Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Which router Netgear WNDR 4500 or Linksys E4200?

by Jonathan_N / October 20, 2011 6:55 AM PDT

I haven't seen any articles or threads on this topic. And my wrt54g is dying on me and Im looking for a new router. I have been looking at the Netgear WNDR4500 and the Linksys E4200. I like them both because they have a built in media server. and USB ports. because I have a ps3 so I can stream movies and songs. I would like to know which one works better streaming things like HD to my ps3.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Clarification Request
RE
by Jonathan_N / October 21, 2011 2:18 AM PDT

I've tried to look everywhere for this but no one seems to know. i've posted on other forums too. Is it because the WNDR4500 is fairly new?

Collapse -
Netgear vs Linksys
by mopscare42 / October 21, 2011 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

It looks like both routers are about equal in specs. I don't personnaly know anyone with either router, but From my experience the Linksys routers seem to have more heat problems and need resetting often just to keep good speeds.
Some say it's the flat design of the linksys that won't let them dissipate the heat. I know they run hot just by touching them.
The Netgear routers stand vertical and never have heat or need to re-set issues.
I have replaced Linksys routers with Netgear models WNR3500, WNDR3700 and the WNDR37AV and never get called back. I wouldn't think the WNDR 4500 would be any different.
I prefer Netgear because of the design and over the years I have never had a problem with Neatgear, but can't say the same for Linksys.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!