Cameras forum

General discussion

Which ultra-compact camera is the best?

by mastermindz / June 24, 2004 12:56 AM PDT

Im planning to purchase a ulta-compact camera that doesnt take up too much space. I first considered the sony t1, pentax optio s4i, and the casio exilim ex-z40. Then i saw that the sony memorysticks are like twice the price of other brands so i didnt like that option. The pentax optio s4i and the casio uses the same lense, but from what ive heard the pentax is smaller, but the casio is better.

Which is the best, is there any other alternatives which are 4-5 mpix?

I would really appreciate an answer!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which ultra-compact camera is the best?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which ultra-compact camera is the best?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Which ultra-compact camera is the best?
by snapshot / June 24, 2004 6:17 AM PDT

When you start trying to make a camera less than one inch thick, the camera maker usually has to start making compromises.

Picture quality seems to be one problem

I looked at customer reports for the Pentax S4i and the Casio EX-Z40 and picture quality is not one of their strong points. I was seeing worse complaints about the Casio picture quality than the Pentax.

The Sony T1 has been a bit of a disappointment for many. Mostly for its very weak flash (less than 5 feet coverage). If you want to take flash pictures, forget this one. The newer T11 is no better.

That leaves the Canon S410 and S500 which are only a bit thicker (1.1 inches). The picture quality for these cameras has been very good. They also use Compact Flash memory cards. You can find very low prices for Compact Flash cards. Their one weak point seems to be short battery life between charges. So plan on buying an extra battery.

If you still want one of the extra thin cameras, look at Minolta (now called Konica/Minolta).
Their thin cameras: G400, Xg, and the just announced X31.

Collapse -
Re: Which ultra-compact camera is the best?
by LSWIGER / October 8, 2004 4:45 AM PDT

If you are still looking try the Minolta X-31

Collapse -
Which ultra compact
by bobcat313 / March 18, 2005 6:28 AM PST

I suggest you buy a Sony television and not a Sony camera, Check out the Olympus line. High praise from me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!