Storage forum

Question

Which type of hard drive is best?

by Bladactania / January 23, 2012 10:21 AM PST

I'm purchasing an NAS for use as general storage on my home network. The setup will be for 2 HDDs in a Raid configuration. Mainly I'm using the NAS for storing music, video, and documents. I will be streaming the music to my PS3. As I'm searching the HDD market, I'm having a hard time figuring out what type of hard drive is best. I'm looking at 1TB size. But there are different versions. for example, Western Digital has Caviar Green, Blue, and Black. While the Green ones tend to be slightly cheaper, will they be sufficient for my planned usage or would I be better off spending a little more and going for the Blue or Black?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which type of hard drive is best?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which type of hard drive is best?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Which RAID?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 11:37 AM PST

I found RAID 1 to be trouble since there is no safety there. An error in some write is duplicated on both so both copies are gone.

RAID 0 is harsh but fast as one drive fails or gets a little corrupted and both are now corrupted.

RAID 5 starts to get there with you being able to pull a failing drive out and popping in a new one and it automagically starts working (see the DROBO).

Tell more.
Bob

Collapse -
I had thought RAID 1...
by Bladactania / January 23, 2012 2:38 PM PST
In reply to: Which RAID?

I had only planned on having the 2 drives. I thought the point of RAID 1 was to allow for one drive failure without data loss.

I do have an external drive also that I could set up to back up whats on the RAID drives...

Collapse -
Nice theory.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 2:47 PM PST

But data loss in my experience is the person that tapped the delete key. RAID 1 offers no protection from that or mirroring a directory flaw.

And let's cut to the chase. It's no substitute for a backup copy since any electrical fault fries 2 drives instead of one.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Which type of hard drive is best?
by pigez21 / February 13, 2012 4:51 AM PST

i would recommend that you get the solid state,these are durable and is cost worthy.

Collapse -
I do not reccomend SSD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2012 4:54 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?