HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

Which phone to buy?

by iGambiT / September 4, 2008 2:19 PM PDT

So I'm looking for a new phone to buy. The carrier doesn't matter to much but any info you have on carriers like if they have good service or anything that would be helpful would be great. I was looking at the LG Vu and it seems like it is a good phone but I have been reading a lot of mixed reviews so I don't know. I've already looked at the iPhone 3G but something about it just doesn't really appeal to me. So any suggestions on which phone is good would be really great thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which phone to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which phone to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pick a carrier first, then choose a handset
by Pepe7 / September 5, 2008 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Which phone to buy?

This is paramount, since coverage still varies widely in the U.S.- even from street to street in dense urban areas. YMMV. As you probably already know, a shiny new 3G phone does little good if the network isn't adequate where you use the service ;).

It would be helpful to know where you live/where you plan on using the phone the most. Even a zip code works. Will you be travelling to specific locations in the U.S. or abroad(?) GSM carriers are *generally* not as reliable in the western half of the U.S. once you are off the major highways and cities. For that reason you might choose a CDMA/EVDO carrier such as Verizon or US Cellular. If you are sticking to major metropolitan areas you have better options; a GSM carrier might be better if you plan on using the phone outside the U.S. Again, help us help you by providing more of your needs. Keep in mind some carriers, such as US Cellular, don't provide street level coverage so that might hinder you somewhat.

FWIW, another site for useful wireless info (plenty of reading, mind you) is howardforums.com

hth,
Pedro

Collapse -
My Area
by iGambiT / September 5, 2008 10:26 AM PDT

Well I live in Las Vegas, Neveda. I don't travel to other countries except Mexico but that is once a year and when I do go there I dont really want anybody calling me since Im there to visit family. For carriers Ive been leaning towards Verizon and AT&T cause Ive heard that they have good service here in my area by friends that have those carriers. I right now have Sprint and it works pretty well here no complaints but I have heard T-Mobile is kinda bad here.

Collapse -
Sprint will be cheaper...
by Pepe7 / September 8, 2008 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: My Area

..but generally won't have the nicest phone selection vs. ATT or Verizon. ATT/Verizon are the more expensive carriers, FWIW. If you are happy with Spring service you might see what sort of retention deals they would offer for signing a new contract that gives you a new handset. Is there anything you like w/ Sprint now?

-Pedro

Collapse -
Sprint
by iGambiT / September 8, 2008 6:01 AM PDT

They have a good service which I like but its the same as when I had Verizon a few years ago. But in the phone selection I looked and there wasnt really something I liked.

Collapse -
So you're a touch screen fanatic??
by Lucille14 / September 8, 2008 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Which phone to buy?

Carrier battle aside, it sounds like you're looking at spending some big money on the hot new phones out there. I just bought the LG Dare for my birthday, and it's great. Everything you hear about it in the reviews is pretty much accurate regarding the interface being something you'll be really familiar with but your friends being lost when looking to do stuff. And it's great to have an all in one device that can record pics, vids, and with my expansion card, hold 8GB of music.

Another great touch screen phones are the Voyager that my sister has (also Verizon). Other than being a bit clunky, it's much more intuitive than something like the Dare.

Despite it's great service, I'm consider changing to ATT from Verizon. It keeps its phones so locked down that the iPhone is something we'd never see. To run even the most basic game you have to pay $8. Not to mention they rarely get the latest phones. I'd look more at ATT if you're looking for cutting edge phones.

What do you think about smart phones??

Collapse -
Smart phones
by iGambiT / September 8, 2008 5:54 AM PDT

No, the phone doesnt have to a touch screen I was just considering the LG Vu cause it seems like a good phone. But I've heard to many mixed reviewa that I'm unsure of it. I was looking at smart phones to see which ones I liked and the the Blackberry Curve and the Tilt from AT&T caught my attention. They seem to me anyways to be some of the better smartphones out right now. The only thing I dont like about the Tilt is that it is big.

Collapse -
The Tilt is nice, but...
by Pepe7 / September 8, 2008 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Smart phones

...I wouldn't recommend it unless you are dead set on learning WM6 and all the 'tweaks' needed to get the phone to perform adequately. Indeed- it is a bit of a brick. I've had my refurb since February. It's essentially a 'swiss army knife' of connectivity, but not without it's peculiarities. I am looking at the XPERIA X1 as a possible replacement (when it finally arrives) since it has better screen resolution.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Tilt
by iGambiT / September 9, 2008 1:11 PM PDT

The only bad thing I've heard of the WM6 is that it will freeze up on you like a computer. I saw the Tilt a day ago I played around with it bit and it didnt seem as big as people would describe it to be but still a little thick but not that bad. Is the WM6 the only problem you had with Tilt?

Collapse -
some soft resets are necessary w/ WM6
by Pepe7 / September 10, 2008 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Tilt

Yes, that's the only real problem I've had. Everything else was as simply as upgrading or re-installing various things, and getting the correct configuration/settings from either Google or XDA forums. A soft reset (think, reboot) solves 99.9% of most freezups. To be honest, the less programs you install, the less issues you will have IMO. Moving away from the stock ATT ROM also can speed up the Tilt. If you peruse the XDA forums regarding the Kaiser/Tytyn II you will soon discover how moldable this little piece of clay called the Tilt really is ;). I ended up going back to the ATT ROM and starting installing programs on a 4GB trans flash card which helped free up additional onboard memory. Now I only do a soft reset every other week vs. nearly every day. YMMV, depending on how you manipulate the device. FWIW, two of my fave customizations are the HTC Home customizer (HHC) and S2U2 (slide to unlock).

-Pedro

Collapse -
phones
by iGambiT / September 13, 2008 2:25 PM PDT

That doesn't seem to bad I guess. But I've found phones I have liked for each carrier.
Verizon- The LG Dare and possible the Voyager
AT&T- The LG Vu and the Tilt
Sprint- The Instinct
T-Mobile- The Blackberry Curve or maybe the sidekick idk.
But can anyone give me an idea for which would be the overall better choice in both phone and carrier.

Collapse -
Also, read my earlier reply in this thread
by Pepe7 / September 15, 2008 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: phones

WM6 is a bit sluggish. GSM is generally better in cities and not as reliable off the beaten path in the Western U.S. T-Mobile coverage is even more limited. You can use these three, along with a personal test of your own using a phone you like of the below choices where you live. That's the only way to really find out. Use the Verizon trial period wisely ;).

hth,
Pedro

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.