HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Which of these programs are bloatware

by BrokenEye3 / February 23, 2014 7:07 AM PST

I'm pretty sure I don't use any of these, but I don't really trust my gut with the more obscure inner workings of computers so I decided it would be best to ask someone who'd know.

In case it matters, I'm using a Samsung laptop running Windows 7

Easy Content Share
Easy Display Manager
Easy Migration
Easy Network Manager
Easy Speedup Manager
Easy Battery Manager
EasyFileShare
ETDWare PS/2-X64 8.0.7.2_WHQL(x64)
Fast Start
I.R.I.S. OCR
IE Webrep plugin
Microsoft HPC Pack 2012 MS-MPI Redistributable Pack(x64)
Microsoft Windows Live ID Login Helper
Movie Color Enhancer
W2PBrowser Class
YInstHelper Module

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which of these programs are bloatware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which of these programs are bloatware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My Samsung has a few of those so I'll comment
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 7:16 AM PST

Without the battery manager I can't triple the battery life span. So if you consider it bloatware, sure, why not eject it and exchange this for that?

The network item lets us turn on/off the wifi and make connections. If you don't use WiFi, then eject that.

-> It goes on and on so research what each does and decide.

I think I see this when a desktop user steps onto a laptop with all these management tools. They are used to clean desktop installs where we didn't care about battery life cycles and such.
Bob

Collapse -
Research
by BrokenEye3 / February 23, 2014 7:23 AM PST

Well, I tried researching each individually but this proved problematic as I wasn't able to find answers for many of them, and I don't really understand the overly technical explanations that I am able to find, and therefore unable to determine if or how removing them would effect my computer.

There were a few I was able to get answers by researching, but I've already removed/decided to keep those, so they aren't on the list here.

Collapse -
Then about Samsung.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Research

If they won't answer why keep this? It's poor support if not downright shoddy documentation. I figured out most of those but I'd be here writing a lot. Let Samsung earn their keep?
Bob

Collapse -
Or...
by BrokenEye3 / February 23, 2014 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: Then about Samsung.

Or you could just tell me what you figured out.

More than half of the programs listed aren't Samsung things, by the way.

Collapse -
I did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: Or...

Let's see if others will write more but most of those are the usual apps to make it all work. But since some could be personal choices that is, chasing that elusive clean install then you as the owner have to weigh if battery life extension is worth anything to you.
Bob

Collapse -
Oh I see
by BrokenEye3 / February 24, 2014 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: I did.

Your previous comment "I figured out most of those but I'd be here writing a lot. Let Samsung earn their keep?" made it sound as if you withholding some additional information. If that's not the case, then never mind. I guess I'll wait for another response, then.

Collapse -
Do you see?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2014 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: Oh I see

Let's take 2 more. These spell out exactly what they do.
"Fast Start
I.R.I.S. OCR"

If you don't want a faster start or don't use OCR, then you can remove them. I can't make that decision for you.

But if you do remove them, be sure you have a backup to restore from. I don't want you to be upset but isn't it something that Samsung should answer? Here I can pick up the phone, dial 1800SAMSUNG and ask. Did you try that?
Bob

Collapse -
What's OCR
by BrokenEye3 / February 25, 2014 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Do you see?

What's OCR?

Collapse -
Optical Character Recognition
by wpgwpg / February 25, 2014 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: What's OCR

When you scan something, it comes in as a single graphic. If it's a letter you want to edit, you have to use OCR to convert it to text.

Collapse -
Gotcha
by BrokenEye3 / February 25, 2014 10:16 AM PST

Oh, okay. Yeah, that seems like the sort of thing I'd want to keep. Ya know, just in case.

Collapse -
Re: what is OCR
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: What's OCR
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.