Laptops forum

General discussion

which one is best IBM / DELL / HP

by astrivedi / August 13, 2005 12:09 AM PDT

hi friends

I am looking for my first notebook. Well actually i want to buy my laptop for development work I mean i am a computer science student and i want to run all most all software package like java, .net , sql server etc. for that i have choose my cofig like more than 1.7 gh/512 mb ram / 40 gb hd/cd-dvd combo/15" screen and with Bluetooth facility. Now i am thinking on IBM t42 , HP pavilion dv4000 and dell 6000. But can't decide which one is better for my needs. I mostly not play any games on computer but yes i would like to play cd-dvds on laptop.
Will you please suggest me the best one .. or may I have to think on any other option as well.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which one is best IBM / DELL / HP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which one is best IBM / DELL / HP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Laptop
by hchavez / August 13, 2005 1:33 AM PDT

Isuggesta HP ZV 6000

Collapse -
oops
by hchavez / August 13, 2005 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop

i suggest a HP zv 6000

Collapse -
dv4000 or dv6000
by jmhal / August 14, 2005 2:37 PM PDT

I would recommend either the HP dv4000 or the HP dv 6000(not to be confused with the dell 6000). The dv4000 is going to give you much better batery life whereas the dv6000 has better graphics capabilities, not that the dv4000 has bad graphics but the dv6000 is definitely better. Also the 6000 has larger RAM capacity and is .13 inches thicker and 1+ pounds heavier. For convenience the dv4000 also has quick play so that you don't have to start windows to play music and movies.

Collapse -
hp dv 6000
by astrivedi / August 14, 2005 7:48 PM PDT
In reply to: dv4000 or dv6000

But which one is good as per performance be'z i want better performance than better graphics. be'z I want to run all developer tools on laptop not only games and movies.
Can any body say about IBM notebook also.

Collapse -
hp dv 4000
by jmhal / August 15, 2005 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: hp dv 6000

I would say that they have very similar performance when looking at the processors.The dv6000 however could run a bit faster than the dv4000 if you take advantage of the 2GB RAM capacity, but this can be pricey. Also if graphics isn't an issue the dv4000 would be a good choice because of its battery life. If you are willing to spend a bit more and sacrifice battery life and add a few pounds the dv6000 is great due to its RAM capacity, which would boost performance a bit, but only if you spend the extra money and upgrade to the 2GB. I would also reccomend the hp above over the IBM T42 because of performance and the HPs are a better deal.

Collapse -
Thinkpad
by Nooorm / August 16, 2005 8:35 AM PDT

Best Buy Award: Desktop replacement
ThinkPad T43
PC World
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005

Best Buy Award: All Purpose Notebook
ThinkPad R52
PC World
September 2005

You can get the specs you listed in any of the models you listed and the components used in all of them is more or less the same. So what makes them different...service, support, features, form, function & reliability. The Lenovo Thinkpads excell in all these areas.

Best keyboards.
Sturdy cases.
Great wireless set-up and performance.
Best notebook service & support.

The only thing I wish the Thinkpad had is firewire.

Collapse -
IBMs too expensive
by srikanth_janga / August 17, 2005 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Thinkpad

the IBMs are of excellent build and make quality, but they are too friggin expensive. I will buy an IBM some day i can afford and need it. I was a masters student, recently turned a software developer / network administrator and i use the compaq presario R4000 which is the twin to the HP ZV6000 in most respects. I will sugest the ZV6000 because performance is what you want. As for the graphics, you will get better graphics with the zv 6000 even if you don't want it. I use the R4000 for work to do Oracle application development and its extremely responsive. The only downside to it is that its heavier and generates a bit more heat than the centrinos. Even the issue of heat only arises when i do 3D gaming, otherwise, as long as you are working on flat surfaces, the computer is pretty silent and coolo wing to the fact that it has separate fans to cool the CPU and the RAM. Also remember that the dv4000 cannot go beyond 1 GB ram and I often find myself working with almost 800MB usage, and this is sure to go up. so the 1 GB barrier was not a good option for me. I am sure this is the case for you too as you are going to run SQL server etc. my guess is that you will need 2 GB ram on the zv 6000/ presario R4000. good luck.

Collapse -
thanks..
by astrivedi / August 17, 2005 9:19 PM PDT
In reply to: IBMs too expensive

As you write you would like to buy IBM when you can afford it , which one is best as per our use. I am also planning to use my laptop for all network and development work. I like to run oracle too if I can. What you suggest R 52 or to go for T42/ 43 series.

Collapse -
The only reason to chose T over R is...
by Nooorm / August 18, 2005 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks..

...to save on size and weight. If these are top of your requirements list, T's the best choice.

If you want the fastest mobile processor made, you'll have to get a T. But R definitely offers the best bang for the buck.

- Two $1300 Thinkpads -

Example:
ThinkPad R52 (Think Express Program) 18496VU
$1,299.00
Intel Centrino Mobile Technology
Intel

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?