Linux forum

General discussion

Which Version, and what features?

Which Linux is better, and what are the features of each?
The Linux I want, I don't want to pay for. And as the Debian website, it said by free they mean freedom, not free. I thought about it. Then I got confused. I want a free Linux OS, free as in, at no cost in money. Just incase there are Linuxes made for certain type of systems, which I dont know because the websites are confusing about Linux, I will provide some details.

System Number 1:

Bought in 2005
HP Pavilion
Proccessor: AMD Athlon 64
Windows XP Home W/ SP2
RAM: 1 GIG w/ Shared Video Card (128 MEG)
Dial-Up ( I know it would be like visiting hell to download any linux on a dial-up connection, so I decided to go to a friend's house, who's internet speed is 54 Mbps, not sure what type of connection, and I plan to take a few CD(s) or DVD(s) w/me.
Speed 2.4 Ghz

System Number 2

Very Old
ITS Computer
x86
90 something RAM
about 500 Mhz speed
Dial-Up
Windows 2000 Pro NT

Even though I want a Linux with the most features, the main ones I want are to set-up my own e-mail server, web hosting server, and domain server. If these are not possible, its OK, because I think Apache can do that.
It is OK if my stuff wont be up 24/7 and if its slow. I am just a starter
And if doing these things is only possible by getting a server, which I dont want, is ther an alternate?

Anyways, I am a newbie, and a 13 year old. <- Hey, dont judge a person by it's age.

Thank you for spending your time reading this. I hope I cam get a reply.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Version, and what features?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Version, and what features?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Linux from Scratch.

In reply to: Which Version, and what features?

You sound like you want to build your own distro.

Start with http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lfs/html/

I will not offer any comparison between Suse, Redhat and others since... you can do that already. I can't add to what fodder you'll find out on the net already. But Linux from Scratch is for those that are seeking some version they didn't find ready to use.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Linux from Scratch.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Collapse -
Beware...

In reply to: Thanks

There are several distros shipped in recent timet that will not run KPPP, a great dialer. One such was SuSe Pro 9.2. Kppp had several problems. For your purposes, home computers, wvdial will work.

Also, CentOs 4 would not run KPPP.

I have never had a problem with Mandrake and KPPP.

At age 13, you may not have money for an external modem, which eliminates a lot of win modem problems. I have always used internal modems, Lucent and Conexant, but I have laptop and travel a lot.

Collapse -
OK

In reply to: Beware...

OK, I will keep that in mind. And, it is OK if nothing does happen, because, I am just a new guy into this, and I just wanted to explore the Linux world. But, thanks for the help. I will bother if I need more help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.