Speakeasy forum

General discussion

While I'm sure many care little about tv scheduling

by Roger NC / April 14, 2009 12:56 PM PDT

I've been burning mad lately about several shows/networks using the increasing practice of running one or two minutes past the
half hour or hour. This is a despicable guerrilla war tactic attempting to subvert viewers choice by making us choose between the end of one show and the beginning of another on a different network.

And I suspect that it also is done because someone noticed that with many DVR's and using interactive TV guide, you can't even just click on another show after the long one is finished because the DVR sees the two shows as overlapping, EVEN though the long one is finished.

I also intend to hold it against all sponsors I notice in shows doing this. I personally take it as a mark against any product that is advertised in such a show trying to engage audiences by such a subversive, manipulative, unsporting, and insulting tactic. I fully intend to start communicating such displeasure to sponsors during shows that are scheduled for a 1 to 5 minute overrun.

Indeed, I wonder if the benefit of being able to place extra ads during a "hot" show is an equal cause for this travesty. By extending the highly rated show a few minutes, the networks can charge the advertisers the higher rate for an ad that airs at the same time as it would between shows if the show ended on the half hour or hour.

It's a deliberate attempt to manipulate the viewers even more than has been accepted practices. It is disgusting and honestly makes me bias against any shows doing this tactic or shows following using this tactic.

It leaves a sour taste about the network offerings period.

I've been using email to complain, but seems to get to the advertisers properly I'm going to have to use snail mail. So be it.

Now I'm sure some here well regard this as a hissy fit over nothing. Maybe it is, but it annoys the hell out of me ever time I see it on the tv schedule. Even when it doesn't cause a recording programming conflict, it burns me up.

Roger

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: While I'm sure many care little about tv scheduling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: While I'm sure many care little about tv scheduling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm
by 3v3r9r33n / April 14, 2009 1:01 PM PDT

now that you mention it I've noticed that too... I didn't think much of it but your absolutly right shows are nolonger running on a standardized time... Well I don't watch tv much, so your right I care little I hope you find your justice.

Collapse -
One possibility
by JP Bill / April 14, 2009 1:33 PM PDT

Time Shifting?

Do you have the option of recording one program in one time zone, and the other program in a later time zone?

Collapse -
Wait! Wait! Here's my rant:
by drpruner / April 14, 2009 9:51 PM PDT

I'm the guy who stays after the movie is over to read the credits- I like knowing about the secondary actors, major crew, music, and such. On TV for some years they've been speeding up the credits and/or shrinking them so the local station or network can cram in some more commercials or coming attractions. (They show the credits at all, I think, because of contracts with unions and producers.)
Very annoying, sleazy, cheap, crude, and yet another sign of the impending heat-death of the universe.

There!

Collapse -
This kind of thing has been going on for a long time
by Josh K / April 14, 2009 11:54 PM PDT

When TBS first went on the air, they scheduled all their programs to start five minutes past the hour, which caused them to run five minutes over the hour/half hour they were slotted in. The network did this on purpose to make it harder to switch to another network. Thankfully they abandoned that practice some time ago.

For a few years "ER" was starting at 9:59, which would force you to tune away from any other network before that program was over.

"Lost" used to run four or five minutes over on a nearly weekly basis, but it rarely happens these days.

My DVR can record two programs simultaneously so as long as there isn't a 3-way overlap it doesn't matter to me, and the DVR will automatically adjust the recording time according to that week's program length. This also comes in handy when a program runs an extended broadcast, like that "extra-special two hour season finale."

Collapse -
My DVR (DirecTV)
by TONI H / April 15, 2009 2:45 AM PDT

also records two shows simultaneously; however, it stays to an exact time slot that the shows would normally be scheduled for. I've found that if a football, baseball, golf etc event is on prior to that show, that show will run late, and I normally adjust for that accordingly by not only scheduling the show I want, but the one immediately after it 'just in case'.

However, the stupid reality show called "Amazing Race" is ALWAYS a half hour over its time slot, causing me to not only schedule "Cold Case" but also "The Unit" in order to get the entire Cold Case episode....this sometimes causes a conflict with the normal 10PM show that I might want to also record on another channel for the same time slot as The Unit, even tho I don't watch The Unit at all.

This so p...es me off that I could scream because I wind up having to make a choice I shouldn't have to make, and because I normally am sound asleep before the recording starts. I can't tell you how many times the DVR actually made the 'prioritize' decision for me, and left The Unit off completely so the next day I get only the first half hour of Cold Case and am left hanging waiting for reruns to show up.

I HATE AMAZING RACE.

TONI H

Collapse -
We have the DirecTV DVR also
by Josh K / April 15, 2009 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: My DVR (DirecTV)

Ours works the same way as yours. Another option for you is to tell it to record just the show you want, but to record it for longer than it's scheduled for. For example, I've got 24 set to record for an extra hour every week just in case the President decides to hold a news conference on a Monday night (which has already happened once this season).

Collapse -
My DVR will do two programs, BUT
by Roger NC / April 17, 2009 11:50 AM PDT

since the local cable company sets the clock by signal that doesn't always agree with the network "clock" depending on the program you may need to set the 2 minuter early or later option.

And then programs that don't overlap do.

What really got me was the discovery that after recording an 8 to 9:02 show, I couldn't then click on and record the 9 to 10 show just starting two minutes late. The blasted DVR still threw up the overlap sign. I would have to do it manually setting the hour and minute of start and stop to do it.

I remember TBS and it's 5 minute gamble. One reason I almost never watched it. Right now ABC is doing it with Dancing With the Stars, Fox is doing it with American Idol, and CBS is doing it with CSI (the Vegas one). And there are others that I nor my wife watch, so I don't recall them right this minute.

The irritation has actually made me less interested in the shows, and that's what I'm trying to email to stations with CC's to some of the shows advertisers.

Roger

Collapse -
Turner Time...
by J. Vega / April 17, 2009 12:08 PM PDT

Ted's idea was that people would flip through the channels, find nothing that caught their fancy, and then go to the SuperStation which was loaded with things he thought they would watch. I didn't work out, eventually the cable filled up with a mass of channel choices from which to chose.

Collapse -
What is worse is
by Diana Forum moderator / April 14, 2009 11:56 PM PDT

when they don't tell you that the program will run over by a couple of minutes. You click on the program to record and, when you play it, it ends in the middle of a word.

Diana

Collapse -
Yeah, I'm sure it's a ploy to pander to advertisers.
by Ziks511 / April 16, 2009 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: What is worse is

Especially since sattellite receivers let you skip commercials almost completely. Since we may be feeling we are living in a more responsive democracy than perhaps was the case previously, let's E-bomb the FCC with complaints since they're supposed to be in charge of this sort of thing. Let's make the networks and cable stations be more concerned about us. If they don't have an audience, they'll have to clean up their act really quickly.

Rob

Collapse -
I doubt the FCC would have any say over it
by Roger NC / April 17, 2009 11:53 AM PDT

since it doesn't involve offensive material, etc., or not delivering promised programming. And doesn't involve false advertising (at least not more than usual).

I suspect the network's programming is entirely up to them as long as they comply with what is left of the "decency in prime time" rulings.

Roger

Collapse -
Expect it
by Willy / April 15, 2009 5:48 AM PDT

Those ads are the revenue of the networks. Since cable and sat. have long cut into that revenue, its clear they need to generate more ads that cut into the TV broadcast. In some cases, they stuff a popular pgm. with so many ads that they bump the typical viewing period. In fact, that has been lessen since what used to be 3-4min. of ads has increased 5-7min. if not more now. A 30min. show is really 20min. or more leaving the gap to be ads or local and public service, etc.. The ironic thing to me is that even cable and sat. viewing is so stuffed as well and we pay for that privilege. It should be the other way around as certainly viewers want less interruption as possible. In some cases, its broadcasted as so, with no interruptions to give a benefit to viewers. It has changed and I thought it'll be going back to what it was at no time soon w/o public outcry. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
What annoys me....
by Josh K / April 15, 2009 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Expect it

...are ads and promos that appear onscreen DURING the program, sometimes blocking out portions of the screen.

Collapse -
Good catch- forgot about that.
by drpruner / April 16, 2009 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: What annoys me....

I wonder if it interferes with CC as well?
"Can't hear? Sorry, we need to make more money."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.