Phones forum

General discussion

Which phone would you prefer?

Hi. Im in need of a new phone.

Here are my choices so far.

Sony Ericson p1i.

Blackberry Curve.

N95.

I saw the n95's review and i guess im a bit disappointed. I might not get it. Ive heard a bundle of great stuff for blackberry curve but heard nothing for Sony Ericson p1i; which, i originally had wanted.

Please help..

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which phone would you prefer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which phone would you prefer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
very subjective; more info needed from you

In reply to: Which phone would you prefer?

It's really hard to recommend a phone w/o knowing what you will be doing with it ;). What are your preferences in a handset? What sort of task do you expect to be functional on a handset? For example, what exactly about the N95/threw your off?

cheers,
Pedro

Collapse -
Pros and cons..

In reply to: very subjective; more info needed from you

Well.. Its very hard to say. Im not too well informed with tech stuff. I was looking at some reviews to get a broad idea which one i would like. I am not too sure what phone to get really.

Maybe my real question would be what phone would be suitable for me thats a bit high end and stylish. So whats the best phone currently in the market?

I really like the phone sony ericson p1i but i guess its kinda hard to find it in the us. And i was browsing if you guys have any reviews for it to see if its a good phone..

please help. i know its really vague..

Collapse -
what do you need to do with the phone mostly?

In reply to: Pros and cons..

Surf the web? Send SMS? Type email messages? Just for talking? Do you prefer a touch screen over a keyboard? This is what I was really asking ;). How can we possibly help other than in the very most general terms w/o knowing at least a *little* about what you want/need(?)

Regarding the p1, AFAIK there's no North American version yet, which means it would be quite limited in its usefulness here at least. If that's not an issue, at least it has UMTS 2100 MHz so you can talk across the pond ;).

-Pedro

Collapse -
No preference actually

In reply to: what do you need to do with the phone mostly?

This might sound kinda funny but lemme see..
I mostly talk on the phone and send sms a LOT.. would like mms and a nice camera to it too.. no preference between a keyboard and a touchscreen.. better if both.. i love listening to music so i need either a nice music player on it or maybe something i could listen to youtube or whatnot.. not too particular about emailing but it would be an added bonus.. i would like something that looks very classy and cool (i guess?) i dont like it too big hopefully like basic applications are there.. like alarm clock.. calculator.. or what not.. ALso.. ONE VERY important thing i want to point out. Im not too carefull with my stuff sometimes so i need something kinda durable.. or not i might just have to get something to protect it with..

The reason why i was so interested with the SE P1i is coz my friend has it and so far i have heard great things about it and it kinda has the features i would need. and its like $550 more or less.. I dont mind spending the money per say but i want to get my moneys worth.. you know..

THanks for helping me out.. This is somewhat stressin me out.. lol..

Collapse -
iphone

In reply to: No preference actually

if your not worried about the price just go with an iphone it blows all these phones out the water. its great for text messaging has the best cell phone- mp3 player union. excellent camera just no video. the glass front is durable when it comes to scratches but you might want to buy something to protect it from dropping. it has email which as you said is an added bonus. and its thinner than a razr, a major upgrade over the sidekick 3. and sense your coming from a sidekick you will be used to the full QWERTY keyboard.

Collapse -
iPhone

In reply to: iphone

Headbusta - has Apple ressolved its problems with 3G? I was told last week that most people were still getting only 2G on it, but that at least it had everything to make it a monster (in a good way) once it got 3G fully up and operating for all. Your thoughts???

Collapse -
where are you located?

In reply to: iPhone

Some areas are faring worse with their 3G network. YMMV. Yes, a lot of iPhone users are only seeing reliable EDGE currently, but some are very satisfied. I'd be wary since the data plan is quite expensive and you are locked into a contract for 2 yrs w/ ATT.

Howardforums would be a great place for you to see if anyone else in your zip code is having decent luck w/ the iPhone.

Collapse -
where are you located?

In reply to: where are you located?

thanks for the "howardforums". i'll check them out and that should answer my question. thanks again.

Collapse -
*SIgh*

In reply to: iPhone

Please ignore iPhone fanboys.

If you're coming from a Sidekick 3, I assume you will want a pretty nice keyboard. iPhone is a no go. Also, if you want something sleek, stylish, and powerful with a great camera + QWERTY keyboard, I would wait a bit for the Blackberry Bold for AT&T.

Just my opinion, but going from the SK3 Keyboard -> an iPhone keyboard could lead to some major regret.

Collapse -
Part Deux - iPhone

In reply to: iphone

I meant to add "thanks, in advance".

Collapse -
friend

In reply to: No preference actually

who's your friends carrier, btw? He's missing out by using it in the U.S. since it doesn't work with our 3G.

Collapse -
Phone preference

In reply to: Which phone would you prefer?

Since I see you have the Nokia as one of your choices for phones; it's clear what you want in a phone. I had an I-phone & had nothing but problems with it. I went to AT&T a month ago & they let me upgrade early & also gave me the rebate on the phone I wanted.

I had just been to the mall & was talking to a salesman at a kiosk in the mall. He told me that he had been having the same reception problems that I was talking about. He knew what all I wanted a phone; so he showed me his. It was the Blackberry Curve. There are so many people that are so quick to blame the reception problems with the I-phone on AT&T.

Well; I'm here to tell the truth. I have the red Blackberry Curve & I have NO reception problems now. The places that the I-phone wouldn't pick up at, my Curve does. Everyone loves it. But the main thing that matters is that I love it. Don't let people tell you you need to wait for the Bold; because the internet speed on this phone is fine. I have computers if I want to get into some serious gaming or anything else.

The bottom line is this phone is the real deal. And the battery life on mine lasts longer than what they say it does. I do alot of reading on phones & other electronic devices. And I'm being honest when I tell you that you will absolutely love the "CURVE".

Collapse -
Not a fair comparison per se

In reply to: Phone preference

The curve is not a 3G device, so it's not fair to compare a 3G iPhone with that particular handset. Agreed regarding coverage issues, FWIW. It's not *always* the network's fault (but in this case, has a heck of a lot to do with things!)

cheers,
Pedro

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.