Cameras forum

General discussion

Which started SLR to get?

by VIC4878 / May 31, 2008 10:58 PM PDT

Hi,all

I am looking to switch from point and shoot to SLR camera. I am considering the following: Canon Rebel XTI and Nikon D40 or D80. My main goal is to be able to shoot continuos action/sport shots from a distance .I am looking for a very short lag time abd start up lag time. I guess I would also need a decent lens. I heard that Nikon d40 is best for close-ups and Rebel - for action shots. Can this be substantiated or this is just personal opinion?

If I get either one - can I get by with 15-55mm lens that comes with these cameras? I heard that it is "OK" . Is it worth to get into SLR market with this kind of lens or this would be the same as high end point and shoot?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which started SLR to get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which started SLR to get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
depends
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / May 31, 2008 11:54 PM PDT

The DSLRs are for people that want more control over their camera and can harness the ability of the lens and camera. That said, the lens that come with these cameras are slow and do not do well for stopping action or in low light. They are starter lens to get you going and find out what you want for the next lens.

What type of sports are you planning to shoot and is there a chance that it will be in the evening, indoors, or at night under light?

Your questioning on whether it's better to get a point and shoot is valid if your likely to use the auto modes. A good point and shoot can take photos that are hard to discern from a DSLR. I own both a high quality point and shoot and a DSLR. The difference is very small when shooting in normal to bright light situations.

That said, the initial purchase is just the beginning when you find out how good an external flash can be and wanting faster lens or higher quality optics. One good telephoto lens that are used in sports is double the initial cost that you're looking for in the initial purchase

Collapse -
This is what I was afrid off...
by VIC4878 / June 4, 2008 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: depends

The fact that I would most likely need to invest in a more advanced lens or other additional accessories with dSLR, really makes me re-examine whether DSLR is for me as I am on a very tight budget.

Perhaps if I invest in a good Point and Shoot I really don't need dSLR? For example, I was not able to take decent picture of my son's convocation ceremony (took place inside) and music recital (again inside). These two occasions required me to focus from a distance in a not so perfect light (no sunlight). Pictures were dark and blurry. There is no way I can take distance action shots with my point and shoot (very old Fuji) I can only take closeup portrait shot with that camera.

Recently I came across Nikon Coolpix P80 ( for sports enthusiast). I wonder if this is something I should look into instead of DSLR??

Any advice?

Collapse -
can be

The P80 will work with outdoor sports in with good light. It doesn't have the depth of field, so the background will not be as separated from the person in focus. If light drops or you want to do indoor sports then that's where you will see the drop off. The point and shoot is a good choice for most people.

Collapse -
Nikon P80
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 4, 2008 5:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
It depends
by jump1127 / June 4, 2008 10:34 PM PDT

whether how serious you really take photography. For a starter, Canon Rebel Xsi with the kit lense 18-55IS and 55-250IS will serve you well for the tight budget. Any DSLR camera mostly performs better than any P&S camera under the dim light circumstances.

On the other hand, you don't need to get into those expensive thing, stick around with P&S camera, such as Canon G9 or so. But, under the dim light, a tripod is required to shoot a picture properly.

Try them and see if what will serve your need. Good luck.

Collapse -
My main goal
by VIC4878 / June 5, 2008 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: It depends

The reason I would like to make a switch to DSLR is (1) to have minimal lag time and no start up lag so that I can take action shot and (2) be able to take shots ( good focus) from a distance. I got very upset after I missed good shots during my kids graduation ceremony and music recitals.This is what prompted me to look into DSLRs. Not sure if large distance actions shots can be achieved with point and shoot?? I heard that DSLR will always outperform point and shoot in these areas....

Collapse -
gives better selection
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / June 5, 2008 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: My main goal

The XSi has One-Shot AF, AI Servo AF, AI Focus AF, and Manual focusing (MF)as options for the autofocus. That doesn't even count the live view contrast focusing. The DSLR with a fast focusing lens can beat the point and shoot in speed, but accuracy is still not always there.

The XSi has 9-points of autofocus, but many DSLR owners ownly use the center focusing point. Most don't trust the system to determine what will be focused on, but the single point allows the photographer to have a very good idea of what will be in focus.

Also, with consumer grade lens the DSLRs will have just as hard of a time indoors as many of the point and shoots. DSLRs are not point and shoot cameras even thought they seem to be. Most of the advantages that are gained by a DSLR is due to the photographer being able to control the settings for each shot. If you use a DSLR in auto modes then the photos will not look much different than a good point and shoot.

Collapse -
I think
by jump1127 / June 5, 2008 3:46 PM PDT
In reply to: My main goal

any DSLR will suit you well. Canon Rebel Xsi is a good choice with 2 lenses, I mentioned previously.

Canon is good for shooting portrait type picture regard the correct skin tone. Nikon suits more regard landscape and macro type photography considering the high contrast and more colorful. Nevertheless, the pictures shooting by either Canon or Nikon, can be manipulated by Photoshop the way you want.

The only trouble for Nikon is that you must know what kind of lense can be used to what DSLR category. For instance, D40-60 cameras must use the lense equipped with motor, only Nikon AF-S and AF-I lenses are useful. Some Nikon lenses features are not fully applicable to each Nikon camera. The mighty Nikon D3 will end up with a crop factor with DX and AF lenses and unable to use 3D matrix metering. Nikon camera and lenses are also excellent, just some precautions.

For Canon, the choice of lenses are more flexible. For example EF-S lenses for 1.6 multiplier DSLR, such as Canon 10-40D and Rebel series. Meanwhile, EF lenses are always usable to every kind of Canon camera, both SLR and DSLR. Good luck with your new camera soon.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.