Samsung forum

General discussion

White dots on Samsung

by tjmorales1432 / April 27, 2012 12:35 AM PDT

I was just informed after my third call that Samsung would not assist in repairing my TV - They stated that the technicians found that it was normal wear and tear on my model. Now I have a Samsung, 10.1 table, a 32" smart TV, a Galaxy Nexus and this defective TV model HL50A650C1FXZA - I may have to switch over to someone that has a better lasting rate. My old TV is still working with no issues after 15 years. Granted it may be heavy and bulky but I do not have to replace it every 3 to 4 years. Anyone else haveing this issue with Samsung.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White dots on Samsung
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White dots on Samsung
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
White Dot Problem with HL50A650C1FXZA
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 27, 2012 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: White dots on Samsung

tjmorales1432,

Sorry to hear about the problem with your TV. I'm going to see what we can do for you. Could you get me a transaction # from those calls you made?

Hope you have a good day!

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
by tjmorales1432 / April 27, 2012 6:07 AM PDT

I will send them to you on Monday - I have them listed at my office.. Thanks

Collapse -
by tjmorales1432 / May 1, 2012 12:30 AM PDT

On the first call I was just given the number to the closest samsung repair place and given an 888-476-3387 number to call. Then I received Transaction ID 2112784680 from Rodger on my second call. On my third call I was given transaction ID 5103303564 from Lindsey who transfered me to Staphanie from customer relations who stated that this defect was due to normal wear and tear. I called back because the service center would not do anything with out a service number and Lindsey crerated number 4114654350. Thank you in advance for any assistance in this matter - Tony

Collapse -
White dots on screen no help from customer service
by newbie1000 / May 16, 2012 4:38 AM PDT

i just got off the phone with "executive customer service" and they told me that they would not help me with a repair for the white dots on my screen because like many on this forum I do not have the correct model. I have bought 5 TVs from Samsung in the last 2 1/2 years and I am stunned that they won't stand behind their product when so many people are having this issue. I am hoping someone will see this post and take some action. My reference number is 5103384123.

Collapse -
White Dot Problem
by tjmorales1432 / May 1, 2012 2:46 AM PDT

Thanks - email is sent - I will let you know what happens and I am joining the FB page later today.

Collapse -
Same model number, same problem as the previous post
by Bngsr / May 1, 2012 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: White Dot Problem

For the Samsung Online Ambassador,

I am at 3 white dots and counting.

I too just got off the phone with the Escalation Team. They gave me an address to write but I saw this post with the same model number as my TV. I had mentioned to the CSR Rep that I wouldn't be surprised to see problems with my model that they said wasn't covered. If you would like my ticket number I would be happy to share.

Thanks

Collapse -
White Dot Issue
by tjmorales1432 / May 1, 2012 9:33 PM PDT

I received a call from the CEO's office and they will cover the part and I will cover the labor. Better then nothing.

Collapse -
White Dot Issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 1, 2012 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: White Dot Issue

TJMorales,

Glad to hear it worked out. We're really trying to improve the situation, so if you have a problem like this, please post your problem and transaction number if you have one. We'll work really hard to work from our end.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
White dot issue
by tjmorales1432 / May 2, 2012 12:38 AM PDT

my service Number is 4114685872

Collapse -
White Dot Issue
by tjmorales1432 / May 3, 2012 11:07 PM PDT

Repair person is coming Tuesday morning. I will let you know what happens after his/her arrival

Collapse -
White Dot Issue 61" DLP Samsung
by houston9999 / July 7, 2012 3:30 AM PDT

Just off the phone with Samsung Executive Support and the very nice lady named Bonnie understands the same DLP in 2006 are covered by Samsung but those with the same "Defective Chip" after that series are not??

I am very confused as to why Samsung has taken this posture on their DLP Sets. Can you help?
I see the Chip located in the Samsung Parts Inventory is Part #4719-001997 with a price tag of $291.00 and a core Credit for same as $50.00. Is this chip user serviceable?

My Transaction number is #4115425117. The Model is HL61A650C1FXA.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

JM Johnson
Houston, Texas
houston@flash.net

(713) 419-2330

Collapse -
As to user serviceable? No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2012 6:54 AM PDT

The bulb so far is the only user serviceable item. Yes, there are folk that do more (DIY?) but no, this is not considered something users service.

The chip was never called defective. I will copy what was written and let you take it up with others.

-> Samsung noticed some sets with higher failure rates and put those on a list for the replacement.

At no point did folk call this chip defective.
Bob

Collapse -
White dot on a HL50A650C1FXZA
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 2, 2012 12:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
Reply from Bngsr to Samsung Ambassador
by Bngsr / May 2, 2012 10:50 AM PDT

Thank you! My current ticket is 1107625673

Bngsr

Collapse -
To HD Tech from Bngsr
by Bngsr / May 3, 2012 9:30 AM PDT

Hi...I received your message...Best time to call me is after 7 PM EST M-F...Thanks...Bngsr

Collapse -
Hour Conflict
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 4, 2012 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: To HD Tech from Bngsr

Bngsr,

My normal work hours are 9a to 6p. So you're just barely outside that window. I'll see if I can get someone else on my team to get in contact with you this evening. Otherwise, is there anything that works during the week?

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Hour conflict reply to HD Tech from Bngsr
by Bngsr / May 5, 2012 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Hour Conflict

Hi...My work hours are also 9-6 eastern time M-F....You are welcome to call my wife...Just identify yourself telling her you are calling about the TV...She could give you my work number....Thanks...Bngsr

Collapse -
Update from Bngsr to HD Tech
by Bngsr / May 7, 2012 9:16 AM PDT

Hi...I am at 5 dots and growing...Seem to get a new one every couple of days....Just an FYI....

Collapse -
5/9 Update from Bngsr to HD Tech
by Bngsr / May 8, 2012 10:05 PM PDT

Good Morning,

I am at 7 dots now and growing in 2 days. I noticed that tjmorales got help from Samsung for his repair by calling the office of the CEO. What would that phone number be?

Thank you.

Collapse -
White dots
by tjmorales1432 / May 9, 2012 9:56 PM PDT

I emailed them my issue and someone called me - so to the Samsung home page and you should see a link - "email the CEO" The service repair man came and replaced the part and I had to pay for labor - which was $180.00 for 15 minutes of work.

I wish I made $720 an hour. Even if you include gas to travel the 30 minutes from the repair place to me, they are still making over $500.00 an hour. So much for fixing a DEFECT.

Lets see how long before the white dots comeback.

Collapse -
Ahh, did you include "windshield time"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2012 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: White dots

The time you measured was just part of the time spent. How much time did they spend on the road, etc?

I've seen the "windshield time" average to 2 hours. So 180 is a fair price factoring in all the rest.
Bob

Collapse -
You did OK!
by ML6280 / May 10, 2012 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: White dots

$180 to have the TV repaired isn't so bad. When I first started looking into this issue there were more than a few folks who paid $500 plus to get there's fixed. I had to pay $180 just to get a hold of a new chip and install it myself. For 1/10th the cost of a new TV i now have the picture I love and no white dots!

Collapse -
white dots on my Samsung TV also
by grandma777 / May 10, 2012 8:40 AM PDT

Model HL-S6187W
started with one white dot.....now I have hundred, maybe thousands. When I first Called Samsung they said they nver heard about a white dot issue. Now when I call, they say its wear and tear and will not help me unless I pay for parts and labor. After reading, for months, about others with the same problem, it seems to be a flaw in a chip. I paid over $2000.00 for this TV. I am retired and thought this would be my last TV. My ticket #5103374658

Collapse -
From Bngsr to tjmorales
by Bngsr / May 10, 2012 9:52 AM PDT

Thanks for the info...I will try that...Funny, at the same time the lamp went out and I do want to try to keep this tv as it isn't that old...So, I called our tv repair man as I wasn't 100 percent sure it was a bulb...I also wanted to get an estimate on the dots...He came out and told me he had seen one other incident personally and that one had hundreds of dots...He confirmed it was the chip on our unit and the estimate was for 240 for the chip and 125 for the labor...I can't really understand Samsung's position...We have the same model as my daughter, albeit maybe 9 months older than hers....She had the dot problem and Samsung fixed hers at no cost...

Collapse -
CEO phone number
by Bngsr / May 13, 2012 8:27 AM PDT

Hi...I have looked several times for the link on the Samsung website on how to e-mail the CEO and have had no luck...I know if I call 1-800-Samsung I will get the "I'm sorry speech"....I am thinking about writing the CEO but am afraid that will take forever...Has anybody had any other success getting through to someone that may be able to help?...Thanks

Collapse -
CEO Info
by tjmorales1432 / May 14, 2012 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: CEO phone number
Collapse -
Thank you tjmorales!
by Bngsr / May 14, 2012 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: CEO Info

I must have missed that. I have sent the e-mail.

Bngsr

Collapse -
Any Luck??
by tjmorales1432 / May 21, 2012 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you tjmorales!

How did you make out ...Any luck yet?

TJ

Collapse -
Reply to TJ
by Bngsr / May 21, 2012 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Any Luck??

Yes...Thanks...Not fixed yet...They have ordered a chip for me though....Stay tuned...Bngsr

Collapse -
White Dots on 61" DLP 2008 Model
by houston9999 / May 31, 2012 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: White dots on Samsung

I too have just discovered that the "White Dot Issue" is a very KNOWN CHIP DEFECT in the Samsung DLP Models. They are supporting those in the 2006 Vintage but it seems my 2008 61" DLP with it's emerging White Dots are now considered "Wear and Tear?"

This is apparrently a KNOWN CHIP issue with Samsung and when calling the local Repair Center here in Houston, Texas I am told that it will require a $400 Fix to replace the DEFECTIVE CHIP.

Not a Happy Camper and will be warning family and friends regarding what some would consider questionable support with a known defect.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.