TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Which tv do you recommend?

by rv5869 / November 7, 2008 8:19 AM PST

This tv will be for viewing all types of shows, (movies, sports...) no games or computer hookups. Picture quality is the main goal, features don't mean much to me. It will go in a dark room so plasma is also an option. The following is a list of televisions that I can get for a similar price. What would you (the experts)recommend? All are 40 to 42" and 1080p.

Sharp LC42SB45U
LG LG42LG70
Panasonic TH-42PZ80U (Plasma)
Sony Bravia KDL-42V4100
Samsung LN40A550

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which tv do you recommend?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which tv do you recommend?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Panasonic best PQ
by givemeaname / November 7, 2008 11:05 AM PST
Collapse -
Samsung
by superteke331 / November 7, 2008 11:09 AM PST

Based on the reviews with this site, the samsung is probably the better choice. I went to Best Buy today and saw that samsung and looked good hooked up to the blu-ray.

Collapse -
but
by givemeaname / November 7, 2008 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung

was it the 5 series????

I went to BB today too & saw a samsung hooked up at a bluray but it was the 8 series hooked-up.

Collapse -
but the OP didn't specify blu ray
by Pepe7 / November 7, 2008 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung

My vote would be for the set which handles the cable or sat box content better, as that's what most folks view more often. Blu ray's not going to be the deal breaker between two HDTV's that are both very good.

Collapse -
Not sure about plasma
by rv5869 / November 8, 2008 12:57 AM PST

What else would you recommend? Am I overthinking this and all sets will perform similar?

Collapse -
you are not overthinking this
by jostenmeat / November 8, 2008 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure about plasma

there's a lot to know.

That being said, count me in for the Panasonic as well.

Plasma will look better with SD material. It will have better NATIVE contrast, better viewing angle, more accurate color, and be cheaper while doing so.

They also happen to have the best track record among brands listed.

I've never seen a Sharp LCD tv that I did not absolutely abhor. I don't think I've ever seen more issues with motion in any other brand.

I don't think that Sammy listed has it, but a lot of the newer LCD tv's at 120hz can apply frame interpolation. Some people love it. I don't. VP is not powerful enough yet for fast motion, and you will suffer artifacting. Like 3 footballs in the air instead of one.

Yes 24p has inherent judder. However, I appreciate film as it is. I will wait for the source itself to change.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!