Phones forum

General discussion

Which new cell phone plan?

by wlpncp / November 23, 2010 3:21 AM PST

My wife and I use about 1200 minutes per month. The main call is between my wife and a friend in Maryland who is on AT&T. I need a plan that will allow my wife to call her friend without using the friend's minutes. Would Verizon's "Friends and Family" plan meet this need? Does T-Mobile have such a plan? I saw that CNET gave a good rating to the Samsung SGH-T249 (T-Mobile) phone. We need just the simplest, most basic phone. What plans/phone do you recommend? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which new cell phone plan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which new cell phone plan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
plan
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 5:18 AM PST

At&t's Family Talk plans do include unlimited mobile to mobile to any At&t cellular phone (whether it is an incoming our outbound call). There is a Family Talk 1400 plan that should suit your needs. It does include Rollover minutes and unlimited Night & Weekend minutes. I believe that the shared plans (w/ at least 1400 minutes) include "A-list" that allows you to setup 10 phone #'s (landline or other cell phone #'s that are not At&t). Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Also, the friend's plan may be an issue
by Pepe7 / November 23, 2010 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: plan

FWIW, the OP would also have to ascertain whether or not the friend shared the free M2M feature so she doesn't quickly deplete her bucket of minutes.

Collapse -
Verizon
by BumbleBbee / November 23, 2010 10:50 AM PST

IMO...Verizon is the best way to go if neither your wife or her friend are stuck in a contract. If your wife's friend is stuck with AT&T and your primary concern is using up her minutes, then it doesn't matter which carrier you're on; it will use up her minutes. An option, however, if you're not locked in to AT&T is to go to Verizon and maybe even pick up an extra phone ($9.99 per month on Family Plan). All calls between Verizon customers are unlimited. I hope this wasn't repetitive and it helps. And BTW...if the majority of those 1200 minutes are between the wife and friend and you go with my suggestion, you can probably drop down to the minimal 700 minute plan (which doesn't include friends and family, but that won't matter since the other phone is a Verizon phone).

Collapse -
Thanks to all responders
by wlpncp / November 24, 2010 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: Verizon

Thank you all. My wife's friend will definitely be staying with AT&T. Does that mean my wife and I have to stay with AT&T also to avoid using up the friend's minutes? If my wife and I don't have to stay with AT&T to accomplish this, what other carriers and simple, basic cell phones do you suggest?

Collapse -
free mobile to mobile
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 25, 2010 1:17 AM PST

Just like At&t's "A-List" that allows you to choose 10 phone #'s (landline or cellular from any company)to be considered free, Verizon also offers a nearly identical "Friends & Family" feature.

I have it on my Family Share 1400 plan w/ Verizon and it is available on all shared plans w/ at least 1400 minutes and up.

If you are satisfied w/ At&t, leave it with them and there will be no worries for you.

Collapse -
stuck
by BumbleBbee / November 26, 2010 1:08 AM PST

in that case, I think you're stuck with AT&T.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.