PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Which Processor?

by yankees26 / October 29, 2005 7:04 AM PDT

Which processor would be a better choice: an Intel Celeron D 3.06GHz w/256KB L2 Cache or an Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz w/1MB L2 Cache (not a hyperthreading model)?
Main use is surfing the internet, word processing, and only one game (Civilization 4).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Processor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Processor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Pentium 4
by jackintucson / October 29, 2005 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Which Processor?
Collapse -
Celeron D...
by ozos / October 29, 2005 8:31 AM PDT

it's a tough call, but the Celeron D would most likely perform better

I'm guessing your comparing a 2.4A (i can basically gurantee that...) to a 3.06, so both are Prescott 90nm
and your speed difference there is huge, no HT is shown

it's a tough call, really is
i'd go for whichever is cheaper/includes a fan or some other benefit you like, such as free shipping, or a longer warranty (Intel will give 3 year warranty on everything retail boxed (CPU's), but if the retailer has an extended for one that's free or something)

idk, i'm thinking that Celeron D would be vastly superior
but it's not an easy call

http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html?modelx=33&model1=21&model2=42&chart=14
that's a Celeron D 2.8GHZ and a P4 Northwood 2.4
that 2.4 P4 is gonna be slower than that P4 on THG's page, as Prescott is terrible vs same speed Northwoods in the sub-3GHZ range

and that Celeron D isn't as fast as the 3.06
obviously

Collapse -
Pentium 4
by linkit / October 29, 2005 8:39 AM PDT

I'd go with the Pentium 4, also. Either one will get the job done. Too bad it's 2.4A. 2.4C is a nice overclocker but more expensive.

-pirates5 (1960 was particularly enjoyable)

Collapse -
um, the 2.4A...
by ozos / October 29, 2005 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Pentium 4

is a great overclocker
but i'm doubting he's into OC'ing if he's questioning that

also, the Cel D is an AMAZING overclocker as well

Collapse -
agreed
by linkit / October 29, 2005 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: um, the 2.4A...

Have read about OC'ing the 2.4A and Celeron D, never did it though.
OC'd the 2.4C --fun, fun.

My bad: I didn't mean to imply that the 2.4A and Celeron D aren't good OC'ers. It would have been better for me to write that the 2.4C is a better processor in general (800MHz FSB, HT) and that it is a good overclocker. I thought that Yankees26 may heve seen the 2.4C because he did mention that he was considering the 2.4GHz CPU without HT.

OC: Ya' never know about budding OC'ers, if they are willing to build cheap to save money, the next step to OC'ing may not be far off. The consideration was on the table for Yankees26 to take it or leave it.

Collapse -
L2 cache..
by jackintucson / October 30, 2005 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: agreed

The P4 has 1mb of L2 cache whereas the C-D has only 256K. This would provide better throughput thus edging out the Celeron. Better I/O numbers I believe.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
P4
by pcguru4u / October 30, 2005 11:52 AM PST

Cache has a lot to do with speed as it stores often retrieved data and more is better. Generally, the Celeron models are bumped down versions of P4's to appeal for the budget consumer market (although they dont stack up too well against the AMD Sempron eqivalent)

Collapse -
Which Processor?
by alkeyser / October 30, 2005 2:36 PM PST

It all depends on what type of activities you do.
For surfing Internet, Email and World processing you are not going to see much difference because
these type of activities do not require much of processing power. If you planning to play some games, I would recommend Pentium 4, because it has 1MB of L2 cache, which is more important for games, multitasking and overall performance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?