Phones forum

General discussion

Which should I choose?? Verizon, Sprint, or Cingular??

by joan mcgee / September 7, 2006 8:30 AM PDT

Hi every1, I wanted 2 noe if Verizon, Sprint, or Cingular is better in reception?? I want the carrier that has the most reception everywhere. plz comment!! thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which should I choose?? Verizon, Sprint, or Cingular??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which should I choose?? Verizon, Sprint, or Cingular??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Verizon without a doudt...
by 39v8 / September 8, 2006 2:05 PM PDT

With cingular you will need at least 3 bars of signal showing on your phone to make a call and even with that it would drop the call i bet. With Verizon you only need one bar showing and your call will work fine, every time. I have a razr v3m which makes calls without any bars showing on the phone and never drops a call..but the top 3 phones in signal strength with verizon v325..vx8300 and the samsung these phones have vz tool ever made for cell phones.

Collapse -
Ripped Off Family
by goldberg3971 / September 9, 2006 2:54 PM PDT

My family got ripped off by Verizon. They gave us 500 minutes when we were supposed to get the 700 and we had to pay $70. When I lost my phone in Florida, they sent a replacment but they extended the contract for another 5 weeks. So the main phone is ''expired'' and now the expiration dates of the plan on the other 2 phones are a month apart.

-Pay $70 for 500 when real amount was 700
-Phone lost so the contract on one of the phones was on hold.
-Result = minor confusion.

And a phone they recommended me sucked with 2 out of 4 bars. Calls did not get through.

Collapse -
Ripped Off Individual
by mudpie / September 10, 2006 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Ripped Off Family

Verizon touted a FREE 10 day trial of their service so i could compare it to my current service and determine which carrier provided better signal. Took the offer, and kept the phone for 10 days. Signal was moderately better than my current phone. Returned phone. I was barraged by bills from Verizon so talked to local office. Supposed to be sorted out. Then came the verizon phone calls all hours day and night for what they say i owe them $32.75 for 10 days of free trial service. Now they have turned it over to a collection agency without notify me that this was being done!!! Verizon, count me out

Collapse -
verizon phone
by jane van saun / September 10, 2006 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Ripped Off Individual

thanks for taking the time to post

Collapse -
Define "everywhere"...
by boya84 / September 9, 2006 4:25 AM PDT

US? Canada? Other international?

Collapse -
by eg77 / September 9, 2006 8:33 AM PDT

Well, it depends if you just mean overall everywhere in US coverage, VZW w/o a doubt.

But, you might want to see which has better coverage in/around your area

but if you base your choice solely on overall coverage (which you shouldnt) than in order from best to worst

Collapse -
Did You Forget?
by goldberg3971 / September 9, 2006 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Well..

Sprint and Nextel merged together?

Collapse -
in case
by Joao Eduardo Pereira / September 9, 2006 5:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Well..

In case if choose verizon because its service but thinks its expensive... consider AMPS it uses verizon service and its a lot cheaper. okay.

Collapse -
Here is from what i have experienced
by Joao Eduardo Pereira / September 9, 2006 11:28 AM PDT

Okay, here is the thing i had sprint, verizon, cingular. I had sprint got ripoff really bad, than i got verizon great service but bill are never right, i had problems with all the phones i had, i started my service with v710 had so much trouble, than i got e815 great at first than i had problem every week, freezing and everything, got the lg 9800 great phone had 3 different one in 2 months, no service so i decided to get something that works, cingular. I had for 3 months. its the same price as verizon but the bill is right always the same price. I LOVE IT... and i get service.. different from verizon. verizon has it s moments but now it s.... dont waste ur money. trust me. I talk to the guy and he told me that cdma phones are horrible. has a lot of software problem.

Collapse -
by goldberg3971 / September 9, 2006 2:58 PM PDT

CDMA may be the dominant cellular frequency in America but GSM can be used worldwide and actually work better than CDMA in urban areas.

Verizon may have the best phone lineup but when you compare by price, Verizon is overpriced.

Collapse -
by usachatnow / September 9, 2006 6:17 PM PDT

I have had tried alot of different cell phone companies and so far the best one outta all the ones i have tried is verizon. The reason why i say this is...verizon customor service was better outta the others and the cell phones were also much better. The only thing about verizon is it is costly unlike Tmobile where i pay 50 bucks a month for 3000 anytime mins. But with tmobile i get alot of dropped called. Verizon very few.

Collapse -
by Maxous2kel / September 11, 2006 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: verizon

i had sprint for the last 3 years. worst service in the world backed by even worse customer service!!! Sprint dropped calls all the time and doesnt work in very many places. I drove from los angeles to mammoth on 395- no srvice until bishop and then no service until mammoth, meanwile my girlfriends verizon phone worked the whole time as she made multiple calls. also sprint didnt work in most of oregon and washington and in many places around l.a. i ended up switching to cingular and it works great. i chose cingular because they work international. no more dropped calls works out in the middle of now where etc.

basically go wtih cingular or verizon but please NO sprint...they suck

Collapse -
Like There's Even A Doubt?...
by Psych Doc / September 11, 2006 4:15 AM PDT

...Verizon in a heartbeat.

Year after year in simply annhialates every other carrier in Consumer Reports' ratings of cell phone carriers. They rate the carriers performance in about four seperate areas in the top 12 metropolitan areas in the US. Verzon tops the list in every single city. Not even close.

Get Verizon. It costs a few dollars more but you know what they say about 'getting what you pay for.'

Collapse -
TracFone: If you don't need a lot of minutes!
by nhojremlap / September 13, 2006 1:04 AM PDT

The good things about using TracFone:

- No contract, activation fees or credit check
- Connects to just about every wireless service carrier in the USA, depending on where you happen to be at the time of your call (99% nationwide coverage in USA)
- Minutes don't expire
- Signup for email mewsletters and get special discounts on airtime
- Change phones without paying additional fees (other than the cost of the phone itself)
- TracFone offers international service
- No additional taxes
- Buy more airtime online, on the phone, or at about 60,000 retailers
- The phones display airtime balance

The bad things:

- It's a prepaid system. Buy more TracFone Prepaid Wireless Airtime cards as you need them. If you run low on minutes, purchase and add more cards. To keep your TracFone service active, you must purchase and add a TracFone Prepaid Wireless Airtime every 60 or 365 days depending on the card type and denomination. Add airtime before your due date and your remaining minutes and service days will carryover and be added to your phone, to a maximum of 120 days with any combination of regular airtime cards or 730 days with any combination of annual plan cards.
- The per-minute cost is higher, so if you need a lot of minutes, this isn't good.
- Not as many phone models as the other companies.
Collapse -
I can't vouch for the others....
by NestoJR / September 15, 2006 9:25 PM PDT

As I've always had Cingular (used to be AT&T years ago) and had Nextel for awhile (loved the Direct Connect, I mean LOVED IT, but rate plans too pricey and not enough min, for business its great though).

But Cingular, despite my disdain for contracts but what company doesn't do contracts, has just about always been good to me, never screwed me in the near decade long I've been with them (if you count the AT&T years) and network has gotten better over the years. The places that used to be deadspots (indoors, certain neighborhoods) aren't there anymore. Your reception differs with phones though but my blackberry is awesome. Their data plan pricing I will admit is ridiculous.

Collapse -
The carrier may not matter.
by jedinc / September 15, 2006 10:58 PM PDT

Check out the reception in the areas where you want to use the phone the most. If you cannot make & receive calls the carrier doesn't matter. The West end of my ZIP code has great reception. The East side is DEAD! I found this out when I start getting new customers.

Collapse -
It probably depends on your area
by bderou2 / September 15, 2006 11:17 PM PDT

I can, and others can tell you their experience based on what they see in their areas, but it may depedn on where you're from.

Case in point: Years ago, I lived in the New Orleans area and there was no doubt at the time, Sprint had the best coverage. Cingular was good (actually, it was Bell South Mobility at the time) but Sprint had them beat. I now live in Baton Rouge, only about an hour away and while Sprint is good if you're in the city, get on the outskirts of the city and your out of luck. Cingular is good if you're standing outside and not in a building (I think it has to do with their GSM technology)but try to use your phone inside, and you're screwed. Verizon (who I'm with now) is by far the best network in my area.

And while I'm on it, they have the absolute best customer service! I've been blatantly lied to by Cingular and when I caught them on it, they acted like "too bad....we got you by the balls". Sprint was not far behind that in their 'don't care about the customer' attitude. But Verizon has never failed to help me out if I had an issue. Now, at least in this area, you pay more for Verizon, but like the old saying goes 'you get what you pay for.

I'd suggest that you pick one and try it and run it through it's paces for the first 15 days. Most networks have a 2 week return policy. But check on that to make sure and get it in writing. cingular would tell you they do and then refuse to take it back if/when you want to return it.

Good luck

Collapse -
So True...
by Psych Doc / September 16, 2006 2:24 AM PDT

..Verizon has absolutely awesome customer service. As you say, they have NEVER disappointed me. On a recent trip to Montreal I used my phone not realizing it was roaming. I got my bill and it was about $30 higher than normal. I called customer service and explained that I was unaware of this and asked if they could deduct the roaming charges even though it was my fault. They immediately said that they could and would as a "one time courtesy." They had absolutely no obligation to do this for me but they did so happily and with no hastle.

You simply can't beat these guys. They are so far and away the best it's laughable that anyone would even think of going with anyone else.

Collapse -
Nextel iDEN
by eeemang / September 17, 2006 9:46 AM PDT

In my opinion, the clearest voice quality is that offered by Nextel with its iDEN digital protocol. Nextel has a digital only signal and no roaming ever to use the older analog networks that have horrible voice quality.
My opinion continues below ****

(Yeah, yeah, I sincerely hope the eventual migration to a new system by Sprint and Nextel incoporates the super voice quality now on the Nextel iDEN network- hold your big comments out there!)
I really dont care what others my have as an opinion so dont be wasting your time commenting on this opinion to me all you others.

****the rest of my opinion:
I always have picked up a Nextel digital only signal in my travels in many US states, and in Canada also on the Telus network. (I dont go into the deep woods or the deserts and most people dont also) and have been able to talk clearly with all my contacts.
Mobile to mobile the Nextel to Nextel is super clear.
Not true of my friends and relatives with Verizon and with other carriers.
Verizon seems to have a stacato quality at times that stops every other syllable
Sprint CDMA users have a resounding echo quality.
TMobile GSM users join in the stacato chorus.
CellularOne users (GSM? CDMA?) for 4 of my relatives in "upsate" NY) will get my voice mail messages many hours later although they were away from their phone for only a few minutes when I called.

So you asked and that is my opinion.

Collapse -
PS Nextel is Motorola quality
by eeemang / September 17, 2006 9:56 AM PDT

Forgot to mention that Nextel phones (so far) are ALL MOTOROLA quality made devices.
Motorola phones work really well and the speakerphone quality is tops

Collapse -
by wsears / September 17, 2006 10:42 PM PDT

I've had a verizon since 2001 and never had any problems. the price is good too. the plan i chose is 300 weekday hours and unlimited nights/weekends. I've never gone over and I use my phone practically everyday. All that for 34.99 a month.

My son has Nextel and he can't wait until his contract is up. That are way overpriced! the reception isn't nearly as good as mine.

My husband and daughter both are with Cingular. It's ok but the signal isn't always up to par. the price is good though. they are on the family plan where it's $39.99 for the first phone and $19.99 (an additional $10 for unlimited text messages) for the 2nd phone. I think they share 500 minutes. the reason why it works for them is my husband RARELY uses the phone and my daughter does more text than voice.

I hope this helps some. IN my opinion I would always stay with Verizon! I just wish there regular phone service was as good as the cell phone! That's another long story!
Good Luck!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?