Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

which one is better? McAfee or WOT(Firefox extension)?

by Bue28 / August 10, 2008 10:34 AM PDT

McAfee SiteAdvisor or WOT?
I have difficulty choosing the better one, please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which one is better? McAfee or WOT(Firefox extension)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which one is better? McAfee or WOT(Firefox extension)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My experience...
by glenn30 / August 10, 2008 11:43 AM PDT

I have used McAfee SiteAdvisor for a long time and found it useful and trouble free... never used WOT and therefore unable to rate it.

There is another of these that is included in AVG 8 Free anti-virus. It also works well and seems to mesh well side by side with SiteAdvisor thus offering two opinions.

Bottom line is you probably will not go wrong with either of these. I will occasionally visit sites with a yellow rating but avoid like the plague those in the red category.

Glenn

Collapse -
SiteAdvisor/WOT
by JWD49 / October 9, 2008 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: My experience...

I use both together with no problems (Firefox, Mac Leopard). They each have their strengths, and sometimes disagree. If either gives me a red I avoid the site. WOT's warning extends to images searched on major search engines. There may be some privacy considerations, but from what I understand they don't store user-identifiable data. There are a lot of nasty sites out there folks, and they aren't all in the "adult" category. Many sites that purport to help with malware are actually sources for it.
There is further discussion here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=635509

Collapse -
Don't jump to conclusions with any site rating system
by techman157 / March 26, 2009 3:37 AM PDT

I've used McAfee for years and I am just starting to try WOT. The reason I'm trying something new is the high incidence of false or misleading "red" ratings with McAfee, and the lack of timely response to legitimate sites that protest the false positives. I ALWAYS read the McAfee site report on red sites and rarely find anything to get excited about. McAfee seems to use only their own software to check for trojans, etc., and as far as I can tell, doesn't verify the findings elsewhere. When I tried WOT a year or so ago. I wasn't that impressed, but I didn't hear any complaints about lack of response to false positives either. I'm hoping WOT has matured and wish McAfee would also.

Collapse -
WOT.McAfee Site Advisor
by phil66 / March 26, 2009 5:30 AM PDT

I have been using WOT for windows and Linux for about a year with no problems.

The lasted version of Site Advisor was nothing but problem after installing.

WOT has never lead me astray as far as site recommendations

Try it you will like it

Ray

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?