General discussion

Which One To Choose?

i am getting spyware and adware increases every day even with free SB S&D, Adaware, Registry Mechanic. if i upgrade to the paid version, which one might be the best to choose? thanks for any help.
zwoman

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Which One To Choose?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Which One To Choose?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hi zwoman

Before you start spending money, try using these free blockers along with the scanners that you are already using. I was amazed at the difference just by installing SpywareBlaster.

SpywareBlaster (a blocker only, download it, check for updates, enable it and leave it alone except for checking for updates occasionally)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

SpywareGuard (similiar to SpywareBlaster but works in a different way and does not update as often for that reason.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html

- Collapse -
Thanks

i have Spyware Blaster, will try Spy guard to see if that helps. this am i had 98 hits with registry mechanic but can't fix them unless i upgrade. SB S&D comes up with 1 DSO exploit and that shows up every scan, Adaware shows nothing and Norton AV shows no infected files.
zwoman

- Collapse -
The DSO Exploit can be fixed

by following the directions exactly on this. Make sure you do these in the correct order. That is a bug in Spybot which does not actually fix the problem when it says it does. There has been a beta fix released for it. Just download it on top of your current version. It will change your version to 1.3.1TX After you download it, run Spybot S&D, let it fix the exploit, then reboot and run it again. It should be gone, if not, just put it into ignore until Spybot comes out with a permanent fix for it which should be soon. I'm not sure if the rebooting is totally necessary but it seems to work better that way.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html

Also, please be careful at Major Geeks and do NOT click on the ads, make sure you click on the correct thing it's confusing there unless you are used to it. Click on one of the "download locations" near the top of the page and when it takes you to the next page, do NOT click on the ad there, just wait for the download dialog box to start. Also make sure that Spybot is closed when you do this download and installation. Once that is done, open Spybot up and follow my previous instructions.

CNET Forums

Forum Info