HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Which Windows OS best?!

by jimmybruce / November 8, 2009 10:40 PM PST

As a "computer novice", I'm completely baffled!

My first laptop, had Windows XP Home.

All worked fine........

Next, bought an Acer Apire 3690, pre-loaded with Vista Home premium.

Had load of hassles, too involved and lengthy to go into here...

I'm wondering;

Vista, had so many problems, continiously, with loads of updates, "patches" etc., means it was not too good?

Now Windows 7?

Same thing all over ?

Pleae assist.

My question:

Is Windows XP home no good anymore?

My computer use, is mainly basic, e.g. e mail, online banking etc.,

I also like to play online poker, (Zynga).

I want to buy a new Laptop.

Would it be better for a guy, like me, with limited computer knowledge, to opt for Windows XP HOME, or go for one pre-loaded with Windows 7, which in my simple mind, will continiously be updated, patched, etc., and cause problems?

Your help would be appreciated, as I am a pensioner and can't afford to spend too much, and especially, on a new system, (Windows 7), which may cause me more headaches, hassles, & money.

_______
(2) Can anyone recommend a new laptop, for around

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Windows OS best?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Windows OS best?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is asked daily it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2009 10:53 PM PST

Why not go with the OS that works for you? If Windows is not acceptable (any version) how about Apple or Linux?

Collapse -
Do not go with Apple or Linux in this case
by ktcomputers / November 8, 2009 11:48 PM PST

Apple and the Linux variants are great operating systems, but they are good for your particular situation.

Apple MacBooks can be prohibitively expensive (one of the cheapest in stores is almost $900). The interface is fine, but much different from Windows.

Linux is a great operating system, but virtually no store-bought laptops will come with it loaded. Further, it is very unfriendly and complicated for users without a solid knowledge of computers.

Although I am tempted to say stick with Windows XP right now, doing so would tack on an extra $150 on average to the cost of the laptop. XP will also not be supported by Microsoft for much longer. You're pretty much stuck going with Windows 7 at this point.

On the bright side, it is a LOT more stable at launch than Vista is after two years.

I hope this helps.

KT Computers - Fixing Austin's IT Emergencies 24/7

Collapse -
Try to reply to the person who asked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2009 11:54 PM PST

They may want to read it.

You only get 3 taglines like that and then your posts are removed.

Spend them wisely,
Bob

Collapse -
BIG THANKYOU!
by jimmybruce / November 9, 2009 2:53 AM PST

Thanks very much, to ALL of you guy's who took the time to help me.

I have read and digested all your comments, & opted to save, & get a better class laptop, and go with Windows 7.

Just out of curiosity;

Was/is, Vista a "failure"?

I just cannot understand, (with my limited knowledge), how any company can release an OS, that is not 100% tried, tested, and FULLY approved, BEFORE release.

Anyway, thanks, and please forgive my remarks about Vista, if I'm wrong!

Probably a case of sour grapes, from an ignorant old guy, who is just too thick to use it!

Regards,

Jimmy

Collapse -
You have to decide that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2009 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: BIG THANKYOU!

At the office we avoided it till just months ago when a development required Windows Mobile 6 showed up. Microsoft strongarmed Vista into the office since WM 6 is only fully supported on Vista or later.

Vista annoyed us all with too many UAC prompts and more. Now that we have moved to 7, all that is gone and soon all the Vista machines will be gone. Good riddance.
Bob

Collapse -
The key here
by Jimmy Greystone / November 9, 2009 1:08 AM PST

The key here is more to do with the hardware you run Windows on than the version of Windows itself.

Some may call me biased, but Acer and HP made computers (so Acer, Gateway, emachines, HP, and Compaq) are generally made of very poor quality components, which leads to problems down the road. That's just my take of things, and you can choose to believe me or not.

If you buy a nice computer, and not just the cheapest thing you can find in a store, you will tend to find that all versions of Windows can run pretty well.

So personally, I would limit my search to Dell, Apple, Lenovo, and Toshiba (laptops only). All the rest can be assumed to be crap, and to be avoided like the plague.

And if you're looking at laptops, I wouldn't even bother buying anything if you've only 400 pounds to spend. All you'll be able to afford is some cheap piece of junk, especially after VAT. Instead, save your money, and wait until you have at least double that. The unfortunate reality is that you'll end up getting a system that is way too overpowered for what you want to do, but such is the price one must pay to get some quality introduced into the equation.

You could also look into netbooks. These are a sort of sub-class of laptops which have smaller screens and less powerful hardware. The idea is that you use net apps for most things. So Google Docs instead of MS Word for example. This makes them cheaper, and a bit more profitable. It is a tradeoff of course. Lower price for a smaller screen and less powerful hardware.

Collapse -
your right
by d_adams / November 9, 2009 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: The key here

But, it should be noted that it has more to do with price than manufacturer. High end PCs (and all Macs) are generally made of better components. Cheaper PCs (those under about $800) generally last only a couple of years, and are far too underpowered. They aren't worth a cent, in my opinion. Take, for instance, this $300 Compaq that my sister bought last summer. Snails could outrun it, in a race.

Collapse -
Very true
by Jimmy Greystone / November 9, 2009 2:57 AM PST
In reply to: your right

Very true, but Acer and HP are the ones who seem to be going after the low end market with a great amount of zeal. I do normally tell people not to buy any system under $500, unless there's some kind of short-term price promotion the puts it under that price.

With computers, you'll pay one way or the other. You can choose to pay in cash up front, and get a quality computer, or you can buy a cheap system and pay with frustration and wasted time, but there's no free ride.

Collapse -
XP is probably your best bet.
by d_adams / November 9, 2009 1:17 AM PST

If you didn't like vista, it's extremely unlikely you'll like win7. The graphical user interface is nearly exactly them same, only they've added a few extra features (or "complications" in your case!). The guy up above who said "Microsoft won't support Xp too much longer" is kind of exaggerating. Microsoft STILL supports Windows 2000, and will continue to do so until 2012. I doubt they'll quit on XP until 2016 or later, and you will still be able to use the operating system; it just won't continue to get security updates.

For a new operating system, I'd say Apple's Mac OS X is the only one that's really simple to use. But, it will take some getting used to. Also, it is possible to buy a pretty good used Apple laptop for $400-650 USD on eBay. The new ones are $1000 minimum, though, so I guess that's a little out of your price range. As for a PC comparable to a used apple and sufficient to your needs, I'd advise going to the local electronics store, and try ALL of them out. Then, once you know what you like, go home and buy it online (if it's cheaper online, and it usually is). You might have to install Xp yourself, if it's not offered for preinstall. That will cost you $70 or so.

Collapse -
Which Windows OS
by Papa Echo / November 9, 2009 6:30 AM PST

I have used Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows XP, tried Vista.....and will try 7 in one year's time..... There are othe versions....media type and servers of which I am not into...

Windows 95, 98 (& 98 2nd Ed) were good at their time..... Me - someone call that a lemon... XP was proven, and Vista ? It is still waiting for the SPs.... Windows 7, although released, is still really on trial.... If you let me choose among XP, Vista and 7, I would choose XP (SP3)...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.