General discussion

Which update to install

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Which update to install
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Which update to install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How to find missing critical updates-two ways

Belarc advisor (a download) can do this but the best way I've found is to use Windows update which will search your PC for what's missing. Now, I can't say that it's going to do that for SP2 and that may be your issue as SP3 is strongly advised. You may have good reason to not want it, however. Sorry to say that, beyond those options, I don't think there's any real way for anyone here to know what's on your PC and what's not in this regard. What you might be able to do, however, is parse the KB log files in your Windows folder and see if you can find a match for the updates in question. These log files don't go away until you delete them yourself and can pile up in huge quantities and make sifting through them a bit tedious but you could start there if you don't want to us Windows update or Belarc.

- Collapse -
Thanks But

I like to store the files on my HDD so I use windows updates catalogue or sometimes ms download centre. All I needed to know was which update I needed to install on the links I gave

Thanks,

AC

- Collapse -
Thought I gave an answer

No one here is going to know that because we cannot sit down at your PC and do the research. You can use Windows update to search but just not do the installation or you could install Belarc Advisor which gives a fairly comprehensive description of your PC, a list of MS critical updates you already have as well as those you don't. The other option I mentioned was to parse through the KB logs manually and match them to what you're looking for.

- Collapse -
Sorry

Thanks for your help. Worked it out

CNET Forums

Forum Info