HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Which video cards are compatible with Crosslink Technology?

by annebush / January 27, 2008 8:29 AM PST

building a system with "crosslink" technology. Can I use graphic cards that are for SLI? If not, what manufacturers?

Maximus Extreme Mother Board
DDR3 Ram 4gb minimum (plan on purchasing 8 total)
Intel qx9650 cpu

While I have your attention, maybe a recommendation on brand of memory or point to a url that compares them? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which video cards are compatible with Crosslink Technology?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which video cards are compatible with Crosslink Technology?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Take a look.
by ahtoi / January 29, 2008 12:48 AM PST
Collapse -
Here's a good link for further info on 'Crossfire'
by VAPCMD / January 29, 2008 12:28 PM PST
Collapse -
OS
by annebush / January 30, 2008 1:00 AM PST

I wanted to use xp with the 64 driver but I may have to switch to vista (which I don't want to do if I don't have to)

Collapse -
Just keep in mind you need a 64 bit OS to effectively
by VAPCMD / January 30, 2008 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: OS

use 4GB or more RAM and many apps can't use more than 2GB.

What will you be using the PC for ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Graphic Design, Rendering, animation creation
by annebush / January 31, 2008 6:34 AM PST

I'm trying to put together a system that can handle huge amounts of graphic data. Textures, Renderings, Motion animation. Typical software I will be using includes 3dtext, Maya?, Photoshop (adobe) and other like software including Coral. Gaming animation, creation. Most of this software does the mathmatical calculations for you, however, multithreading is a concern with the intel chip qx9650. And the graphic cards available for the "crossfire" have limited memory compared to the SLI 8800GT series. And even though in the near future the graphics card (Radeon)memory is going to expand, there is no time date stamp for the use of ddr4. The upgrade will utilize ddr3 on the upcoming graphics cards. From the information I have consumed in the last 3 weeks, I still believe that the intel 9000 series with the ATI structure is the way I want to go. But I do believe that the Nvidia 8000GT and Ultra is of right now, the absolute best card for graphics. So, hence my original question, which card for which board. And as for the board 8 gig of ddr3. Hoping to run Windows xp 2.0+ with 64 bit driver. What do you think?

Collapse -
Never heard of "Windows xp 2.0+"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2008 6:40 AM PST

Who published this? I am going to disparage the 64 bit versions of Windows on self built machines. About 9 in 10 end up back on 32 bit.

Bob

Collapse -
your build
by ramarc / February 1, 2008 12:33 AM PST

Autodesk strongly recommends FireGL or Quadro cards for Maya. Though you can use Radeon or GeForce cards, crossfire nor SLI will be guaranteed to work with Maya and neither will speed up its rendering. Also, certain Maya export features are not available in the 64 bit version. And Photoshop CS is 32bit.
http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/qualcharts/Maya_2008_Qualification_Chart.html

Whatever information you're getting on graphics cards is wrong. No high-end cards use DDR4 now; Radeon and GeForce cards use GDDR3 and both are available in 512MB versions (the 8800GTS/512MB is as fast as the 8800GTX/768). Some Radeons have 1GB ram but it's benefit is almost nil.

And DDR3 has little benefit over DDR2 at the same speed. You need to move up to DDR3-1333 to see any real performance boost and even then it might only win a benchmark by 2%. But 2% only saves you 1 minute on a 60 minute render. Is that worth an extra $1000?
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3053&p=4

Collapse -
correction
by ramarc / February 1, 2008 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: your build

meant to say no high-end cards use ddr4 now. radeons use gddr4/3 and geforce cards use gddr3.

Collapse -
Thank you so much for your information.
by annebush / February 1, 2008 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: your build

wow..a lot to review and look over. Thank you for taking your time to respond to this post. ty ty ty

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.