PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Which Soundcard to choose from?

I have Zoltrix Twister Speakers. (4.1)

I am going to buy a sound card. Either Creative SB Live! or Audigy 2 value or Creative Audigy 2 ZS.

Which is the best choice?.

Will 4.1 speakers work on a 5.1,6.1,7.1 supported soundcard?

Also, are Zoltrix Twister speakers (4.1) better or Creative SBS 370 (2.1)?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Soundcard to choose from?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Soundcard to choose from?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The best card is Creative Audigy 2ZS

In reply to: Which Soundcard to choose from?

I use this card in my computer and it works great, however, i can't tell the difference between integrated graphics and the sound card because i don't use a lot of sound-intensive stuff. It's your choice, might depend on the size of your wallet because the 2 ZS will cost you $90 and higher.
ROger

Collapse -
that could be a problem

In reply to: The best card is Creative Audigy 2ZS

um, you should be able to differentiate between Integrated Graphics and an Audigy 2 ZS....

for 4.1 speakers you can use them on a 6.1 and 7.1 Sound Card (i have the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, and I use 5.1 speakers through it...and the sound is just amazing)

If you have 4.1 output to your speakers you should really only consider the upgrade if you are going to use it...the Audigy 2 ZS is around $90, and the Platinum is upwards of $160

but to explain the differences between Creative's current sound card line up (i'm ommiting Audigy 1)

Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 Platinum are the same PCI card, and the Platinum packaged includes an I/O box that goes in a 5.25" bay in the case

Audigy 2 Platinum eX is a difference PCI card, and includes an external box

Audigy 2 ZS, 2 ZS Gamer and 2 ZS Platinum are the same PCI card, Gamer Edition includes 5 free games (Actually good free games) Platinum is just the I/O box (and remote, 2 Plat. afaik has a remote too) and has more professional geared software (i'm sure 2 Plat. has a simmilar software package)

Audigy 2 ZS Plat. Pro is a difference PCI card, and has the external box, of all the cards i've mentioned thus far the 2 ZS Plat. Pro is best

Audigy 4 Pro is called 4 because it supports 4 input/4output for audio recording/work, and it includes 7.1 THX certified surround sound

the Audigy 4 Pro is a choice if your working with a lot of audio/doing recording (2 ZS Plat. Pro and 2 ZS Plat. are capable of audio in/out, the ZS Plat. something like 3in/2out (one of those is the regular comp speakers) and ZS Plat. Pro is simmilar, but offers ASIO 2 while 2 ZS Plat. does not)

Audigy 4 is only different in that it offers the 4in/4out feature, and the 5dB higher SNR

i would suggest this if your getting the card to game:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-171&depa=0

that's only because it includes free games, if you own the games it includes, then just get this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-162&depa=0

if you want to save some money, but understand that you'll have to possibly find drivers from Creative's Site:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-102-178&depa=0

also
Mad Dog's soundcards support A3D (Which Creative's cards do not, A3D is Aureal 3D...Aureal is a dead company btw, just like 3dfx, but they had their own audio software (just like 3dfx had it's own API(3dfx Glide)))

i'd say Creative's cards would be the best option
i've heard some great things about Turtle Beach (the Santa Cruz in particular)

i haven't heard much about Mad Dog's sound cards (Which can be found at www.maddogmultimedia.com) but the little I've heard wasn't bad (they are in the value range, with Turtle Beach, while the Audigy 2 ZS cards are in the more expensive range)

Collapse -
yeah

In reply to: that could be a problem

quoting "Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, and I use 5.1 speakers through it...and the sound is just amazing" yeah i got Aureal-Audigy Integrated Sound Card. and OMG!!! Get complaints daily from the neighbors!! Happy woohaw! -noobie p.s. you wont be disapointed with this card. especialy with a sub-woofer Grin

Collapse -
Aureal-Audigy?

In reply to: yeah

that's like saying ATi GeForce

Aureal was from the Aureal corporation, and Audigy is Creative's current generation of soundcard...they are not friends (and Creative's cards use EAX, Aureal's used A3D)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.