PC Hardware forum

General discussion

which scanner is better?

by 3652 / May 30, 2010 2:24 PM PDT

CanoScan LiDE 700F or HP Scanjet G3010 Photo Scanner
-it will be use to scan old 35mm films, for home use
-what are the pros and cons of each? any other suggestions?
-thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which scanner is better?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which scanner is better?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Other suggestions
by Steven Haninger / May 30, 2010 7:31 PM PDT

I've recently purchased an Epson Perfection V600 Photo scanner but had been using an old HP 5470 if I needed to scan 35 mm slides and negatives. I've just finished scanning nearly 1000 color slides for my dad. These are both Kodachrome and Ektachrome types. I've also done quite a few color negatives with this scanner. Many of the slides were poorly exposed and had other flaws due to storage and aging but the images were fairly amazing given what I had to work with. I made a slide show for him with Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements and he's quite happy as he's never going to drag out his old Carousel projector and screen again. Now he can view these on his TV or PC. I've made a few prints and they are quite impressive. The only drawback is that hi-res scanning using the correction features of the included software can be a bit slow. Normal scanning is quick enough but any film and negative scanning is a tedious process. My old HP did an acceptable job if I didn't care to print images larger than standard size such as you'd get from a drug store photo concession. It also didn't have the feature of finding the images and creating individual files from multiple slides in one pass. The Epson does and even offers a small amount of customized correction to individual frames. I couldn't be happier for the price as good dedicated film and slide scanners are out of my range. This Epson is a bit more than the two you listed but you can find it discounted some. I didn't buy it just because it could do slides and negs but as a good general purpose scanner but this feature was a worthwhile bonus.

Ok, this isn't exactly what you wanted but you did ask for other suggestions. My post may sound like an ad for this scanner but it's not. I don't own any other Epson products anymore but this. I'd used their dot matrix printers in the past but that was long ago but my current printers are HP. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
thanks
by 3652 / May 31, 2010 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Other suggestions

thanks, i'll check that one

Collapse -
neither if you're want quality film scans
by ramarc / May 31, 2010 12:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
so..
by 3652 / May 31, 2010 11:49 AM PDT

any other decent scanner in +-$100?

Collapse -
not for film scanning
by ramarc / June 1, 2010 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: so..

$100 scanner is made for doc scanning and print scanning. film/negative is a different beast and needs a scanner designed for it to handle since you can't just invert the colors and expect it look right.

Collapse -
aww...
by 3652 / June 1, 2010 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: not for film scanning

i think that i really have to increase the budget to get the job done, by the thanks, i'll check my options....=)

Collapse -
by 3652 / June 1, 2010 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: aww...

***i think that i really have to increase the budget to get the job done,thanks anyway, i'll check my options....=)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!