General discussion

While burning music CD's my burner stops...

Feb 19, 2008 5:21AM PST

When I try burning CD's using Itunes, Windows Media Player, or any of the other third party burning programs I have used in the past, my burner starts burning, but stops two or three tracks in.
I am running Windows XP. I have checked to see that recording is enabled on my drive, I have slowed the recording speed down to 2x, I have tried 3 brands of CD's and still nothing. Last summer I burned a lot of CD's without any problem, but now nothing

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: While burning music CD's my burner stops...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: While burning music CD's my burner stops...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Recording CD's
Feb 22, 2008 11:06AM PST

What all do you have running in the background? I use a program called "EndIt All" (free), to close down anything not needed in the background. After you are done recording, reboot and everything is back to normal.

- Collapse -
Recording CD's
Feb 22, 2008 11:11AM PST

wuts yer RAM??? Wut prog you using? If its pirate not our prob its yours cuz you don't know how to use it. Just get Nero 8 or Easy Media Creator 10, less than $100 each, just make sure you have the min requirements and remove all progs from control panel you are not using (add/remove) and clean your registry. Free reg cleaners are out there use them.

- Collapse -
I Had This Problem
Feb 22, 2008 7:51PM PST

My problem was a bad CD burner. It had EXACTLY the symptoms you describe, and on data CDs it would sometimes burn between 12% and 90% of its intended content and then abort. It read CDs OK, but it would abort (but only sometimes) when burning, and the problem got progressively worse. I replaced it with a Samsung Writemaster (under $30 online) and haven't turned any blank CDs into coasters since.

The Samsung is also astonishingly quiet. Unless you are a total klutz, you can do the installation yourself very easily.

- Collapse -
While burning music CD's with ITunes, my burner stops
Feb 22, 2008 9:15PM PST

That?s exactly my problem all the time, could anyone please help?

My operating system is Windows XP Home edition.

- Collapse -
Pushing too hard
Feb 22, 2008 10:26PM PST

The most common problem is that people try to burn cd's at top speed and contrary to manufacturer's hype, Your system RAM and CPU speed play a role in just how fast your CD Burner can operate. Trim back your burn speed to about 1/2 of what you are currently running and see if it still locks up. If not, then you are writing media faster than your computer can fill the buffer. Easy fix! No need to purchase more software, no need to get different blank CD's, and it isn't a big deal to wait a couple minutes more to get the results you want.

Best Regards,
Pete

- Collapse -
i need help
May 26, 2008 8:43AM PDT

i need help getting my burner working again please someone help me

- Collapse -
Immediately fixed the CD Burning issues
Jun 30, 2013 7:29AM PDT

Thank you so much Pete, your suggestion to trim back burn speed worked perfectly! Thank you and thank you
C/Net!

Jules3589

- Collapse -
WMP has been updated since then.
Feb 22, 2008 10:33PM PST

I suspect 2 things.

1. The drive and media.
2. The recording software.

The second is easy to test. Go get CDBURNERXP and see if that makes an AudioCD for you. If not, it's usually the first item.

Bob

- Collapse -
CD drive
Feb 23, 2008 12:27AM PST

Does the unit play a CD or DVD without issue?? If it does, it is likely a software issue, not to say it couldn't be a hardware issue, insufficient memory, ram or shared vid. If hardware is suffient to the task and it proves to be software Nero, Roxio or Sony make great multi purpose softwares that run around 100 bucks or so. If you should have to replace the drive, should it prove defective they are relatively inexpensive to purchase on the internet and a retrofit is a pretty easy job. Best of luck!

- Collapse -
Importing music from commercial CDs to the ITunes Library.
Feb 23, 2008 12:43AM PST

As a matter of fact I'm not burning CD's, sorry I explained wrong, but simply import my own CDs into the ITunes library. I've imported hundreds of CDs succesfully but now it stops suddenly after importing 20% of 1st track and than the whole thing is locked up so I have to restart my PC again. I have unstalled + installed ITunes several times now and it doesn't result at all. Thanks again in advance for your kind help!
Operating system Windows XP Home edition.

- Collapse -
Try the usual then a new drive.
Feb 23, 2008 12:47AM PST

Look up CD LENS CLEANER on google then consider a new drive.

- Collapse -
Any good ones you'd recommend, Bob?
Feb 24, 2008 5:08AM PST

CD lens cleaners, I mean...

- Collapse -
I picked mine up at a cd store.
Feb 24, 2008 7:58AM PST

Those are mostly extinct so try what replaced them.

- Collapse -
Same issue
Nov 1, 2008 1:08PM PDT

I am having the same problem. I am trying to import CD's to my PC and they stop at 20%. I also tried to play them and they all stop at 1:02 minute when playing. I am running Vista though.

- Collapse -
ITunes - importing music from commercial CDs into Library
Feb 23, 2008 12:50AM PST

All tracks of any CD can be heard via "my computer" without problem.
Have still 19,8 GB on hard disc available of total 55,6 GB.

- Collapse -
CD burner stops
Feb 23, 2008 2:58AM PST

I have found that sometimes just inserting a cd/dvd cleaning disc can work. people forget that the burner has a lens that needs to be cleaned as well, try that.

- Collapse -
Burning CD's
Feb 23, 2008 12:58PM PST

What you could try first is to go to you're software developers web site and look for a list of supported drives you may need to download an update,secondly you could try looking for updates on you're drive manufacturer's web site.

- Collapse -
software crash
Feb 25, 2008 12:23AM PST

I had a problem like that. It use to record fine and then it just stop working like the old days. What was happening was a conflict with different software product. I had multi burning software and though it worked before finally it apparently reach its tolerances and started crashing. I just removed all the burning software and other related associates and install just one and it did the trick.

- Collapse -
software crash.
Feb 25, 2008 1:29AM PST

jrvasser; I feel you are right and think the whole problem is a conflict between other burners I've got installed. I'll get rid of these and will let you know the results. Thks for kind advise.

CNET Forums

Forum Info