Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Whipe it clean!

Start a computer from new, erase everything.?
I want to completely restart my whole laptop. It runs on Windows XP and i want it to be like i just bought it. Doing this it will probably delete Windows XP. I want to know how to copy Windows XP from that laptop. Delete everything from it, and then install my copied illegal copy back in. There may also be many sorts of viruses on there, will it copy the virus to? And i can also use a thumb-drive to copy it right?
Thanks!!!!!

32 minutes ago
- 4 days left to answer.

Additional Details
I am 13 and don't know what restoral means please explain
Thanks!!!
29 minutes ago
Thanks!
Also can i copy Microsoft word and stuff onto the XP laptop if the Microsoft version is 2007
21 minutes ago
I found a restore disk. It says for new Gateway computers. The laptop is a Compaq should i still use it and how?

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove HTML code from copy and pasting from another source on 01/30/2012 at 2:08 PM PT

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whipe it clean!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whipe it clean!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
". I want to know how to copy Windows XP from that laptop. "

In reply to: Whipe it clean!

By design Windows does not have such a feature. This is why we must have Restore Media if not the actual XP CD.

I can't read your post yet so let's start with you telling us more. And don't paste from Word?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Please repost in a better readable form.

Recipe:
1. Make a new post.
2. Copy your original (in MS Word, I assume) to the clipboard.
3. Click on the right most icon (the looking class next to the smiley above) to toggle the view
4. Paste it.
5. Use the Preview button below to check.

If it fails, go to edit your post from preview screen until all that html is gone and only your question remains. Only then submit.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Additionally..

Please make sure to let us know if the following was a typo (or not):

'..Delete everything from it, and then install my copied illegal copy back in.'

Carol

Collapse -
Answer
"install my copied illegal" = lock.

When you have your legal XP we can start this discussion.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.