TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Which type of HDMI cable do I need?

by trupro / May 18, 2011 4:45 AM PDT

Hey folks, week's half over so...congrats!
So, FINALLY got myself a nice display and just
need to grab an HDMI cable. I thought this was simple
but now im reading there are more than one type
(not quality, im referring to protocol type).

Allegedly there are a 1.3, 1.4 protocol, and others.
Read that HDMI is video only, whereas something called
a 'video plus' cable also carries 5.1 and/or 7.1 audio
as well.

Definately need one that carries audio, just not sure
if most consumer cables in the store will automatically
be those type, and if i need to worry about 1.3 v 1.4
protocols. Also, if anyone knows which carry 7.1surround
vs. 5.1, if there's any difference, that would be
very helpful as well.

Thanks for your time and your assistance, and have a
great afternoon...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which type of HDMI cable do I need?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which type of HDMI cable do I need?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
BY THE WAY
by trupro / May 18, 2011 4:54 AM PDT

I have read the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI_cables#Cables

as well as other resources. Its just alot of consumer brands, expensive, cheap and otherwise, rarely note the cable type or protocol. Im am lucky that B&H and some more comprehensive retailers offer the actual specs online, however, there are rarely denotations as to whether they handle 3D (dont need rite now) Deep Color (would be nice to have that, I think my TV supports) 5.1, 7.1 or no audio at all. And lol forget about any standard language that will sum all that up on the boxes of most of these things. All in all, i guess im just curious as to what to look for that guarantees at least 5.1 AND 7.1 audio in an HDMI cable. Thanks again folks!!

Collapse -
You don't 'need' deep color support
by Pepe7 / May 18, 2011 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: BY THE WAY

AFAIK there's no commercial material out yet to speak of. So it's marketing fluff, at best.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My choice
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2011 4:55 AM PDT

I went with the most expensive feature laden Amazon Basics cable and parted with 8 bucks.

Works just like all my other cables but this one has all the wires and such.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
by the way...
by trupro / May 18, 2011 4:57 AM PDT

I have read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI_cables#Cables

and other resources. Just wondering what sort of nomenclature i can look for on packaging
that will guarantee at least 7.1 AND 5.1 audio on the HDMI cable im browsing for. They rarely contain the tech talk which, although understandable in the wiki and other finds, is simply not spoken of on most product packaging im seeing out there. They're just like 'here's an HDMI cable' with rarely a note about its type, protocol or compatability..
anyway, thanks again folks!

Collapse -
thanx!
by trupro / May 18, 2011 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: by the way...

Thanks Bob!

Yeah, I am thinking as long as the retailer can guarantee me its at least HDMI 1.3a, it has everything I need. B&H has a tripplite 6 footer for 9bux, i'll grab it omw home.

Indeed, love amazon. Just fiending to play BattlefieldBC2 in
full effect when I get back to the lab.

Im sure ive belabored this a bit, like all my posts, so thanks again !

Collapse -
Nod to Tripplite.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2011 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: thanx!

While I can't speak for the cables, they do brand a lot of items and so far "good for the buck."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?