PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Which Motherboard for a Intel Q6700?

I want to have a Custom Desktop with an Intel Q6700 inside.

I was looking for something that can support up to 4 SATA Hard Drives, has the ability in the BIOS to be able to boot from a USB Device (I guess that is standard now?), and can support both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM once that becomes more affordable.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Motherboard for a Intel Q6700?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Motherboard for a Intel Q6700?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go to Newegg.com you can search on that criteria

In reply to: Which Motherboard for a Intel Q6700?

socket 775, DDR2 and DDR3, etc., and see the buyer comment/reviews.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
don't get ddr2+ddr3 support

In reply to: Which Motherboard for a Intel Q6700?

it's pointless since at the same speed, there's virtually no performance difference (ddr2 has the edge at 1066 or less because of lower latency) and the board will have half the capacity of a regular board (usually only 2-4gb vs. 4-8gb). get a ddr3 board when it becomes affordable.

if you don't have the q6700 now, wait 2 more weeks since intel is finally releasing the q9000 series. the 2.83ghz 12mb L2 q9550 will be about $590 (vs. the 2.66ghz 8mb L2 q6700 for $540). the 2.66ghz 12mb L2 q9450 will be about $350 and outperform the q6700 by about 10%.

look for a board based on the x38 or x48 chipset for best performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+107172333&Configurator=&Subcategory=280&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=
go with a p35 board for good performance at a lower price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+107172277&Configurator=&Subcategory=280&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

Collapse -
Difference between Q6600 and Q6700?

In reply to: here's a great combo deal on q6700

There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the Q6600 and the Q6700 outside of the $200 price difference. Has that been the experience of everyone else? I'm sort of wondering if what is to me a small performance boost is worth the extra $200

Collapse -
Only you can decide at what point the price increase

In reply to: Difference between Q6600 and Q6700?

is too great for the extra performance..in this case about 260Mhz.

If you need every ounce of performance the system can give, then get the Q6700. But for me the Q6700 wasn't worth the extra $$. Unless you get a super deal ... where the Q6700 is priced much much closer to the Q6600, you could save yourself $300 or put it toward something that can really give you greater return on investment.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.