TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Which tv converter box and antenna will I need?

by Becky M / March 14, 2008 10:14 PM PDT

I have an analog tv and use rabbit ears for reception. I am also 28 miles from all stations. Which box should I buy or what features/specs should I look for in a box. I am seeing them run from $50 to $200.

Since the switch won't take place until next February and I have to use my coupon before August, will I get a true idea of what total "silence" will look like when I plug the box in or will the fact that analog is still there give me a better picture than I really will have?

Will I still be able to use my rabbit ears or will I need a stronger antenna? I am assuming that the antenna's effectiveness will be diminished somewhat because it is being run through the box. My antenna isn't at all a fancy one..."ears" with a small ring in the middle and a dial for UHF/Vhf.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which tv converter box and antenna will I need?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which tv converter box and antenna will I need?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
based on what you're talking about
by obobskivich / March 15, 2008 4:13 PM PDT

you'll likely need a new digital antenna and box, although honestly i'd just get cable or sattelite TV (why not?)

when it comes to getting a digital to analog device, i'd just go for what you can afford, if you've got some product links i'd be happy to look them over, although I'm going to venture that its all basically the same stuff (you can only get so much quality with over-the-air broadcasts, its like car stereos, after a point spending the money is worthless if you just want to listen to the radio)

Collapse -
by Becky M / March 16, 2008 12:07 AM PDT

"...i'd just get cable or sattelite TV (why not?)..." an additional $25 per month for cable and $40 per month for satellite. Sounds like I'll be just getting my news, weather and sports, etc. on the internet. I am on a fixed income and can barely afford my internet connection as it is.

Maybe there will be more reviews on some of these boxes before the coupon expires.

Collapse -
settings for strong box
by rodd65 / January 17, 2010 10:28 AM PST

gday, can anyone help me with which satellite to use, which frequency, what symbol rate and what polarization to be on? im at burekup just north of bunbury,wa. i have an analogue tv. thanks rod

Collapse -
Start a new thread with more info
by Pepe7 / January 17, 2010 12:54 PM PST

You need to provide more specifics in a separate thread to receive help here.

Collapse -
settings for set top box
by rodd65 / January 17, 2010 8:29 PM PST

okay pepe7 will try. box is SRT4652 dish is good, i;ve had it working a few days ago. i;ve tried the auto scan but comes up with NO AUDIO/VIDEO SIGN, what settings do i need to scan manually? hope thats enough info as im not too flash with all this elctronic gismo stuff. thanks rod

Collapse -
Which TV model and how is it connected?
by Pepe7 / January 18, 2010 4:04 AM PST

What cables are you using? Any other components involved here? It's hard to help w/o having the complete picture of what you're working with. [ Mind reading isn't my specialty Wink ]

Collapse -
settings for strong box
by rodd65 / January 18, 2010 7:32 AM PST

Hi pepe7, sorry cant help with more info, as i wrote before it was working a few days ago. i bought the set up a couple of years ago. all i know is that the cable, with screw in connections, goes from the dish to set top then to tv. nothing flash as i said. if you cant help with that little info ive given, oh well. ive been told that now & then the satellite gets moved, is that true & could that be my problem? thanks for your effort anyway, rod

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?