HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

which motherboard is better?

by Driftingsoul_s15 / March 18, 2007 9:58 PM PDT

i want to buy a new computer(for gaming).i'd like to buy amd x2 3800+,1gb ddr2 ram,geforce 7600gt pci-e display card,but i don't know which motherboard to chose between asus and msi.

my friend told me that the msi nforce chipset motherboard is good for gaming n the asus motherboard may occur problem while playing game(maybe pc will automatic restart during loading).n he said the almost asus motherboard using via chipset,he said the via chipset is not good for playing games,is it true?n most of u will chose which brand n what chipset to be ur motherboard?

i hope u all will give me some suggestions....
thanks!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which motherboard is better?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which motherboard is better?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would choose an Intel Conroe core CPU
by Ray Harinec / March 18, 2007 10:26 PM PDT

and a mobo to go with that.

Be carefull about the mobos using the Intel chipset because some of them no longer have any PATA IDE ports, only SATA.

The ones using the nvidia 680 chipset will have one [two drive].

Collapse -
re: motherboard
by ramarc / March 19, 2007 4:29 AM PDT

i assume you're going with amd because of price since intel's core2duo outperforms the athlon x2 line across the board. the least expensive core2duo (e43000) is $170 while the x2 3800+ is about $105.

you'll find nforce based motherboards from both asus and msi, so your friend's statements are completely incorrect. you didn't mention your budget, but if i were spending no more than $100 on a mobo now, these are the two i'd choose from:

amd athlon x2: asus m2n-e, nforce 570 chipset, $99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131022

intel core2duo: msi p965 neo-f, intel p965 chipset, $95:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130052

if you decide to go with the core2duo, check the memory compatibility for the motherboard you select since some are quite finicky about ddr2-800 ram.

Collapse -
benchmarks for x2 and core2duo
by ramarc / March 19, 2007 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: re: motherboard
Collapse -
re: motherboard
by Driftingsoul_s15 / March 19, 2007 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: re: motherboard

actually i'm from malaysia....
my budget for buying motherboard is about RM400-RM500(approx.$100-$125).n i think the motherboard which u recomended me(asus m2n-e, nforce 570 chipset)is suitable for me....thanks for ur suggestion.....

one more question,is the nforce chipset motherboard is better than VIA chipset motherboard for gaming?
thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.