Phones forum

General discussion

Which phones (not iphone) play video podcasts?

by Indranic / March 30, 2009 2:28 AM PDT

Hi all, I'm looking for a phone which has a proven track record of playing most of the popular iPod/iPhone formatted video podcasts available on iTunes - you know the H.264/AAC ones. No, I can't buy an iPhone coz I live in India where it's insanely expensive. I've been using a Windows Mobile 5 device for sometime now and I need to change to another phone ASAP. I've checked online and the Nokia N series is not very good at this apparently. CorePlayer on Windows mobile can't do this either. I also don't want to convert them coz I'll probably subscribe to 8 or 10 podcasts so that will be a pain.

Anyone who's faced this before and found something? Anything?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which phones (not iphone) play video podcasts?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which phones (not iphone) play video podcasts?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your marriage to iTunes is the issue
by Pepe7 / March 31, 2009 3:07 AM PDT

Step away from protected AAC content and other free software options exist for you on your WM5 handset. I'd pop over to XDA forums where you can glean more granular level info on what possibilities exist for your specific WM handset. That place has an amazing amount of information if you can find the time to read through the forums and search. Here's the URL-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

hth,
Pedro

Collapse -
Not really
by Indranic / March 31, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

Thanks for the tip on XDA developers, been visiting that site since ages to be honest. The real issue is that some of the best Video podcasts on the internet are designed for Apple products (grrrr). I've been playing AAC enhanced podcasts on CorePlayer on WM for some time now with some success - BBC AAC enhanced podcasts play fine but the Lost podcast from Jay and Jack just won't play - for example.

I need to change my phone soon and I've been on WM5 for 2 years now and it is just not letting me enjoy some of the best content out there for mobile devices. The new phones from HTC etc are not adding any format support either. The Nokia N series loves it's RealPlayer too much so it's formats are limited as well.

If only I could use Miro (getmire.com) to download my video podcasts and sync that folder to a mobile device that supports some of the most common video podcasts out there (apart from iPhone) that would be great.

Collapse -
newsbreak 2.0?
by Pepe7 / March 31, 2009 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really

It sounds like I may have simply had back luck then with the particular AAC streams I tried unsuccessfully ;(.

Did you try the same podcasts w/ Newsbreak 2.0 yet? I heard that mentioned once as a possibility to download & play. Or maybe you do have to convert to simple MPEG instead for it to work(?)
http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/nw/nb_ss.php

-Pedro

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?