General discussion

Which mobo+CPU should we keep?

Need advice here. Please.
We've got 2 old motherboard+CPUs. We plan to sell one & keep the other - and add other older components to make one PC.
We have an AGP8X card (6600LE), PCI soundcard (soundblaster live), 2 hard drives (20GB & 80GB), DVD reader-writer.
Which one should we keep?
#1: AMD Athlon XP 1600+, Socket A, 256 L2 cache, 756MB RAM (DDR266), MSI K7TPro2 board
#2: AMD Sempron 3000+, Socket 754, 128 L2 cache, 512MB RAM (DDR400), MSI K8MM3-V board

I'm thinking that we should go with the Sempron CPU + K8MM3 board (#2) - primarily cuz the K8MM3 board supports AGP8X & uses DDR400 RAM & the K7TPro2 board only supports AGP4x uses DDR266 RAM.
BUT someone told me that the Sempron isn't a "gaming CPU" (???) - same person said that he's not sure if it supports 64bit AND that it only has 128 L2 cache - I have absolutely NO idea what all that stuff is about.
Can someone give me advice here? And please explain the 64-bit L2 cache thing as well?
Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Which mobo+CPU should we keep?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Which mobo+CPU should we keep?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Ok, you ask for opinions..I will give mine.

If I am correct, I don't think either one are 64bit processor, and also I wouldn't classified either one as a GAME computer. With that out of the way; I would keep the board that supports the 8x card. Just my 2 cents.

- Collapse -
(NT) This is a duplicate post from Desktop

CNET Forums

Forum Info