Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Which Player?

Please help. I would like an 8GB player with just the basic features. Voice and inline recording, viewing videos, using while exercising, games, files other than MP3, are all not necessary for me.

What I do want is to be able to just drag and drop my 8GB of MP3's from the computer to the player, without having to use any other software, not even Windows Media Player. And no bother with playlists either.

And a "resume" feature, so if I turn the player off after song 81, the next time I turn the player back on it starts at song 82, instead of going back to the beginning.

Does such an MP3 player exist?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also:

In reply to: Which Player?

At least 8GB, it can be more.
It should be able to store at least 2550 songs.

Collapse -
mp3 players of that capacity

Will have some/many of the features you deem unnecessary. That said, you don't have to use them.

I would probably suggest one of the newer Sony Walkman mp3 players from this year or even last year if you can find them. They don't have that many features. They play mp3s and video as well as display pictures. Some of them have fm radio, but not all of them. They sound great and have phenomenal battery life. And it does have the resume feature that you're looking for (as do many mp3 players), as long as you don't expect it to pick up where you've left off after you've hooked it back up to the computer to add more songs.

I have a 4GB Sony NWZ-A816 from last year. I didn't even bother to use the cd that came with it. I just plugged it into my computer and did the drag and drop thing.

8GB might be cutting it close for your collection. You'll actually have a little less than that for usuable space. The next size up flash based player is 16GB. Or you can get an 8GB player with SD card expansion capability. Unfortunately, the Sonys don't have that feature.

Collapse -
Newer Sony Walkmen

In reply to: mp3 players of that capacity

I will look into them. Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
cowon d2

I own the Cowon D2, its the second cowon device I have purchased. There is model with 8GB on board, and its expandable. The best part is that you do not need any special software to drag and drop. Cowons get very good reviews for their sound quality. I could not compare since I do not listen to other mp3 players and I traded up to $100 ear buds.

The D2 has configurable resume and even playback speed control.

Good luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.