Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Which version is best for a home user?

Okay, I just realized Vista now has 3 versions. Which is the one that a home user, like me, should use? I plan on purchasing the new HP Pavillion a1747 system in February (hasn't been released yet). It only gomes with 1 GB memory (don't know the CPU speed yet).

I like to use my system for digital photography, burning DVD's, downloading music files and MS Office computing like spreadsheets and Word. I will also be using my new system to work form home as a customer rep, so I'll be web surfing quite a bit.

I looked a C-NET's system requirements and they recommended that your computer run 2 GB memory if you used the Vista Premium. The HP I'm getting will come with that, but only have 1 GB. Is this enough???

Thanks!
-Jennifer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which version is best for a home user?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which version is best for a home user?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From what I see, HP will deliver "one" version.

In reply to: Which version is best for a home user?

Then you pay MS to move to each "up" version. You don't have to make a choice ahead of time.

Bob

Collapse -
Memory

Since you haven't purchased your new unit yet, why not get one with 2 gigs to be on the safe side?

Collapse -
Memory ....

In reply to: Memory

Because the 2 gig system isn't on sale for $799.99. It's cheaper for me to buy the pre-config'd 1GB with the Vista Premium. I can go buy my xtra gig separately for less than what it would cost me for a pre-config'd 2GB system or a custom system.

I want 2 gigs, and it would be nice to buy one pre-config'd, but I'd rather save some $$$ and do a little installation.

Collapse -
See PC World Feb 2007 - You don't need the extra RAM

I get the hard copy of PC WORLD Magazine which again tested VISTA in the February 2007 Edition. The new test results are not available yet on Google. In December, they made tentative conclusions at:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128305-c,vistalonghorn/article.html

In February 2007, they amplified their conclusions on pages 18 through 20. They tested XP versus Vista on (1) ?basic? computers using single core processors and 512MB RAM and (2) 1GIG versus 2GIG of RAM on high end computers.

Not only did Vista run slower than XP on most applications, they essentially found that using 2GIG versus 1GIG of RAM generally produced little or no increase in performance

Collapse -
HP Pavillion a1747 is Athlon AMD X2 4600+

I just went to Costco, they have HP Pavillion a1747cb on display now. According to the box, the CPU speed is 4600+, I think it runs at 2.4GHz.
I'm debating whether to get this vs. the Gateway 5408, Core 2 Duo E4300. Seems like the E4300 is a newer and faster chip???

Collapse -
E4300 vs E6300 vs A64x2

In reply to: HP Pavillion a1747 is Athlon AMD X2 4600+

They are similar, however the E4300 has a lower freq. bus speed than the E6300, but uses a higher multiplier.

The lower bus speed allows for lower quality/speed of ram to be used.
If you are buying a built system and are not going to overclock, the preferred chip would be the E6300 or faster line.

As for the Athlon64 4600+. It is an excellent processor, but the Core2Duo is in fact faster. If your not looking for the absolute fastest thing out there, it doesn't matter which you choose.

If you are gaming, better look for a good Video card in them other wise, pick one and you will most likely be happy. At least at Costco you have 6 months to return it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.