Windows 98
Windows 98SE
Windows 2000
Windows Me
Windows XP Pro
Windows XP Home
I don't use Windows

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which operating system do you use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which operating system do you use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows 2000 SP4
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 11:36 PM PDT

Is still the largest percentage between office and home.

If you must ask. "It's the money."

We don't use IE much so that takes care of most of the security issues.

Bob

Collapse -
Interesting...You assume a single operating system!
by John.Wilkinson / August 24, 2006 5:31 AM PDT

My primary OS, on multiple machines, is Windows XP Professional SP2. Why?
* Windows is the most widely used and supported operating system.
* Almost all of the software I used is specifically designed for Windows XP.
* Windows XP is the most recent, stable release of Windows.
* Windows XP professional provides me with more advanced networking and EFS.
* I receive multiple licenses to XP Professional for free through my employment.

I also use other operating systems:

* Windows Vista: Free beta licenses enabling me to become acquainted with the new operating system before it is released. That is a necessity so that I am prepared to deal with it and help others at the time of its release.

* Windows 2000: Some systems have not been upgraded for various reasons, and the OS is still a valid option for regular use.

* Ubuntu and Knoppix: Two of the more popular free Linux distros. The fact that they support booting from CD is a huge benefit, allowing you to browse the system's hard drive when the installed OS won't boot.

* Other operating systems, including Windows 95/98/ME and Mac OS X, as I encounter them. I don't run them on my computers, but I do use them occasionally when working on someone else's computer.

In short, the operative missing from the original question is most:
''Which operating system do you use [most]?''

John

Collapse -
download problems
by lirumbu / August 24, 2006 5:52 AM PDT

i,m lirumbu my computer have windows xp home i dit download this afternoon but nothing happen please can you help me please another?

Collapse -
I don't understand...
by John.Wilkinson / August 24, 2006 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: download problems

* What did you download?
* Where did you download it from?
* What was supposed to happen?

Right now there are far too few details, with the only thing known being that you run Windows XP Home.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 2x XPH, 1x XPP & 2x Mac.
by udayan71 / August 24, 2006 6:23 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?