HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Which Samsung LCD?

by Georgia in MS / June 28, 2008 11:39 PM PDT

Man, you get a headache trying to decide a on TV! Too much to consider! I feel like I need "Buying a TV for Dummies." I only buy a TV about every 10 years.

I'm leaning toward the 46 or 52 550, 650, 750.

I have cable, satellite, Panasonic home theater, and dvr/vhs combo. I also have a Media Center Laptop that I use as a DVR that I would like to play over the TV.

I watch sports, ESPN (read somewhere about ESPN ticker being blurry on one), movies, regular TV.

So, with those factors, which LCD would be best? How many and what kind of cables do I buy so that everything is hooked up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Samsung LCD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Samsung LCD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same boat
by teach610 / July 2, 2008 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Which Samsung LCD?

I am in the same boat, trying to decide on a new TV. I already posted twice and no one responded to my posts. I have been reading a lot of reviews and comments from people who have bought the different models that I am interested in. I am still confused like you are. Sorry I can't help you. Good luck on your decision.

Collapse -
Here is which one
by JRoth58 / July 2, 2008 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Which Samsung LCD?

I have done research for the last 4 months on all of Samsungs tvs because I had a plasma and the panel went out in less then a year. The reason i am going back to Samsung is because they gave excellent customer support they offered me a new plasma or my money back that was on the reciept. I play video games so i was like maybe plasma was not the way to go. So i got my money back. Then i move into a new place in August so I have been doing research since February so I am waiting til August to buy it. I have researched the 550, 650 ,750. Im talking about reading almost every forum, feedback, and specs. I heard the 550 isnt that great with the blacks not that it is terrible it is just not as good as 650 or 750. The 750 I have learned has a problem with the screen going onto the outer most glass im kind of confused on that but i have seen that problem everywhere i read. It seems the 650 is the best you get the 50,000:1 contrast giving you better blacks then most plasmas. I am getting the 52inch but they have i think a 32 and for sure have a 46in. This TV is the best I have heard nothing and the shutting off automatically thing is fixed with the update u get online through a usb drive.

So i would go with the 650 LCD and Samsung sends people out if you have a problem and if they cant get it they will ship you a new one or give your money back within a year of purchase, or just get the extended warranty from your local retailer. Nothing but good things though, but besides the auto shut off but that has been fixed so hope this helps kind of long lol

Collapse -
Decided on the LN52A550
by Georgia in MS / July 2, 2008 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Here is which one

I, too, have read and read and read till I cannot waste any more time on it. There seem to be so many people that complain about this or that of the 650 and 750, I just backed down and went with the 550. The 550 gets excellent reviews. The main thing about the 550 (or any, I guess) is they have to be calibrated. The AVS forums all have calibration threads.

Supposedly the sound is awful on these sets from the factory. If you change the sound settings, this improves it alot.

I bought mine directly from Amazon with their white glove delivery - I saved $600 to $700 compared to if I had bought from CC or BB.

I verified my MasterCard has extended warranty as a benefit. So I used a cc to buy it so I would get an addl year's warranty rather than buying an extended warranty.

Mine will be delivered next week - so we'll see.

Collapse -
Correction to sound comment.
by Georgia in MS / July 2, 2008 5:18 AM PDT

Sound is not awful - just less than one would expect. But if you change the settings, it's much better.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.