It's good to be King!

In reply to: Four years of daily "Republican this! / Bush that!" crap

You saying WE didn't take grief the last four years!?!

Yuk'a'dy Yuk-O' Unitifier!

Collapse -
It's good for a day at least!

In reply to: Alright, Dave'O. Yuk yuk yuk!~ It's good to be King!

I can only say what it's been like on this side of the fence, and that's how it looks from here.

DE

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Enjoy your day, my friend.

In reply to: It's good for a day at least!

Collapse -
Thanks Bob

In reply to: (NT) Enjoy your day, my friend.

I did enjoy yukking it up for a day, can't deny it. Tomorrow I'll go back to being a regular ahole instead of a top fuel one, lol.

DE

Collapse -
Religious right or angry right

In reply to: Whither? Rejected by Americans, yuk yuk yuk!

There is so much anger coming from the republicans,you'd almost think they lost.
I guess there's no such thing as a gracious winner...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.