The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Which type of video format does your camcorder use?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / June 28, 2006 4:39 AM PDT

Which type of video format does your camcorder use?

VHS/VHS-C (what brand?)
S-VHS/S-VHS-C (what brand?)
8mm (what brand?)
Hi8 (what brand?)
Digital8 (what brand?)
MiniDV (what brand?)
MicroMV (what brand?)
Mini DVD-R/DVD-RAM (what brand?)
Microdrive, CompactFlash, and built-in hard drive (what brand?)
Other

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which type of video format does your camcorder use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which type of video format does your camcorder use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I got an 8mm at a garage sale
by littlejo$4u / June 29, 2006 3:45 AM PDT

For $10, I really can't complain!

Collapse -
AWFJKg
by DrummerDude952 / June 30, 2006 12:54 AM PDT

Hoo givs

Collapse -
Are you a film student?
by leftcoastguy / July 2, 2006 2:53 AM PDT

8 mm has an attraction for a historian, but you must find the film, shoot it, have it developed, there's no sound, edit it with a cutter and tape or find a converter service to turn it digital, then you can edit it on your PC. Your second film will be digital is my bet.

Collapse -
OOPs! I confused the Super 8 Film with 8mm video.
by leftcoastguy / July 4, 2006 3:32 AM PDT

I used many Hi-8 cassettes, but my old Sony camera would take 8mm as well, with less detail. Are you able to convert to digital for pc editing?

Collapse -
surprised mini-dv only 21%
by karl88 / June 29, 2006 6:44 PM PDT

i'm surprise to see how many people are using older formats - especially VHS-C. i've had mini-DV for 5 years now, and it wasn't that new. analog is dead. wonder why there is still so much of it.???

Collapse -
Older Format vs Newer Format
by antwash / June 29, 2006 9:51 PM PDT

Why do people use the older analog VHS & VHS-C format versus the newer Mini-DV? It's a matter of price and why go to something new if all your needs are being met by what you currently have.
I would have never switched over to Mini-DV unless I had accrued enough hotel and airline points to get one for next to nothing. Analog suited my purpose. If I needed to bring videos into my computer, I used the Dazzle adapter or a video capture card. Pretty much it was a no brainer the "need was being met" by using VHS/VHS-C at the time so why change.

Collapse -
An old Need was being met.
by leftcoastguy / July 3, 2006 4:47 AM PDT

If a person needed transportation to another city, even today he could take a horse. It gets the job done. VHS met the need for capturing a moment. But it degrades on the tape, it degrades when copied, the clarity is reduced both video and audio when copied. To edit it in an analog machine, you must do linear editing instead of dragging and dropping, cutting and pasting. If it's meeting your needs, more power to you.

Collapse -
(NT) I use sony
by jweideman3 / June 29, 2006 10:00 PM PDT

but to make agreat video consider Pinnacle studio/studio plus I have version 10 this is good stuff
best buy carries the program you can go cheaper or more - great support , I bought there transistions package , you maded the investment for your camera
spend the extra money and give your videos and pro
look , I do local commericals with pennacle.
I have nothing to do with Pinnacle But I love there
products ,
raremood@kansas.net

Collapse -
I Have Sony Digital-8
by Dr. Planarian / June 29, 2006 11:09 PM PDT

I got a Sony TRV-460 Digital-8 camcorder when my old Hi-8 camcorder gave up the ghost a couple years ago because it was my only choice that allowed playback my "legacy" 8mm and Hi-8 tapes. This was regrettable, because I really wanted one of those direct-to-DVD camcorders that had just come out. Oh, well.

I'm at a loss as to how to transfer my older content to my computer so as to put it on DVD. I have searched through the menus on my camcorder to try to find some way to feed the output through my FireWire or USB cables to no avail. I don't seem to have any way to plug AV cables into my PC.

I guess I'll have to pony up for some TV card or something. Darn! Or maybe it's finally time to get a DVD recorder, but I can't afford one of those spiffy new Blu-Rays (recorders aren't out yet anyhow except drives for a PC) and it seems a shame to invest in obsolete technology, as I already did with the camcorder.

Hobson's choices all.

Collapse -
What type of camcorder do you use?
by Startracker / June 29, 2006 11:59 PM PDT

It's a Sony DCR-TRV260 Hi8/Digital 8mm. Works great,but battery doesn't hold charge very well when not in use. It plugs straight int a USB port for easy downloading to a program, or to dvd recording.

Collapse -
JPEG video from my Canon S2 IS
by kurtpochert / June 30, 2006 12:11 AM PDT

Still pictures have the much greater place for my recorded memories. My Canon S2 IS records movies very well when I feel that motion and sound are important in capturing something special. Stills are much easier to share, and you can very easily be selective to specific content. A good still camera (I think my Canon S2 is great in this respect) that can record a decient short movie, is my best choice in the picture taking world for an individual family.

Collapse -
DVD - Sony DCR-DVD405
by Mario1776 / June 30, 2006 12:25 AM PDT

This camera rocks. I did much research before purchasing as my specific need was indoor and low-light capability. This was the correct choice for my needs. I guess good research yields good results. DVD format makes life so much simpler to play, replicate, edit, etc.

Collapse -
MiniDV
by dvdlover125 / June 30, 2006 1:45 AM PDT

MiniDV

Collapse -
FULL SIZE VHS camcorder here...
by CathodeRayTube / June 30, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

i have a full size VHS camcorder wich i make my home movies on, its an RCA model and it is a full size but it has an lcd screen & color viewfinder and built in DSP and all the other goodies like autofocus etc...i know digital would probobly be better but i used the same model camera in our school about 10 years ago and i allways wanted one just like it because it looked so cool..and about 3 years ago i bought one on ebay brand new in its box for 200$...im still convinced that tape will last longer and is more durable than dvd so thats one reason why i still use vhs and i think its decent for achival use. however i know its time to upgrade soon so i will be copying all my home movies to a hard drive via a tv card, and will probobly make a huge jump to a digital HD camcorder when they come out that is capable of 1080p and records to a HDD. but i will allways keep my vhs master tapes and the big camera for sentimental reasons. but i will never trust any of my irreplacable memories to dvd, thats for shure.

Collapse -
Camcorder video format
by jetftrplt / June 30, 2006 5:07 AM PDT

I use Digital 8 in order to access older videos made on a previous Hi-8 Camcorder -- Both Sony. I have the capability of direct transfer to DVD via a Pioneer recorder player-- or editing via iDVD and recording on my Mac.

Collapse -
What kind of Tape in your cam corder
by dougle07 / June 30, 2006 8:28 AM PDT

I used Panasonic Mini DV in my Canon GL-1
I used Panasonic SVHS in my Pasasonic 455 SVHS Camera

Collapse -
MiniDV and Digital 8
by nabangsit333 / June 30, 2006 9:48 AM PDT

I have 3 Sony Video cameras. Two use MiniDV and the other Digital 8. One Sony a 3cc camera and I love it.

There are several camcoders on the market that record to digital media (disk drive, DVD). The one to stay away from is the DVD media. I understand the video quality is compared to VHS. In my opinion VHSc is probbaly the worst format. My 2 cents

Collapse -
S-VHS-C Still works fine!
by mweisinger / June 30, 2006 12:55 PM PDT

I'm still using a S-VHS-C camcorder (JVC) which has the ability to record near S-VHS quality on standard (high grade) tapes. I also have a JVC S-VHS VCR so I can play the tapes without using the camera for playback. I use a panasonic DVR to digitize and tapes in a format that can be used in 99.99% of all home DVD machines. I copy the DVDs on my PC which is a little time consuming but all this results in a very low cost system that produces acceptable quality recordings.

Collapse -
Can someone tell me who can convert my MicroMV movies to DVD
by MikeStanleyReed / June 30, 2006 11:50 PM PDT

Can anybody tell me where I can find someone who will copy 12 MicroMV cassettes to DVD?

In the race toward camcorder miniaturization I jumped into a Sony MicroMV camera right after they came out.

When this camera was stolen I did not replace it because it records a pause every time you press the shutter release. The resulting film then is full of disturbing pauses.

I replaced it with a still smaller Sanyo Xacti - - in the mistaken hope that that defect had been remedied!

But now I have 12 hours of film footage that I cannot see: none of the copying outfits I have found, have MicroMV equipment. It would appear Sony has produced another Betamax as they have taken all MicroMV cameras off the European market due to quality insatisfaction.

I live in Argentina and the Sony branch has never attempted to sell MicroMVs here.

If you know of someone who can copy Sony MicroMV tapes in the US I will be most grateful - - I travel frequently to the US. Mike_Reed@schillig.com.ar

Collapse -
MicroMV
by wdlamb / September 17, 2006 10:44 PM PDT

Hi. I can do that for you. I have a Sony DCR-IP5 and edit my video to DVD all the time. The captured mpeg2 files have to be converted to DV if you want to edit the raw footage but if not they will go to DVD just fine. Let me know what you would like to do. I would be glad to do it.

Collapse -
CONVERT MICRO MV TO DVD
by MikeStanleyReed / January 3, 2007 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: MicroMV

Somehow I did not get to read your posting until today!! I cannot explain the delay...

Thank you for offering to copy my Micro MV Sony tapes to DVD.
I have 10 cassettes filmed in China and Japan just before I had my camera stolen.

What would be the cost of having these tapes copied?

I look forward to your news!

Collapse -
I know where you can get your MicroMV movies convert to DVD
by macrulez / October 10, 2006 7:26 AM PDT

I went to Alive Studios who are in the Midlands in the UK.
www.alivestudios-memories.co.uk

Collapse -
Thank your for referring me to Alive Studios!!!

Mr. Macrulez

please accept my sincere appreciation for sending me the address of these people in England.

They seem very professional and quality minded,

thanks again!!

Mike Reed

Collapse -
I used a FILM CLIP camcorder - - with difficulties
by MikeStanleyReed / July 1, 2006 12:11 AM PDT

It was a SANYO Xacti, one of the very small camcorders that record directly onto a Flash Card. Until it was stolen, I was delighted:

x Very small size and power requirements because it doesn't need motors to wind and rewind film.

x Fits in my pocket so I always have it available for movies and medium quality still pictures.

x 1 GB flash card hold 1 hour of film clips

x I can playback movie clips and stills in the same sequence I took them. Other cameras separate them.

x It records MP4 files which I can read in my PC just by plugging in the flash card.

However there are problems

x It records a pause every time you press the shutter

x I have not found a way to copy the files into a DVD disc so I can send copies to my kids.

If anybody has found a way to solve these problems so I can replace this camera (is it a ''camcorder'' or a ''film clip camera''?) with something of similar technology, but improved, I will be most grateful. Mike_Home@schillig.com.ar

Collapse -
Getting MP4 movies to DVD
by frsinger / July 2, 2006 5:43 AM PDT

I have the same type of camera with a 2-gig SD card. Didn't the camera have editing software with it? Most of the new cameras have software that lets you group the little clips (whenever you start/stop filming you get a "clip" or whatever you call it - i.e. a separate mp4 file) and put them on DVD.

To answer your question, first you have to get the mp4 files to your PC, then use the editing software to stick them together, add titles, etc. and then burn to DVD.

Check the disks that came with your camera, I'll bet some really good edit and burning software was included.

Fred

Collapse -
Movie Editor that will Mix JPGs with MP4s
by MikeStanleyReed / July 2, 2006 1:07 PM PDT

The software bundled with my camera will process MP4s and JPGs, but separately - - whereas if I play the camera through my TV and Panasonic HD DVD Recorder it plays back the movie clips and still pictures in the same sequence I shot them, and allows me to record them in that order. This is what I want.

But I cannot edit! Cutting and pasting with a Panasonic HD DVD recorder is not possible: only cutting, and it is a dreadfully slow job.

Is there a program utility that will allow editing a mix of stills and movie clips on my PC?

Collapse -
Editing movies
by frsinger / July 3, 2006 3:28 AM PDT

I think you need to add a step in between by using some easy to use video editing software. I like the drag and drop interface that several (almost all) video editing software products use. Currently I am using Sony's Video Vegas - the inexpensive version that sells for around $60 or so. The darned thing can be used as a simple drag and drop into your movie timeline, or you can really do some fancy edits: titles, backgrounds (sound, music) and even zoom in on certain portions of your video.

The fancy stuff has a steep learning curve, but very well worth it. Then the software lets you burn a completed DVD with menu, etc. Really nice to pass around to other family members or whomever.

Fred

Collapse -
Did you say a Movie Editor that will Mix JPGs with MP4s?
by MikeStanleyReed / July 3, 2006 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Editing movies

It is not clear in your message, wherher this Sony program will allow me to mix slides between MP4 movie clips. Would you please confirm this????

Collapse -
Editing video with jpg photos
by frsinger / July 4, 2006 3:15 AM PDT

Definately the Sony and Pinnacle software editors allow you to insert video AND photos in the same project. I use photos all the time for quick scenes between the action.

You work on a timeline, which represents your completed project. I always start with a photo that gives an idea of the film I am editing. For example, I am editing our trip to Yellowstone last week. First thing is a photo of the Grand Teton mountain range I took along with the title ''Trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks - June 2006'' scrolling on the photo. Then I dropped a video clip of my wife waiting for the plane followed by a video clip of the hotel suite in Teton Village. Two more photos of the mountains follow, etc. etc. You can expand or contract the length of time the photos show in the video by just dragging one end of the photo icon in the timeline.

Once you get over the initial learning curve, it is as easy as any type of software, and very similar to a drawing program for video. I originally learned on Pinnacle Studio thru several versions, then have upgraded to Sony's video editing. Another good one I have is Adobe Premier Elements, an inexpensive version of the high-end video editing software used by professionals.

Hope that helps - you should devote some time to learning one - you won't be disappointed!

Fred

Collapse -
Which type of video format does your camcorder
by gianna Corbisiero / July 1, 2006 3:41 AM PDT

Panasonic DVR-200
Ram Disk

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.