Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

While typing characters appearing on screen lag keystrokes

When I type something, whether a word document or in the message box of a forum like this one, there is significant lag time between me typing and the words or characters appearing on screen.

Does anyone know why this happens? I am afraid that my keystrokes might be getting logged?

TIA.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: While typing characters appearing on screen lag keystrokes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: While typing characters appearing on screen lag keystrokes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just checking.

In reply to: While typing characters appearing on screen lag keystrokes

Do you have Adaware installed?

Collapse -
We'lll need your operating system and Make and model of

In reply to: While typing characters appearing on screen lag keystrokes

your PC to help. Looks like possibly a RAM problem or the PC just needs some maintenance. When was the last time you defragmented your hard drive?

Collapse -
never

In reply to: We'lll need your operating system and Make and model of

I have never defragmented my harddrive. My norton security is also expired, but I am looking for a better one. I get nightmares that my laptop is infested with spyware and viruses.

Collapse -
Dell inspiron 600 with windows XP professional.

In reply to: never

I alternate between internet explorer and firefox.

Collapse -
bump

In reply to: Dell inspiron 600 with windows XP professional.

Anyone?

Collapse -
Well since it's barely running lets do the defag first

In reply to: We'lll need your operating system and Make and model of

Don't go any where till we get you some protection. Just come to Cnet and nowhere else till we do a few things.

My computer, open it, then right click the C: drive, choose defragment and run the program. Let's see how it run after that.

Collapse -
Sorry that should be

In reply to: Well since it's barely running lets do the defag first

Don't go any where till we get you some protection. Just come to Cnet and nowhere else till we do a few things.

Let's do the defrag by going too ... My computer, open it, then right click the C: drive, choose defragment and run the program. Let's see how it run after that.

Next we'll get you an anti virus program for free. Do you have Norton un-installed? Is it off the computer?

Collapse -
okay

In reply to: Sorry that should be

Actually I have symantec not norton. Mmy other comp has norton. I have not uninstalled it yet.

I will follow your directions for defrag.

Collapse -
I do not have the option to

In reply to: okay

I do not have the option to defrag when I right click on C:drive.

Collapse -
You needn't do all this now but

In reply to: Sorry that should be

these are some good maintenance practices to keep your PC in top shape. I 'd suggest you do them routinely. Bookmark this for future reference. You can also find it on the XP Home page at Microsoft.

RAM is also a good performance booster. If you'd like we could cover this later but not now.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: You needn't do all this now but

I have started the defrag. which antivirus do you recommend?

Collapse -
Well depends.

In reply to: Thanks

Your immediate concern is to get something installed. How do you want to proceed? Did you like Norton? If so then get a new license for this year. If not there are many others. Myself I use this:

http://www.iolo.com/system-mechanic/pro/

It does much more then just provide protection. It also keeps your system running well but it is involved and maybe not for everyone.

There are many more:

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4.html?hhTest&qt=Anti+virus&tag=srch&tg=dl-20

Norton is a good name and so is McAfee.

This one is free and well reviewed:

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?hhTest&tag=lst-2&cdlPid=10861654

You would also need a Malware program. This one is well reviewed and free:

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2008/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?hhTest&tag=lst-1&cdlPid=10844457

I use this one. You can have more then one Malware program at a time but not two Anti-virus programs.
That why the question ... Do you have Norton un-installed? Do not install a second Anti-virus program on your computer only one. They conflict like two bulls together in a small enclosure. Sometimes removing Anti-virus programs can be difficult. You will need to check the Norton's site for un-install details before proceeding.

Collapse -
thanks again

In reply to: Well depends.

I have symantec on the laptop I am talking about. Like you said, I will have to uninstall it before I install the free AVG I downloaded.

But does it make sense to have the free program as my main anitvirus or is the symantec still better than the free one although it has expired and not updated?

The defrag is going reaaaly slow, just 34% at this point in time.

Collapse -
The updates need to be done regularly

In reply to: thanks again

the more time that passes the more risk you take. If it's been awhile the free one maybe better because it cover more risks. The bad guys are always creating new threats.

If you've never defraged the drive this may take awhile. Also depends on the size of the hard drive and how full it is. Do the other items on that link as well, this will make it run faster but not now, later.

Collapse -
LInk missing

In reply to: The updates need to be done regularly

Your reply stating "do these things.." does not have a link in it? Are you talking about links in your next post?

Collapse -
defrag done

In reply to: LInk missing

Now what?

Collapse -
(NT) How is it running?

In reply to: defrag done

Collapse -
seems okay for now.

In reply to: Ok, Ooops sorry

I will find out more as I type more. Thanks for the tips and the link. I also need ot figure out if I want to keep subscribing ot symantec or use the AVG Free.

Collapse -
BEFORE Attempting Un-Install of Symantec.....

In reply to: thanks again

download & save to your computer (My Documents will do):
1)Symantec Removal Tool. Find one for your specific version currently installed. Very Important to have on hand. Run after Add/Delete programs un-install of Norton.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=&docid=2001092114452606&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

2)Free Addition of New AV(s) you might like to try: Avg 8 Free, Avast! 4 Home (Free) Avira Home (Free). Only 1 installed at a time but you can download and save a couple so you won't be going to web without a good functioning one.
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
http://www.free-av.com/index.htm

Question: Who's firewall are you using MS Windows/Symantec/ Other 3rd party? Be sure you have one to enable IF you're currently using one included in Symantec. Good Luck!! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.