HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Which T.V is Better

by fitzroy71 / October 17, 2007 12:34 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which T.V is Better
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which T.V is Better
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If the question is just LCD VS plasma...
by RustyDallas / October 17, 2007 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Which T.V is Better

to my eye plasma looks better but some people like the way lCD looks better. Plasma seems to give the picture more depth. Some say that's because of the better contrast ratios but even LCD's that claim the same contrast ratios don't look as good to me. Aside from that, bigger is always better. I have no idea about the two brands you reference and have never seen them but I'd be careful about that part. Most people in here don't recommend straying into off brands but Vizio and LG get the best reviews in the less expensive sets. My vote would be 42" plasma.

Rusty

Collapse -
Cool
by fitzroy71 / October 17, 2007 2:15 AM PDT

Yea but I mostly game and I do so for long periods of time is there a high chance of burn in? I have also heard plasmas die after a year or so is this true?

Collapse -
This is really getting ridiculous lol...
by stuntman_mike / October 17, 2007 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Cool

Plasmas do not die after a year. I don't know who told you that but it is just stupid. Manufacturers claim that a plasma will last 60,000hrs (26yrs), before they dim to half brightness. That could be marketing hype or a complete lie, but people are so quick to believe the life spans of LCDs which are also given by the manufacturer. To be on the safe side, say that they last half that long, it still puts them in the same range of lifespan as an LCD.

Your other point about burn-in is somewhat valid. Burn-in is not as big an issue as people believe. They are almost a non issue today because of all of the burn-in safeguards that new plasmas come with. At least high end plasmas. I don't know about Vizios and LGs and such. Plasmas use a pixel orbiter technology that moves every pixel over by one continuously to prevent burn-in. It is not noticable though. The other method is by sending out a white test screen which actually burns the burn-in off the screen lol. So burn-in is a little overblown. If the TV that you want doesn't have any methods to combat or remove burn-in, then it is recommended that you break in your TV before long periods of gaming. I don't remeber the number of hours that it should be in use before it is sufficiently broken in, but the manufacturers sometimes provide you with this info and I have also seen it here on CNet.

In all honesty I did not look at the models for the links you provided. I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions and give you an idea of things to be aware of. And I am not a big fan of off brands anyway so I wouldn't be much help in choosing between two off brands anyway lol.

Good luck

Collapse -
You should go look at the TV's
by RustyDallas / October 17, 2007 5:06 AM PDT

I was gonna say the same thing as Mike. If you play so many video games that you burn up 60,000 hours of watching in less than 7-8 years, you gotta get more exercise. That's not healthy. I've also heard that burn in has been fixed on name brands in the ways that Mike states but I have no experience. I liked plasma the best but possibly irrational fear of burn in was one of the reasons that I went with rear projection. Size for the money was the other. It won't affect your game playing but I bet if you go and watch the two models you listed on analog stations at CC, you'd see a big differance in picture quality between those less expensive models and higher rated plasma's and LCD's. For sure, the standard def processors in the TV's won't be created equally. As it stands today, even when you get your cable/sat. high def package, you'll still watch a lot of TV on standard def stations. Their aren't that many high def stations available yet and the picture quality isn't nearly as good. You'll appreciate the better 480i processing as much as any other feature.

Rusty

Collapse -
OK, you're a budget buyer. But Olevia & Element are really
by NM_Bill / October 17, 2007 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Which T.V is Better

off brands. I quickly didn't run across much on the Element, but the Olevia is now popular because of price. Some feel is is good value for the price, but it has had HDMI port issues, poor sound quality, some have had a green tint issue, & bothersome humming noise problem.

My sincere idea is to put a few more bucks together to get a Vizio. Vizio has done the best recent aggressive selling & has a bit more track record for quality & is sole at good prices at places like Sam's Club & Costco. One can benefit from those places sales policies.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.