Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Which Processor?

by cattluvver / November 1, 2009 2:42 AM PST

I really needed to get a new computer six months ago, but money... well you know. Now I pray each day that my computer starts. I have some ideas on what I'm getting, but the one thing that has changes so very much since I got this five years ago are the many processors! It was just Pentium and an other or so before and now... good grief. I know I'm getting 4 Megs of RAM, but can anyone tell me the best processors and/or the differences? I thank you.

Lori

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
For what will you be using the computer?
by Porch-a-Geese / November 1, 2009 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Which Processor?

ASk yourself this first then look for one which will be best for those types of applications.
Compiling and graphics rendering benefit from multiple cores and processors.

Collapse -
Running..
by cattluvver / November 1, 2009 3:50 AM PST

I hate when the message doesn't post! Anyway, sorry for not posting that. I have an illness that makes it hard for me to remember things (Fibromyalgia), so please bear with me.. I was SO good at computers before. I've forgotten a lot. sigh.. Anyway, I don't do gaming, but I watch videos, do music downloads, copy to my mp3 player, do photos, just regular things on the Internet, but I like having 7 tabs open and having mail open so I need the RAM. I want to get a computer that has Windows 7 on it. (not sure if I posted that).

I just found out that this computer has AMD Athelon on it, so I'm leaning there a lot. Does this come with 4 GIGS? I can't believe I'm trying to work on one with 446 MEGS!

Thanks!

Collapse -
Start with the basics
by Porch-a-Geese / November 1, 2009 5:27 AM PST
In reply to: Running..

1) Work within your income.
2) You will benefit from multiple processors.
3) Get a graphics card instead of using the integrated and have 128M as the minimum memory installed on the card. As far as performance goes. I have an integrated ATI and an Nvidia PCIe, both are good but the nvidia cuts down on CPU use.
4) Get a PCI sound card. One has memory- Xfi- but any PCI type will cut down on CPU use.
5) No matter what system you get, learn to secure it.

My aunt has fibromyalgia and it had and still causes her trouble. Don't worry, I understand.

Collapse -
Thanks, But I'm Confused About One Thing..
by cattluvver / November 1, 2009 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: Start with the basics

Thanks for your ideas and things, I'll print this out. However, I'm not sure what you mean by, "You will benefit from multiple processors". That is what I'm asking.. what ones are the best.. should I go with the AMD Athelon like I'm feeling I should?

I will need it soon since this one decided to fall apart fast and I can't even backup things right now (sigh).

Collapse -
Graphics rendering and other multimedia applications
by Porch-a-Geese / November 1, 2009 6:56 AM PST

are CPU intensive and can take up to 90% of the CPU's ability even with hyper-threading. Think of a processor core as a horse. The more horses to pull the cart, the easier the load on each horse and the more that the cart can handle.
Or you can compare it to vehicles. Think of the difference in load between a unicycle and a car. Audio programs aren't too intensive. Add a graphics or video program and this changes. An extra core or two won't hurt.
Calm down with worrying about backing up. Take time to do that and start with the most important things first. The machine is salvageable; however, you can learn the skills to keep the machine handy later.

My preferences for CPU's are based upon this: Can it run Linux? Can it run Free BSD? Can it run Net BSD? Can it run Open BSD?
You need to base your purchase upon the system that you will be using and the performance. Use Google to search for benchmark tests for the CPU you wish to have.
Take this one sentence and step at a time.
I.e. Make your own decision but make an informed one first. I'm not a salesman.

Collapse -
Which Processor
by stormsniper / November 1, 2009 9:16 AM PST

First of all I want to ask you a question. Are u trying to ugrade your old PC or just need complete new one? I u are lookinf for some part to upgrade your old PC I don't think u able to do it because PC technology change a lot in a few years. If u are trying to buy new one or try to build the new PC
1. If you want to buy then just go to computer store and ask the seller they will tell you what is the lasted PC Tech.
2. if u want to build one for your sell then u need to consider how much u want to spend and what kind of computer do u expect to get. for PC which Daily use just go for 500 buck or less. For Gamer then u need to do a little reasearch on 2 big grpahic card Chip maker (ATI and Nividia) and which one do u favor more. After consider Graphic card and now u need to consider what kind of CPU do u really Want? AMD or Intel. (what different between both of them u need to do research by yourself) it's very hard to explain for you to under stand if u don't have some basice knowledge on them. After that there are fews famous motherboard maker ( Asus, Gigabute, MSI). if u want to get more information about them then just go to those motherboard maker webisite and read more about their product. After you do all the research then u will know what kind of computer u expect to get.

Collapse -
Pretty much whatever
by Jimmy Greystone / November 1, 2009 9:51 AM PST

Pretty much whatever will work for you given the tasks you describe. Personally I'd recommend staying away from the Pentium D or Pentium Dual Core (same thing) just because they give very little in the way of bang for the buck.

But any Core 2 Duo or Athlon64 system will do you just fine.

Of course there's always a chance that your current system is salvageable, so why not make a separate thread about what exactly is going on with it? It's entirely possible you don't really need a new system, you just need to clear out some pests from the current one.

Collapse -
Simple Answer
by FixItRepair / November 1, 2009 5:40 PM PST
In reply to: Pretty much whatever

All of these answers are not helping you at all, they are asking you more questions that are definitely not needed to be asked!

You want a user-friendly processor! Just stick with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. If you are purchasing this computer from best buy just tell them you want something over 2.6GHz, and you want 4Gb of Memory. In your original post you said 4Mb of memory which is definitely not the same thing!!

If you are purchasing this processor alone to build your own computer, I would suggest getting a Intel Core 2 Duo E7400. That is all you need to know for your purposes, you don't need to get into what all the numbers mean or any of the specifics. You'll be set Happy No worries! Goodluck!

Collapse -
How exactly
by Jimmy Greystone / November 2, 2009 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: Simple Answer

How exactly is a processor "user friendly"? I must say I'm quite curious.

I also am wondering how your advice is fundamentally any different from what I said, when I said they could just get any Core 2 Duo or Athlon64 based system? Seems nearly identical to what you said in direct response to my post.

Collapse -
Offense
by FixItRepair / November 2, 2009 4:37 PM PST
In reply to: How exactly

Are you taking offense to my reply?

Please forgive my quick hand to quick the little "Reply" button that is on YOUR post, making it a direct reply to YOUR post.

Yes you said the same thing, you're right. By user friend I mean simple, and for the most part more well known than an AMD or even in i5/i7.

I really don't see why this has to turn into some sort of wicked backward flame war, where we both agree on the same thing and need to find a reason to fight about it.

I consider an Intel Core 2 Duo to be more "user friendly" than an AMD Athlon X2 64, simply because "Core 2 Duo" is easier to take in for end users. Now go be a jerk to someone who actually cares about you.

Collapse -
Defense.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2009 8:54 PM PST
In reply to: How exactly

I too was taken aback that a CPU could be user friendly. After some thought I think that this is more of a CONSUMER issue where the ADVERTISING helps the consumers FEEL BETTER about the choices.

Next thing you know, consumers may want more advertising.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!