Samsung forum

Rant

White Spots, no help

by sel224 / September 21, 2012 2:11 AM PDT

I have a Samsung 55" DLP tv. It developed the white / black spot problem and is now unusable. I've called service, and was told they would be happy to send a repair person ... and charge me ~$400 for the repair. This is a known manufacturing defect, I see the issue all over the place. I asked for review with a customer service manager, and was promised a call back the next business day. No call ... no communication. I called back, and was told again that the repair was my problem.

If this is how Samsung treats its customers, please tell me why I would ever purchase another Samsung product?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White Spots, no help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White Spots, no help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd like to see more about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: White Spots, no help
Collapse -
Lightly used
by sel224 / September 21, 2012 4:31 AM PDT

Thanks - the repair looks straightforward and I've done similar things. But it's still

FYI, the TV was very lightly used (I travel a lot and don't watch much TV when I'm home) and just over 3 years old ... there's limited life span and then there's complete junk.

Collapse -
I think folk know what I think.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Lightly used

Look at figure 9 at http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/dlpdmd/133_ieeeir.pdf

Notice how lifetime is much less as temperatures rise? Now did any maker tell you to get in there and clean heatsinks and more every year or so?

-> More to the point, if this unit was set close to the wall or in an enclosed space the life span plummets. All the makers that used this Ti component are now feeling a little heat. So life span is all over the map.
Bob

Collapse -
Heat Sink
by sel224 / September 25, 2012 1:13 AM PDT

Great, so this is known and they didn't bother to tell customers? Why again did I register my TV? If only they had an easy way to communicate with customers that didn't require a lot of cost and effort ... like some sort of magical mail that could fly through the air to land in the hands of each customer, requiring only a few minutes to compose a note and send to as many people as needed at nominal cost. That would make it so easy to satisfy their customers.

Collapse -
They can't in my opinion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Heat Sink

Look at the common laptop. The same issue exists yet you don't find a note in the packing to tell you to used canned air once a year.

I think I know why. Imagine if a laptop maker did supply such detail. A consumer would buy the other maker because that other maker omitted that detail.
Bob

Collapse -
Actually
by sel224 / September 25, 2012 11:31 PM PDT

Yes, as I consider this a design flaw. This is not true of all laptops, just laptops with poor heat management and overall design. A bizarre number of laptops are sold with a warning label on the bottom advising the user not to put them on their laps. But the better laptops understand the issue and design around it.

However, if it was an unavoidable issue with all devices of its type, I'd appreciate it if the vendor told me how to keep my laptop working well, I'd like it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.