Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

which program to download torrent files?

hi all,

i am new to the Torrents downloading experience. i had been using Mu Torrent 1.8.1 (or U Torrent as it is also called) barely a month ago.
however, i noticed that the AVG 8.0 email scanner often showed a pop-up window - "connecting to 59.60.149.118" and a few moments later
the message "client connected".
this later turned out to be a piece of tracking / monitoring malware based out of China!

so , i have since uninstalled this Mu / U Torrent and have no idea which downloader program to use !! can someone please suggest which
ones are reliable ? And where to download them from?

thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which program to download torrent files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which program to download torrent files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm NOT Sure ANY Such Critter Exists....

In reply to: which program to download torrent files?

the major problems w/ any of this type of program are:
Even if the program is good, it depends on every other possible file provider's machines & files for upload/download being squeaky clean.
EXTREMELY unlikely!

You're allowing others you do not know,worldwide(see above) basically straight in access to your machine.

That is why no reputable security site will recommend such & many require removal of such before even offering help via HJT or otherwise.

Good Luck & have clean back-ups of whole system stored safely off your machine for future need. Happy

Collapse -
so what to do then ?

In reply to: I'm NOT Sure ANY Such Critter Exists....

hey thanks,

but what to do about monitoring software such as those that will steal your keystrokes to find out about your credit card details, or your email details ?

will using an anti malware like MBam etc help ?

should i then shift over to a superior quality paid anti virus like Bit Defender instead of the free AVG 8.0 that i am using right now?

any specific program that will at least allow me respite from this tracker outside of China ?

thanks

Collapse -
YES!

In reply to: so what to do then ?

Get rid of the torrent software!

As has been noted several times simply by using torrent software you are opening up your computer to any other torrent software user who happens along because that is how torrents are designed to work - what you download comes in bits and peices from other torrent users who are active and who have the requisite bits and pieces available to you and your computer provides them with what you have that they are wanting.

re: will using an anti malware like MBam etc help ?

should i then shift over to a superior quality paid anti virus like Bit Defender instead of the free AVG 8.0 that i am using right now?

any specific program that will at least allow me respite from this tracker outside of China ?

If your left arm has gangrene (the torrent client) changing the fabric and color of a blove from white cotton to black leather (the malware detectors and anti-virus apps) won't help at all -- you have to treat then get rid of the gangrene.

Collapse -
but which torrent client then ?

In reply to: YES!

thanks, got the point.

but are you suggesting that i quit using the torrent downloads completely? or only Mu torrent which is causing a problem?

cos i do want to keep downloading stuff. so wihch alternate torrent client do you suggest ?

thanks

Collapse -
i think you are missing the point

In reply to: but which torrent client then ?

ALL P2P programs (emule/bit torrent etc) leave you open to infection!

it can be an annoying pop-up or a trojan that will send your personal information to people you REALLY don't want to know

so, choose any program you want, but

BE AWARE OF THE DANGERS INVOLVED

jonah

Collapse -
arctic torrent

In reply to: i think you are missing the point

ok jonah !

no pain no gain Happy am going to use this light weight client called "Arctic Torrent" !

Collapse -
Will make no difference ...

In reply to: arctic torrent

The problem is NOT with whichever torrent program you may use, but the files that you are downloading with it.

If you were to download the same torrents with "Arctic Torrrent", as you did previously with uTorrent, the result would be the same. You're at the mercy of the person creating the torrent, and will receive whatever malware he/she chooses to package alongside the files the torrent is for.

At any rate, such discussion is against forum rules, and as such, this thread should be locked to prevent further comments.

Collapse -
Locking this thread for

In reply to: which program to download torrent files?

violation of forum policies.

"Piracy or unlawful activities

This community forum is a place for ideas and constructive participation, and not a place to violate any laws or to discuss illegal activities. This type of activity includes, but is not limited to, advocating or asking for information regarding software piracy or unauthorized emulators of software or hardware, sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems. Please refrain from posting this kind of message."

http://forums.cnet.com/4520-6035-6656401.html

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.