Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Which program do I buy? So confused ..

by bakkabyond-25476798176485932355943440581495 / October 6, 2013 8:59 AM PDT

I have an unregistered version of Windows XP on my computer which I had built for me (long story!). I want to upgrade to Windows 7 but I don't know which program to choose .. there are so many options and I am totally confused! Any help would be very much appreciated.

bakkabyond-25476798176485932355943440581495 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which program do I buy? So confused ..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which program do I buy? So confused ..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by bakkabyond-25476798176485932355943440581495

Collapse -
There is no upgrade available.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2013 9:34 AM PDT

The upgrades use a prior license and since there are none you need the full version.

For price, most can get by with Windows 7 Home Premium. Here's one at newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Bear in mind I will not discuss license issues. I suggest we don't ask, don't tell and say you bought it with the PC.

Next you'll find out you need Windows 7 drivers for the rest of your PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows 7 drivers
by bakkabyond-25476798176485932355943440581495 / October 6, 2013 10:43 AM PDT

Thanks Bob. So I will need to do a complete install of Windows 7, then will it prompt me to download the relevant drivers or will it simply not work because I don't have the drivers? Am I better to try to buy a license for Windows XP and forget about Windows 7? I would be happy to ignore the whole problem altogether but I am having issues with my programs and I believe it may have something to do with updates not being installed.

Collapse -
Yes to the full install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2013 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 drivers

There is no upgrade path from XP to 7. As to drivers, even in Windows 8 drivers are the same old story as it has been for over a decade. You install the OS then drivers per your maker's instructions.
Bob

Collapse -
Drivers .. still not clear
by bakkabyond-25476798176485932355943440581495 / October 6, 2013 12:15 PM PDT

Sorry Bob, perhaps my question wasn't clear. So I install windows 7 first. No problem. Then will my mouse and keyboard and other hardware work so that I have access to the internet to download the correct drivers? My computer came fully installed with the operating system and drivers, etc. I do not have any discs for the operating system or driver CDs for the hardware. If I am to update the drivers I will need to download them from the internet. My question therefore is, after I have installed windows 7, do I need the driver CDs or will everything work ok so I can download them from the internet?

Collapse -
Before installing a new OS, you must get drivers FIRST
by wpgwpg / October 6, 2013 12:25 PM PDT

Do not attempt to install a new operating system until you've FIRST obtained the drivers you will need. For these go to your computer manufacturer's web site. Since you neglected to mention this detail in spite of having it flashed in your face when you posted, we can't be more specific.
When you install Windows, your mouse and keyboard will almost certainly work. So will your monitor and hard drive. However getting on the Internet is a different matter. That will work if and only if you have a driver for your network adapter installed. That is why it is imperative that you download and save all your drivers and helper apps prior to installing any new OS.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you

Ok, thanks Bob. Obviously this is not something I can tackle myself as clearly I have no idea what I am doing. I also should not have purchased a computer from a (qualified, registered computer tech) mate who was doing me a favour ... the favour has now turned into a nightmare. Live and learn I guess.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!