Samsung forum

Rant

White Dot Issue-Very Disappointed - My LAST Samsung Purchas

by SoCalMike / January 3, 2012 8:42 AM PST

I am very disappointed with Samsung and I wanted to let folks know.

My Samsung DLP HLT5089S has suddenly started experiencing white dot issues as described by MANY below even though the post by a Samsung Ambassador admits the problem and speaks of a resolution by Samsung.

Reference: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-366380/announcement-dlp-white-dot-issues-success-please-read/

I called Samsung Support (transaction 2110938643) and I am told that my model is not covered under their "recall" and therefore I would have to pay for this myself at over $500 to repair from what I read! Given all I have read on the internet about the White Dot issue (thank you Google search), I am very angry and outraged that this is how they treat their customers on something that is obviously a product defect.

I would have thought they would have stepped up and resolved this given the set is not that old.

To add insult to injury, I spent an hour on the phone being bounced around, including the Executive Customer Relations with no willingness to help. I guess I am not an "Executive."

This was the last Samsung product I will ever purchase. They should have done the right thing!

-Mike in SoCal

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White Dot Issue-Very Disappointed - My LAST Samsung Purchas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White Dot Issue-Very Disappointed - My LAST Samsung Purchas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try that other last resort, try one more time?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 8:44 AM PST
Collapse -
PS. Your link is about a post 2+ years ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 8:46 AM PST

As we get further and further out of warranty, the offer and system changes. I know this is not helping you but do try the link I provided and hope for the best.

Collapse -
Thanks for reply
by SoCalMike / January 3, 2012 8:55 AM PST

Thanks for the reply, but I am not a facebook or twitter guy... I don't think they want to help me, which is why I ranted here. At least as a consumer, I can speak out and make others aware. I honestly thought they would do the right thing and help me.

Oh well... thanks kindly,

-Mike in SoCal

Collapse -
It's been worth the time for some to try it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for reply

If you look, there are too many that found that to work. Wish I had another way to get there.
Bob

Collapse -
I wonder if a Class Action Suit is Possible?
by SoCalMike / January 3, 2012 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for reply

Thanks to Google - http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=samsung+white+dot+problem&pbx=1&oq=samsung+white+dot+problem&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1251l1251l0l2124l1l1l0l0l0l0l220l220l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=7d0cc3cf0437aef0&biw=1600&bih=779

That is a google search for "samsung white dot problem."

There has to be over 100 links there at least... This problem is massive and Samsung's response confuses me. There is one person who did a Youtube video of the support call, and the response was very similar and trite to the experience I had with both regular customer support and "Executive Customer Relations."

I am not out to get Samsung, but I do think many consumers have been shafted here and consumers should fight this fight.

Does anyone from Samsung even monitor this forum? When I brought it up to the ECR, they said they had never heard of CNET. I was shocked to hear that!

-Mike in SoCal

Collapse -
There is one problem with that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 1:12 AM PST

Once you announce you're going legal they may take your word on it and from then on refer you to legal since it is no longer a support issue. Be sure you know what you are in for.

And be sure you know to include all parties. I am seeing this issue in other makes so be sure to include the maker of the part or chip in question. Your second or third year law student should be able to explain why to you (which I'm not.)

And finally you can expect no working TV at the end of the class action. Just a fatter lawyer and a nice meal if it goes like most actions.
Bob

PS. Again, try the facebook system. If it works, it's far better than what you last wrote.

Collapse -
by SoCalMike / January 4, 2012 2:55 AM PST

Thank you for the input and your feedback. I guess I will go on Facebook, but I am not sure why given they told me they would not help, in a not so gracious way.

I suppose I am just frustrated at my situation and given that so many people are experiencing the same issue, it just adds to my displeasure with their response.

Thank you again most kindly,

-Mike in SoCal

Collapse -
Look at the facebook posts one more time
by Pepe7 / January 4, 2012 1:49 AM PST

I had a friend consult the info that's been posted on FB on the white dot issue. FWIW, he had his Sammy repaired after being stonewalled the first time over the phone. You have to be persistent IME with this type of thing. Here's the link to the public info on FB-

Collapse -
Shouldn't that be avoid Ti?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 1:55 AM PST

The other makers that used that part are seeing the fallout now.

Collapse -
More info please?
by Pepe7 / January 4, 2012 3:33 AM PST

Not knowing which precise part you are referring to (is Ti a chip model, or are you referring to Texas Instruments ?), I can't say for certain. All I know is, a friend had his Sammy repaired and it no longer has the 'white dot' issue. This isn't to imply his fix isn't necessarily a temporary one if the failure happens again.

Collapse -
This one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: More info please?
http://www.dlp.com/technology/dlp-history/default.aspx

I've seen you figure this out on your own before but this time it appears you need a little help.

Let's use the recent tire issue as an example. When a major auto maker got hit with claims over a tire, the lawyers went after the car and the tire maker. I'm not a lawyer but if you watch how things work you know to look a little deeper into the subject matter and find all the players.

When you look into the white dot failures you find any TV maker that used the TI DLP design is now under fire from consumers.

And this is why I think it's a little short sighted to call out one maker unless we include TI here.

Hope this helps you out Pepe7.
Bob
Collapse -
Response from Facebook Page - Samsung Support
by SoCalMike / January 4, 2012 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: This one.

Hi Everyone,

So I followed the advice and sent in a note on the Facebook page, and this is the response I received, which is sadly, no different than any other I have received.

"Thank
you for the model information. We apologize for your frustration,
unfortunately your model is out of warranty and cannot be covered by any
Samsung policies. Our engineers have done extensive research and
testing on these units and have determined which models and which
production ranges have the particular parts that tend to fail at a
higher rate than others. We
apologize for any inconveniences. If you would like to contact an
authorized service center in your area, you can find one here:http://smsn.us/FindService Kind regards,Jessica B."

I am confused and frustrated as to what to do? Advice? I noticed that Samsung_HD_Tech did not respond to my post, although they responded to others.

This seems very unfair!

-Mike in SoCal

Collapse -
The Ambassador
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 7:14 AM PST

Is not here 24x7. And if you read replies they have little pull when it comes to this issue since Samsung implemented a new system.

As we get farther and farther out of warranty you will see less one time repairs and then none. I have no idea where we are in this cycle.

If this was me I could look for the chip or board and change it. But that's not for everyone since they may not have an electronics design background.
Bob

Collapse -
Own the problem...
by SoCalMike / January 4, 2012 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: The Ambassador

I understand your comment about being "farther" out of warranty, but given the scope and magnitude of this issue, it does not seem reasonable to me that Samsung would not step up... and that Samsung would in turn, go after TI if that is the chip maker who supplied the culprit component. For something like this, it is not that far out in time, relatively speaking.

As a consumer, I believe by implication and history, that a Television should reasonably last at least five years. Heck, when I was a child, we had Televisions that lasted 10+ years with no issues.

To me, a company is defined by how they stand by their products. I have made purchases from companies like HP, Panasonic, Sony and others - and when there was a product issue like this, they stood up and owned the problem and I am a loyal customer. What we consumers are asking here is truly not unreasonable given the magnitude of this "white dot" issue.

-Mike in SoCal

Collapse -
So your (obtuse) recommendation is...
by Pepe7 / January 5, 2012 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: The Ambassador

...that the end user change/alter/replace one of the chips under the hood? Why even mention that since 99% of folks wouldn't even consider it(?)

Collapse -
Absolutely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 12:56 AM PST

Folk that fix things tend to fare much better.

Have you read http://www.alexbolboaca.ro/wordpress/my-take-on/the-case-for-tinkering ?

About proactive. I hope you will be and add Ti to the list along with other TV makers that are now suffering this issue. Some won't know that other makes are having this failure and may think it's only this make. We can help folk discover who made the chip and design.
Bob

Collapse -
White Snowy Dots on Samsung TV Screen
by CashAndroid / January 4, 2012 7:30 AM PST
Love I've look over many posts here & elsewhere about white dots showing (or "snowing") on various Samsung TVs. My problem only happens when viewing Comcast (Xfinity) cable TV, started after installation in October 2010. Occasionally, these tiny dots are arranged more or less in wave patterns. But not always. Comcast is no help. We have checked every hardware connection, every setting. I've noticed that some of the Cnet Samsung forums start out with a general question about the problem, only to get narrowed into extremely technical hardware and warranty issues specific to one model. I'll keep looking around. In the meantime, if anybody can recommend a good forum (here or on some other site), or offer some advice, I'd be grateful. Sure, I'm guessing the problem is with Comcast, somewhere along the pathway, not anything wrong with the Samsung unit. Still, Comcast is stubbornly uncooperative, insisting that the problem is my fault or a transitory "outage." So I need to rule everything else out before I invest the (substantial) time and emotional effort to get shot down in flames by Comcast again.
Collapse -
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 7:34 AM PST

Back in the Boston area and while HD content was OK any other channel seemed to suffer from whatever they felt like digitizing it as.

Sorry if that doesn't help but to prove it's not your gear you have to show it on two sets. And even then you will get the old snow if the source is at some point non-digital.

I may upset the newer generation but snow will be with us for years to come.
Bob

Collapse -
Please stay on topic...
by SoCalMike / January 4, 2012 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Me too.

Please, let's not hijack this thread... its about my white dot issue with my Samsung DLP televisin... thank you very much.

-Mike in SoCal

Collapse -
(NT) I didn't hijack it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2012 7:44 AM PST
Collapse -
Sorry, wrong person...
by SoCalMike / January 4, 2012 7:48 AM PST

Sorry, it was the person above you that did which I was responding to.

I hope someone out there has some words of wisdom or advice on how to resolve this.

Thanks,

Mike in SoCal

Collapse -
Bob, I don't really need help
by Pepe7 / January 5, 2012 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: This one.

I'd say you are over-reaching a little.

Collapse -
Then let's keep it simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2012 1:07 AM PST

Today the electronic industry is producing BLACK BOXES and you are right that the car analogy does and does not apply. There are parts in the car that are a BLACK BOX. You replace those.

If the entire car is a BLACK BOX then that would be very interesting to see what consumers would do.

This is SoCalMike's discussion and let's not veer too far off their discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
You're starting to get punchy! ;) (n/t)
by Pepe7 / January 5, 2012 4:30 AM PST

n/t

Collapse -
Repair cost...
by SoCalMike / January 4, 2012 10:23 PM PST

Spoke to repair center... cost is $550 to repair this product defect.... wow Sad

Collapse -
Replace it yourself
by barryware / January 4, 2012 11:10 PM PST
In reply to: Repair cost...

Have you considered replacing the defective component yourself? Maybe even ask samsung if they will send you the part @ no cost or even their cost with no markup?

It is not difficult to replace the chip. The part is around 200 bucks retail give or take:

http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-4719-001997.aspx?oldpart=4719-001999&model=

http://www.shop.tvreplacementparts.com/Samsung-DLP-Chip-4719-001997-4719-001997.htm

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-mitsubishi-toshiba-4719-001997-dlp-chip.htm

http://shop.tvreplacementparts.com/DLP-Chips_c78.htm

Collapse -
I am Electronically Challenged
by SoCalMike / January 5, 2012 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Replace it yourself

Thanks for the advice barryware... I am not comfortable opening up a television and making a change to a chip in there. I am sure conceptually it is relatively easy, but I do not trust myself in doing such a swap out.

I have come to the conclusion that by design, Samsung will not help anyone with this issue if your model did not fall within their defined "range" that they consider defective. If they help one person, they would set a precedent and they don't want to do that... even if it is the right thing to do.

As I mentioned earlier, I would imagine the only avenue one would have is to get hundreds of consumers to band together who have been impacted by this problem and bring forth some sort of legal recourse... and of course, Samsung knows how difficult and complex this would be to make it happen, so they are willing to take the "risk" and push customers away that have a valid concern with a defective TV.

As for me, I am done with Samsung for life. And, I will always recommend other manufacturers to my family and friends (and share my experience) when they are considering a purchase of anything Samsung sells. At least the power of the consumer (albeit little) can have some influence on them with personal networks, social media and forums like this.

Thanks to everyone that tried to assist. I do appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Mike in SoCal

Collapse -
You've made great points
by Pepe7 / January 5, 2012 4:34 AM PST

I am sorry to hear of your predicament and lack of sympathy by a manufacturer ;(.

Collapse -
White Dots appear on Samsung TV
by CashAndroid / January 5, 2012 6:38 AM PST
Silly As the thread title says it's about a white dot issue, I was hoping after much research to find some knowlege about what causes this phenomenon. I think that's on topic, at least that far. My first post acknowledged the spiralling of this discussion into quite the narrow rabbit hole, and I simply wanted to plumb the depths of some obvious expertise into the cause of white dots -- on, as it happens -- also on a Samsung DLP device. I'd still appreciate redirection to some other thread, site, or blog which may be more appropriate. I've looked around quite a bit. Sure, I made my own tv's, radios, phones and computers when I was a wee child. But I do not have a third-world assembly plant and a global megacorporation to produce my own proprietary stealth consumerware -- sorry. I already opened a new thread as well -- let's see where that leads. Incidentally, some of these abusive supercompanies really do deserve to get hammered by class action suits and consumer protection regulations, but someone here was wise to point out that you need a critical mass of similarly wronged litigants & some expensive legal eagles. Cheers!
Collapse -
My saga is over!
by SoCalMike / January 18, 2012 10:23 AM PST

Hi everyone,

A quick update.... The white dots on my Samsung 50" DLP continue to multiply like rabbits. The good news is I purchased a new Sony XBR 55" TV today which is on it's way. As I committed, I am done with Samsung for life (and I actually talked a friend out of going with a Samsung TV last week, so I feel extra good about it).

So now the dilemma is, what do I do with this Samsung DLP TV that has a product defect? Do I blow it up and take a video to post on Youtube? Do I throw it in the dumpster at my grocery store? (those comments in jest of course)

Is there a market for a defective TV like this? Does it have a resale value? Would the repair center buy it? Would anyone buy it?

-Mike in SoCal

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?