Samsung forum

Question

White dot issue on 56" DLP

by papidelacalle / January 12, 2013 10:36 AM PST

I've come to the end of the road with the Samsung customer service so I'm hoping the Samsung Online Brand Ambassador can help me find resolution to my issue. I purchased a 56" DLP in April of 2008. I also purchased the store's 5 year extended warranty, which expired April of 2012. About week ago, I noticed 2 white dots on the screen and didn't think much of it. Currently, I have about 20 white dots and 20 black dots. I spoke with Customer service yesterday and explained what happened. The tech I spoke with explained that there was nothing they can do since the TV was out of manufacturing warranty in 2009 and it seemed to be a wear and tear issue. I explained that I was disappointed because this was my first experience with Samsung TV. I've always been loyal to Sony but was really sold on the picture quality of the Samsung. Five years (almost 6, to be fair) we have a TV that is flawed. The tech transferred me over to an executive tech. I explained the situation to this tech; she did a bit of research and came back with a too bad so sad type answer. Before I hung up I asked the tech if she was willing to hang up knowing that I thought Samsung TV only had a 5 year shelf life. She didn't seem to care to change my mind.

I'm hoping that the Samsung Brand Ambassador cares more about the reputation of the Samsung Brand than the tech I spoke with. After hanging up I did a bit of research myself. It seems the digital micromirror device is the issue. I also found the part retailing for $149.99. I think it's safe to estimate labor will cost another $150. Total cost of repair should be around $300. I think the reputation of your brand is way worth more than the $300 this will cost you to fix. Will you be willing to go to bat for me?

model# HL56A650C1FXZA
Serial# AKWF3CKQ300290P

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: White dot issue on 56" DLP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: White dot issue on 56" DLP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: White dot issue on 56" DLP
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2013 3:14 AM PST

Hi papidelacalle,

I'm very sorry for the experience you've had thus far. You seem to be informed of what I'd tell you, so I won't be redundant. However, I would like to say that we can refer you to an authorized service center to perform any needed repairs. Because your warranty has expired, you would be responsible for the cost of any such repairs. If you would like to receive quotes on service/labor from an Authorized Service Center near you, please visit: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

HD Tech

Collapse -
White dot issue on 56" DLP
by papidelacalle / January 14, 2013 8:14 AM PST

Thanks for replying, HD Tech.

I recognize that the TV is out of manufacture warranty. If the TV would be older we would not be having this discussion. I'd more than happy pay for the repair to my TV (which by the way I love). However, I think that anyone would be disappointed if their TV started to fail after just 5 years of use. I think we can agree that Samsung strives to manufacture products (namely TVs) to last longer than a 5 year span. Considering that Samsung fell short of what I hope their objective would be in product delivery, It'd be great to show accountability. Please don't choose to stand behind a warranty policy because that will not create future sales. Rather choose to stand behind your product by showing accountability for its failures (warranty aside). By doing so it will help your company get to the $400 billion dollars of revenue your vision statement strives for. I'm giving you the opportunity to assure future sales for your company that will ultimately contribute to the corporate revenue goal. Please start by helping me and you will secure a customer for life.

Collapse -
Re: White dot issue on 56" DLP
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2013 6:38 AM PST

Hi papidelacalle,

I appreciate your appeal; however, there's nothing further I can do for you than I've already recommend. I'm sorry.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Now that we have that out of the way. Watch this video.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 4:02 AM PST
Collapse -
About that 5 year design.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 8:51 AM PST

Look at figure 9 of this Ti document. Look what happens if the temp rises just a few degrees.
http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/dlpdmd/133_ieeeir.pdf

Notice this is not made by the TV maker and another maker is also under fire about this part.

Ti offers a 5 year warranty on their projectors because if they didn't, they would have had to exit that business in my opinion.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.